Gransnet forums

Chat

Does it matter if you live in a 'Street'

(105 Posts)
kittylester Thu 30-Oct-14 09:18:30

Another of my Mum's Mrs Bucket moments yesterday:

For the 20th time on this visit alone

Mum: So, where do all your children live?
Me: Well, DS1 lives in a flat in town, DS2 lives in our village, DD1 lives in Derby, DD.........
Mum: Where in Derby does she live?
Me: *** Street.
Mum: Oh!
Me: What do you mean 'Oh'
Mum: A Street (along the same lines as 'A handbag!!')

It set me wondering whether addresses count nowadays? I've said before that we live on what was called 'Catsick Lane' so I don't have leg to stand on grin

Mum would be very impressed if anyone lived in a Close or on a Crescent - do you judge people by their addresses?

FlicketyB Sun 09-Nov-14 11:05:48

kitty I have been fascinated by the 1st Duke of Wellington ever since I was at school. I think it was because everybody thought of him as useless and unlikely to achieve anything in his childhood and he proved them all wrong. I thin I had a fellow feeling for the first bit.

In these non-judgemental times I see no harm in sometimes being judgemental. It is not what you do it is the way that you do it.

Nytsom Sat 08-Nov-14 23:05:09

Only self centred people judge others!

Judge not lest you be judged,

kittylester Sat 08-Nov-14 19:53:58

Thanks flickety. I remembered later and should have come back and said!

FlicketyB Sat 08-Nov-14 19:48:37

kittylester No 1 London, aka Apsley House, the London home of the Dukes of Wellington. It is at Hyde Park Corner.

It is known by the name No 1, London, not because of the Duke of Wellington, but because when it was built about 100 years earlier it overlooking the main turnpike into central London.

rosequartz Thu 06-Nov-14 19:51:48

We live in a 'Way'. The way to where you may ask - well nowhere, it is a cul-de-sac.

janeainsworth Wed 05-Nov-14 20:43:07

We have driven through Virginia today to stay with DS and family.
We passed by Witchesduck Road and Henpeck Road shock

Frankie your brother might have known Dad - Mr Twiss. He taught science.
When I worked at Mr Garlick's we saw some of his patients when he was on holiday.

FlicketyB Wed 05-Nov-14 19:33:32

We have twice bought houses on new estates. Both were situated in a 'close', one named after the type of house we bought, the other after the surname of the building company's managing director1

Lilygran Wed 05-Nov-14 17:29:11

granjura that makes me cross, too. It also makes me cross when they take two attractive words and stick them together so they don't make sense - Barley Orchard? Apple Field? Lavender Close?

FlicketyB Wed 05-Nov-14 16:31:16

Flowerofthewest, DH lives in Letchworth Garden City and I had never noticed. She lives in a 'place', really a roughly quadrilateral shape with a continuous road round it and two exits. Possibly better described as a doughnut.

numberplease Wed 05-Nov-14 15:12:01

We used to have a factory next door, they made duvets, pillows, etc, wagon loads of feathers were delivered on a regular basis. It was demolished a few years back, to our relief, and an estate of new houses and flats went up, the estate is called The Featherworks.

granjura Wed 05-Nov-14 11:18:27

Your mum is priceless Kitty- I am glad you can still laugh about it- the only way to survive...

Digressing here- but I felt in the UK many lanes, cul-de-sacs and closes, and some streets- deserved the attention of the Trades Description Act- as developers give them the names of whatever was DESTROYED in the building process- be it 'Bluebell Lane' 'Fox Covert' 'Badgers' Close', and the like- to make them sound bucolic and attractive sad

Flowerofthewest Tue 04-Nov-14 22:05:22

We have but one 'Street' in Letchworth Garden City Cross Street and it is in one of most affluent parts of town. just saying

Nelliemoser Tue 04-Nov-14 07:53:52

There is/was a Cat Brain Lane on what was once the northern border of Bristol and South Gloucestershire somewhere near Cribbs Causeway.

janeainsworth Mon 03-Nov-14 11:37:28

when I'd love to come to one of the NW meet-ups - unfortunately we're getting back from the US on Thursday 13th, so can't make the next one sad

BlueBelle Mon 03-Nov-14 11:26:44

We have a Squeeze Gut Alley near us too

kittylester Mon 03-Nov-14 10:57:05

I would quite like - Number 1, London (and now I've gone and forgotten who lived/lives there! [embarrassed]confused

TheMillersTale Mon 03-Nov-14 08:52:20

I always thought that street and road and lane were more 'upmarket' than 'crescent' and 'drive' but then there's 'Blenheim Crescent' confused.

However the most 'U' of all is simply to be '*****House, followed by the name of the town surely?

whenim64 Mon 03-Nov-14 07:49:49

Ooh, all these familiar local references to parts of Stockport. We must surely have passed each other on the street all those years ago. Another here who has lived in Heaton Moor and Marple, now in South Manchester. Don't forget we have a northwest meetup next week if you're able to come smile

frankie74 Mon 03-Nov-14 07:25:44

Ann...Hazel Grove was indeed very near. Jazz at the Bamboo Club in particular in the 60's and 70's.

Jane…one of my bros went to Davenport School for about a year, prior to half our family moving to New Zealand in 1974.

Funny about dentists. we knew of Mr Garlick's practice, obviously, as he was our nearest. But our mum chose Mr O'Connell near Stockport Grammar School for us. I think she had a 'further away is better' mentality, - I also went to Fylde Lodge High School, instead of Stockport High, which was much nearer.

My dad had Taylors bicycle shop on Great Moor. Yes, am very nostalgic about Stockport, but am sure a lot has changed now.

Incidentally, and to get back on-topic, my friend who lived on Flowery Field had previously lived on Gladstone Street, Great Moor. After her parents failed to get Stockport council to change the name to a Road, they moved to Flowery Field :-)

janeainsworth Sun 02-Nov-14 20:21:03

Ann He must be over 80 by now. He was very kind, letting me work in the practice after I had done O Levels, to get some work experience.

annsixty Sun 02-Nov-14 17:38:58

Janea Mr. Garlick was still on Buxton Road not all that many years ago. And Frankie I live in Hazel Grove (on a road)which must be your old stamping ground.

janeainsworth Sun 02-Nov-14 16:36:32

Hi Frankie smile
My Dad used to teach at Davenport School, from when it opened in the early 60s I think, before that at Alexandra Park in Edgeley when it was an all-age school.
I used to cycle through Woodsmoor on my way to work at Mr Garlick's dental practice on Buxton Road.
Loved Stockport.

Nonu Sun 02-Nov-14 15:01:36

Don"t think it matters one single jot whether it is, , road , street ,close etc. as long as you are happy there, we are most certainly happy in our street.
smile

kittylester Sun 02-Nov-14 14:24:33

In Shrewsbury number there is Grope Lane which is also very narrow!

frankie74 Sun 02-Nov-14 14:22:12

I also should add that my mum used to say that my friend on Flowery Field was alright till she opened her mouth! So who was the snob?