Gransnet forums

Chat

Living alone - live webchat with Virginia Ironside, Thursday 12 July, 1-2pm

(79 Posts)
GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 03-Jul-12 15:41:18

We've had lots of discussion on the forums about the pros and cons of living alone. The author and journalist Virginia Ironside will be joining us on 12 July to talk answer questions on loneliness and choosing to be alone, her career as an agony aunt and what getting older has taught her.

Virginia will be appearing at this year's Edinburgh festival in her show Growing Old Disgracefully, which has been adapted from her book The Virginia Monologues - Why Growing Old Is Great.

Greatnan Thu 12-Jul-12 16:01:41

I felt a bit patronised by her reply - exactly the way I feel when people insist I must be lonely! They are not being sympathetic or worrying about me - they are usually trying to make me feel that I am missing out on something.

nanaplus Thu 12-Jul-12 23:16:55

I have lived alone for the last 20 years and could not imagine having to share my life with anyone for any length of time. I enjoy having family and friends to stay, but find a short time is enough. It is so good to be able to read without feeling guilty. I also travelled a lot on my own and the great advantage of that, was that I always manage to meet local people and learn much more about the countries I have travelled to. This never happens when I travel with friends. Unfortunately, these days are now over, as insurance costs are too high. Take every opportunity while you have the chance.

Greatnan Fri 13-Jul-12 07:29:58

nanaplus - I get travel insurance by using my Gold Mastercard. I have to pay for the card (€96) because there is a charge for everything in French banks, but as I travel a lot it is well worth it, as I am 71.