Gransnet forums

Chat

Patriotic

(47 Posts)
Nonu Sun 31-Aug-14 14:47:10

I like to think I am, I love coming back to this little old Country,after holidays, flaws and all.

This green and pleasant land , I say !!

smile & sunshine to all

glammanana Sun 31-Aug-14 14:54:09

No place like home Nonu where ever that may be.

Nonu Sun 31-Aug-14 15:00:32

You have nailed it in one , GLAM, hon.

I have a little plaque on my wall given to me by one the "KIDS" which says
HOME IS WHERE THE HEART IS.
I love it !
smile

hildajenniJ Sun 31-Aug-14 15:11:19

I love these islands! I would quite happily set up home in any of them. I enjoy foreign travel but "east, west, home's best". smile

petra Sun 31-Aug-14 15:15:57

I love it, warts and all. Up until a year ago I would be on the ferry to Dover at least twice a year and the feeling of pride never left me every time I saw the white cliffs.
In 1996 we took our boat ( it was our home) through France for a year. I had my whole home with me, I could buy English newspapers, I could watch UK telly. But the feeling of home sickness would overwhelm me at times. I used to cry sometimes.

glammanana Sun 31-Aug-14 15:18:46

Nonu I have one of those plaque's also and one which says,"A lovely lady and a grumpy old man live here" also from my DGCs

durhamjen Sun 31-Aug-14 15:19:34

Is that patriotism, though, or should that be asked on the philosophy thread?
Surely a true patriot does not go abroad for holidays.

Nonu Sun 31-Aug-14 15:29:19

I have got a plaque that says
A Lovely lady
&.
A handsome man live here.

I actually only bought it on Friday from QD if you have a store near you!

I have told Mr N though if he misbehaves I will rub the lower part off.
not that is likely , but never know !

CHUCKLE, CHUCKLE

Nonu Sun 31-Aug-14 15:30:51

DUR,
Why ever not ?

durhamjen Sun 31-Aug-14 15:35:46

Because you love your country so much that you cannot stand to go to another one, even for a few days?

Elegran Sun 31-Aug-14 15:40:56

Could patriots be going abroad for their hols so as to enjoy returning home? Like beating your head against a brick wall - so nice when you stop?

I think that one needs to be on the philosophy thread, DurhamJen

Nonu Sun 31-Aug-14 15:46:39

Just because I go on holiday, Doesn"t mean I don"t love this Country .

One has to see^ other^ places don"t cha know, the to truly appreciate this pretty country.

I include the US of A and Mauritius in that, where I go a lot.

smile

Nelliemoser Sun 31-Aug-14 16:01:51

I agree!I don't know if I would call it patriotism though, but I do love our UK landscape, in all seasons.

Spain, Greece etc might be warmer but the UK is so varied and beautiful.

I get Elegrans point. Come back from hot dry countries abroad and the UK looks so green and lovely in comparison.

Elegran Sun 31-Aug-14 16:04:09

I agree that you can love your own country and enjoy seeing others too.

feetlebaum Sun 31-Aug-14 16:42:51

Ah - was it Doctor Johnson who said it was the last resort of a scoundrel?

I think the problem is that people confuse patriotism with nationalism. Also it leads to such thoughts as 'my country - right or wrong'

I am happy in the country of my birth - I have seen a few parts of the world that I liked very much, and some I wouldn't want to go back to. But I no longer have a valid passport, and am content where I am.

I certainly take no pride in being born here - I didn't have any say in the matter!

HollyDaze Sun 31-Aug-14 17:06:57

My husband and I bought a beautiful house in Spain with stunning views from every window. It took 12 months for me to admit that I was homesick - I missed the Island too much.

This is home.

Nonu Sun 31-Aug-14 17:22:34

According to Collins English Dictionary, 21st Edition.

PATRIOT
Person who vigourously supports his Country and it"s way of life.

NATIONALISM
loyalty and devotion to One"s country.

SOUND THE SAME TO ME.

Don"t see anywhere , that one is not allowed to holiday in other Countries.

[Hmm]

annodomini Sun 31-Aug-14 17:30:31

I think it's '....the last refuge of a scoundrel', Feetle, not that it makes much difference. The dictionary definition doesn't reflect current usage. In fact, I think I'd put it the other way around. Patriotism is, to me, a more respectable attitude than nationalism which has, in recent years, become more suggestive of flag-waving extremism. Can one be a patriot without being a nationalist or vice versa? Quick, GNHQ, bring in that philosophy forum, please!

Mamie Sun 31-Aug-14 17:54:53

Interesting. England, my country right or wrong: definitely not.
I like going to England; I speak the same language, the shopping is good, part of my family is there.
France: our home is here, our lovely friends and neighbours are here, the view from my window could be anywhere in the southern half of England. I can flip flop between French and English now without thinking about it (I still make mistakes, but my friends say "we like it, it's sweet".)
I am English in Normandy. Seems fine to me.

KatyK Sun 31-Aug-14 18:08:06

Well we go abroad a lot but I am patriotic. I love this country. My parents emigrated from Southern Ireland so I have no English blood but I consider myself English although I love my Irish heritage too. My parents were always grateful to this country for giving them a living which they could not have at home and were never heard to knock it in any way.

absentgrandma Sun 31-Aug-14 18:27:03

Like Mamie I love where I am,mountains in the distance, a pretty, unspoilt village to live in, glorious summers, and a life away from shopping malls, 24 hour trading and the constant obsession with making money..... but on the rare ocassions I fly back to the Uk I must admit to a silly lump in the throat when the plane approaches the beautiful Surrey countryside. Then I fight my way through Gatwick having been treated like an illegal immigrant and I know why I would find it the most depressing place on earth to spend my declining years. But that's not to say I'm not a patriot....I just wish some of the people living in the UK were as patriotic as mesad

Mishap Sun 31-Aug-14 18:29:00

Whenever I return from abroad the first thing that strikes me, and that I miss when I am away, is the green - it is everywhere and nothing quite like it anywhere else.

Mamie Sun 31-Aug-14 18:30:41

I think after nearly ten years, that some things in England are starting to seem alien and France is feeling more familiar. In the first five years I would not have felt that and we were clear then that we did not want to grow very old and die in France. Now, I don't think it bothers us so much. The roots are going deeper, even though we know that we will need a smaller property that is easier to manage.
I like Spain, my son, DiL and grandchildren are there, but I still cheer when I cross back into France.
Both France and Spain have landscapes every bit as varied and beautiful as the UK, though.

Nonu Sun 31-Aug-14 18:39:37

ABSENT, well there is one here , posting even as we speak !!

smile

absentgrandma Sun 31-Aug-14 18:54:24

My most difficult time comes in Febuary when the Six Nations championship takes place..... oh heck..... do I support England, France, Ireland(I'm half Irish) or Italy (half Italian)? As my DD says ' It's called keeping your options open, mother'. In this rugby-mad part of France we were treated like royalty when England won the World Cup in 2003..... oh how I basked in the reflected glory!