Gransnet forums

Chat

Living alone - live webchat with Virginia Ironside, Thursday 12 July, 1-2pm

(79 Posts)
GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 03-Jul-12 15:41:18

We've had lots of discussion on the forums about the pros and cons of living alone. The author and journalist Virginia Ironside will be joining us on 12 July to talk answer questions on loneliness and choosing to be alone, her career as an agony aunt and what getting older has taught her.

Virginia will be appearing at this year's Edinburgh festival in her show Growing Old Disgracefully, which has been adapted from her book The Virginia Monologues - Why Growing Old Is Great.

janepearce6 Tue 10-Jul-12 11:20:03

There is no one else to snatch the remote control. Ive been alone for nearly years - cant believe it is so long but I'm almost never lonely, but delighted to be with others at times. Although fairly gregarious, I'm surprised I don't need others and of course pleased that I don't because I've lost a lot of friends who have died young. I don't think it makes me selfish, although I realise I don't have to consider anybody in the same house - but children and grandchildren are there to be considered and that is nice too! sunshine

Barrow Tue 10-Jul-12 16:40:46

I was married for 42 years and we were together for 3 years before that. It is difficult to make a life after so many years as a couple but as Merlot said there is a difference between being alone and being lonely. I have friends that I see regularly and although I have no immediate family of my own, my husbands family are very supportive and we see each other regularly. I find the hardest time is on Sundays. That was the day we used to spend together, no matter what else was happening - that was our day.

I live in the country and as most groups meet during the evening it means coming back home in the dark - I can't say I enjoy that very much. I just wish there were more groups that met during the day.

jeni Tue 10-Jul-12 16:53:08

Start a Sunday afternoon group?

merlotgran Tue 10-Jul-12 18:30:15

I've always thought that Saturday is the day that centres on the family and/or the man of the house. Women tend to go with the flow in terms of hobbies, activities and getting the shopping done. Sunday, however, centres around the woman. Whether cooking for just two or a family or going out with OH, it's the day I would find hardest to cope with if I found myself alone. I understand how Barrow feels.

Catherinep Wed 11-Jul-12 13:55:06

I'm ok on my own most of the time - but I hate bank holidays. I'd love a coping strategy.

sophiesgranny Wed 11-Jul-12 13:56:24

I live alone. Very happily so. My problem is trying to get my (lovely) children to understand I'm not just saying that. Any ideas? Thanks

chocolateaddict Wed 11-Jul-12 14:00:30

Hope it's ok to go slightly off topic - but I would love to know more about what it's like to be an agony aunt. Did you have to get special qualifications? Do people's problems ever stay with you? And have you ever given an answer you wish you hadn't?

effblinder Wed 11-Jul-12 14:43:39

About being an agony aunt: what do you think about sites like Gransnet, where we help each other through our problems, with lots of different voices and experiences giving a wide variety of approaches to a problem.

Do you think there are merits to agony aunt approach over this or vice versa at all?

Silverbirch Wed 11-Jul-12 15:35:11

One of the hardest things for me when my husband died, as well as the pain of loss, was being challenged by some practical things, that I had left to him, and managing the finances so Mamie I would suggest that you share skills as much as possible now, so there are not areas where you might in the future be particularly vulnerablex

jeni Wed 11-Jul-12 15:48:14

mamie I would agree with diver birch.

Silverbirch Wed 11-Jul-12 20:09:09

I live alone now and I have got fairly used to my own company and most of the time I don't feel lonely.I appreciate time to myself. I am often grateful for the quiet as I have chronic fatigue and sometimes need to rest. I like to paint and garden and listen to music and see my family and friends and go for walks, and this all nourishes me. It does become more difficult though when I dont have a choice and simply have to be very quiet,then I can start to feel isolated because I can then find people tiring. So I think its probably easier to cope with living alone if one is fit and healthy, and can create a fuller life outside as well as inside the homex

Grannyruth Thu 12-Jul-12 12:22:55

Do you think there is a secret to living alone happily/successfully? Especially if you're new to it? People often say it's fine when you're out with friends, but what's hard is having someone to do nothing with.

praxis Thu 12-Jul-12 12:27:25

Any tips on getting through those times when you just feel really low and wish there was someone else around? Presumably you feel like that sometimes, even if you like living alone on the whole?

Hankipanki Thu 12-Jul-12 12:49:20

Hello Virginia

I will not be around for the live webchat so I would like to pose a question now.

