Gransnet forums

Chat

Does it matter if you live in a 'Street'

(104 Posts)
kittylester Thu 30-Oct-14 09:18:30

Another of my Mum's Mrs Bucket moments yesterday:

For the 20th time on this visit alone

Mum: So, where do all your children live?
Me: Well, DS1 lives in a flat in town, DS2 lives in our village, DD1 lives in Derby, DD.........
Mum: Where in Derby does she live?
Me: *** Street.
Mum: Oh!
Me: What do you mean 'Oh'
Mum: A Street (along the same lines as 'A handbag!!')

It set me wondering whether addresses count nowadays? I've said before that we live on what was called 'Catsick Lane' so I don't have leg to stand on grin

Mum would be very impressed if anyone lived in a Close or on a Crescent - do you judge people by their addresses?

shysal Thu 30-Oct-14 09:27:46

You can't judge a road by it's name. I know a Blossoms Glade which is on a scruffy run down caravan site. I think sometimes posh names are given to compensate for the lack of character in the area.
Proud to say that I live in a Drive, with some nice houses, but mine is a tiny terraced two up two down. smile

merlotgran Thu 30-Oct-14 09:30:31

I wonder if we do it unconsciously? Our address is ........Farm. It used to be ........Farm Bungalow because our two acre smallholding was part of a much larger farm. I was quick to drop the Bungalow part of the address because I didn't want people to think we lived in a tied house.

The farm road outside the property is traditionally referred to as a drove. After 25 years planting hedges and trees alongside our bit it's now very pretty so I call it a lane. grin

DD is living in a static caravan at the bottom of our garden while we do a building conversion. She insists on calling it a mobile home!!

I think we all have a bit of HB in us.

Lilygran Thu 30-Oct-14 09:30:48

What about 'Road'? Like a lot of cities, but this more than most I think, we have whole areas of development called Samename Close, Avenue, Crescent, Street and other variations and it is a nightmare to find addresses. And the names in the area are often similar, famous literary figures or south coast towns or fruit. Nothing very distinctive about these!

MiceElf Thu 30-Oct-14 09:31:42

Downing Street smile

Agus Thu 30-Oct-14 09:37:00

I live on a Road, DD1 lives on a Drive. Do we get approval? I would love to see your mum's reaction if I told her DD2's address in Australia! grin Lots of Aboriginal street names which I find difficult to remember.

Come to think of it, the only Street names I can think of are in the City but to answer your question, no, I don't judge people by their address.

KatyK Thu 30-Oct-14 09:59:31

We live on an Avenue. We are in the middle of a city. The 'Avenue' is tree lined but it is just a road full of small semi-detached houses with front gardens, some houses in good shape, some not.

rosequartz Thu 30-Oct-14 10:06:02

I always had aspirations to live in a tree-lined Avenue, but haven't managed it yet!

DD1's friends lived in Downing Street (in Australia).

Teetime Thu 30-Oct-14 10:06:21

I live in a 'Way' but its a new development so of course its beyond the pale. In one town in which I lived it was very fashionable to live in what was known as Poets Corner - e.g. Keats Close etc etc - in this town Poets Corner is not perhaps the fashionable address. I think you have to know the area- here its 'posher' to live in one of the villages and be known by the house name.

When I joined the Golf Club several ladies said 'Oh you live in the town' in a Hyacinth kind of way. Then once this had been identified I was asked if I lived in the single large three storey house when I said 'No' they were vague mewings and turnings of backs. I like to torment them at times- during a discussion on the tee the other day of what would you have liked to have been I said 'a Labour Peer' that stopped the conversation dead.

Marmight Thu 30-Oct-14 10:20:12

I live in a 'Place'. If asked for my address I occasionally just say * * * * Place and not the number, so they think I am very posh (which of course I am) grin

henetha Thu 30-Oct-14 10:54:17

I live in ** Park, which is appropiate as there are lots of trees.
It's not at all posh though. But very much out in the countryside.

sunseeker Thu 30-Oct-14 10:56:38

Grew up in a road, have lived in a street, avenue, close and now live in a lane. Have never judged anyone by where they live.

hildajenniJ Thu 30-Oct-14 11:07:33

I live on *Hill. Which, I have to add, is very steep when walking up from the river.
My DSis lives in a "Gardens" which sounds a lot nicer than it actually is.
We grew up on a council estate *Road.
I think we have progressed nicely.
No, I don't judge people by their address.

Lona Thu 30-Oct-14 11:08:16

I've lived in all sorts of roads, a crummy street and a Manor House on a lane [posh face], but I'm happiest here, in a road, in a terraced house.

I think it's a bit like the thread on childrens' names really, they pick such daft names for roads that you can't tell what they're going to be like.

newist Thu 30-Oct-14 11:10:35

I only have a house name, followed by the area in which I live, I don't know if that is posh, or not.

Ana Thu 30-Oct-14 11:16:24

Same here, newist.

annodomini Thu 30-Oct-14 11:35:39

I was born on a Drive, have lived on various Roads, a few months on a Street, an Avenue and nowadays my address sounds very posh: Park Lane, though not the one in London, in fact, a former miner's end terrace house.

MiniMouse Thu 30-Oct-14 11:46:48

My cousin lived in a London 'street', one of the most expensive roads in London!

'A rose by any other name . . .'

Nelliemoser Thu 30-Oct-14 11:50:51

KittyL grin

"Streets" do seem to have that vague idea of poverty as a literary concept.
The "mean streets" "Street people", "on the Streets." Which bears little reality to the level of prosperity or importance,

The word street was a Roman invention, Watling Street, Ermine Street, these and others were the important major roads built around Britain by the Romans. Impress on your mother how important they were. wink

Downing Street and Oxford Street are Posh.

Apart from some temporary rented houses.
The first house I lived in was an Avenue.
A Way, a Road, another Avenue, and a Close where I am now.
Son lives in a Woodlands Road. DD in a Park Way

janeainsworth Thu 30-Oct-14 11:51:11

I don't judge people by their addresses, but I think some addresses sound nicer than others.
I would have liked to live in Flowery Field in Stockport for that reason smile

Nelliemoser Thu 30-Oct-14 11:53:31

Teetime grin You are naughty winding them up like that.

Granny23 Thu 30-Oct-14 12:15:19

Thankfully, I was not born on a road but rather indoors at my Granny's house grin

mollie65 Thu 30-Oct-14 12:17:31

have lived in a ROAD, a CLOSE, a LANE but my last few houses (I tend to move frequently) have been 'name of house', 'village name', name of nearest town (could be 10 miles away) but some senders of parcels/cards cannot believe that there is no street name but I assure them that 'name of house' and postcode will be all the postie needs.
there is also a problem with couriers new to the area who satnav the post code but have no idea that I am nearly a mile away from where they are sat with their engine idling. Interestingly the post code is also the location of the post box (nearest) grin

rosequartz Thu 30-Oct-14 12:50:47

Granny23 grin not in the ambulance out in the road, then!

No-one ever uses our house name, only the number, and as the house was named after a tree which has since been chopped down it seems pointless to carry on using it.

shysal Thu 30-Oct-14 13:04:52

One of the places I walk frequently to make up my 10,000 steps a day is a village consisting of one road in a 3 mile loop. It has no numbers or road name, about 150 house names only. I am trying to memorize them, as I am often stopped by delivery drivers searching in vain. I haven't been able to assist yet, but one day I might. The poshest property has a very ordinary name, with 5 different gateways and grounds with alpacas.