I feel that loneliness is not only a problem for some people who live alone but many of us in a relationship can sometimes feel very lonely too. It can happpen for many reasons both physical or mental health problems. I sometimes feel more lonely when my partner is there than when I am alone. It feels like being shut out and can sometimes last for several days. Apart from leaving the relationship have you any tips on how to cope with the lonely times.

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 12-Jul-12 13:00:23

We're delighted that Virginia's here and she's supplied with a cup of tea and some sushi smile so we're ready to go....

Marcia Thu 12-Jul-12 13:02:20

I hope I'm not too late to join in? Ten years on I am still struggling with my divorce. It's not so much the practicalities of living alone as the fact my ex has remarried and I can't help feel bitter that he has someone to share the emotional stuff (a few things going on with our kids) with while I don't. Friends just aren't the same. Any ideas?

upwardsandonwards Thu 12-Jul-12 13:03:12

I see that your show (or perhaps it was your book?) is about the twenty best things about getting older. What would you say are the top three?

VirginiaIronside Thu 12-Jul-12 13:03:57

sixtiesgirl

As having been an 'almost' only child, yes, I do like my own company and the peace to indulge my hobies, so that part of growing older doesn't bother me. However, should we not also touch on the other subject of growing older and that is 'our appearance' and 'health'. Do you, Virginia, feel a grieving for 'the way we used to look' and the stamina and tiptop health of youth? I do.

No, I don't! My experience is that so many older people let themselves go that with only a very little effort it's extremely easy to look a lot more glam than quite a few contemporaries. As for health, having suffered depression all through my youth, which is worse than anything, a bit of arthritis now doesn't bother me at all - it's a welcome relief in fact! Anything is better than being depressed.

granIT Thu 12-Jul-12 13:05:41

I believe you had a facelift a few years ago. What made you decide to do that? As someone who now celebrates getting older, do you still feel it was a good idea?

curlynan Thu 12-Jul-12 13:05:45

My main worry about living on my own is what happens in an emergency. Can you suggest some steps to put in place in case? I have friends who live in sheltered accommodation and they have alarms to press - but in my own home I can't see any alternative bar making it to the phone. And if I was seriously ill or hurt that wouldn't necessarily be possible or practical

VirginiaIronside Thu 12-Jul-12 13:06:21

Greatnan

I would like to ask Virginia why it is so hard for people to accept that some of us actually like living alone. I know it is not for everybody, but it is so annoying when people insist that I must be lonely as if it couldn't possibly be a deliberate choice.

To be honest I don't think you should get annoyed because it's very kind of them to worry about you, even if you're not worried about yourself. So I would just smile graciously and say: "How kind of you to be so sympathetic! But I'm one of the lucky people who actually like being alone." And remember, too, how lucky you are. Because lots of people hate being alone.

Clarrie Thu 12-Jul-12 13:09:52

If you are lonely, how do you get over it? What would you recommend to someone (like me) who is shy and finds it difficult to make the first move?

VirginiaIronside Thu 12-Jul-12 13:09:56

Maniac

Lived alone for 30 yrs.Most of the time happy with that.-have good friends and neighbours.- lots of activities -changing as l become less mobile.
Virginia -love your books -bought 'No!I Don't Want to Join a Book Club' on publication .-Hilarious.
I would like to ask what you suggest for holidays and weekends which can be a bit lonely.

They can be a bit hard, I agree. I have two strategies. One is to say to myself that I NEVER go out on Saturday nights. That way when I don't go out, I don't feel alone or neglected. And the other is, of course, to make endless plans. What so few people realise is that living alone is really like a full-time career and it requires a huge amount of work. Friendships need to be watered, you have to ask people round if you expect to be asked over, and you have to arrange jaunts, instigate phone calls and so on. It's much more relaxing not being alone, in my view, and living alone can be exhausting, even if fun.

VirginiaIronside Thu 12-Jul-12 13:12:33

granIT

I believe you had a facelift a few years ago. What made you decide to do that? As someone who now celebrates getting older, do you still feel it was a good idea?

I realised that having been so depressed when I was young, I was looking terribly gloomy. Since I was feeling so much happier, I wanted my face to reflect that - hence the facelift. I have to say it's been one of the best things I've ever done. Because I look happier, people feel happier when they meet me, and so I respond in a more smiley way and so on.

Frenchface Thu 12-Jul-12 13:13:24

A couple of years ago you said you would kill a sick child. Some people took this to mean you were in favour of euthanasia for disability. Is this what you meant? And if not, how do you judge the nature of someone else's suffering?