Gransnet forums

Chat

NHS A&E staff.

(58 Posts)
glassortwo Sat 31-Jan-15 20:35:15

I spent last night in our local A&E department in Newcastle. My Father had to be admitted to hospital due to ongoing problems.

We arrived in the unit by ambulance at 11pm and my Mum and I left at 6.30 this morning and I can say that I take my hat off to the staff on A&E, how they could be cheery, professional and with the patience of saints I do not know.

It was pay weekend and the drunks came out in force to celebrate shock yes I have seen the programmes but have never experienced it first hand and I dont think I could be so charitable. The amount of Uni students that came through that door on a stretcher in a drunken stupor was astounding even after in our area where we have had students who have drowned in local rivers recently due to "reported drunkenness".

How those dedicated people can turn up night after night and know that the majority of patients will be admitted due to overindulgence is not a job its a vocation.

I take my hat off to them all.

durhamjen Sat 14-Feb-15 19:21:05

This is depressing.

www.hospitaldr.co.uk/blogs/web-news/all-ae-consultants-quit-at-alexandra-hospital

soontobe Sat 14-Feb-15 19:40:10

Did you mean to put that link on this thread?
Personally I dont think that that is appropriate.
But ultimately up to the op.

durhamjen Sat 14-Feb-15 19:51:14

Yes, I did. The people who go to that A&E will not be able to have a positive experience any more because all their A&E consultants have resigned.

durhamjen Sat 14-Feb-15 20:56:02

Just to explain a bit more, my father died in hospital on Valentine's Day in 2006. If the hospital had not had an A&E we would have had to drive over 40 miles to the next one. As it was, he was supposed to be going to the home he had been in the next day, as they said he had improved. Then we got a phone call to say he had deteriorated. Not even my sister who lived 2 miles away from the hospital managed to get there before he died, with no family there.

Iam64 Sun 15-Feb-15 18:56:16

Sincere condolences glassortwo and thanks for taking the time to post about your appreciative feelings for the A&E staff involved. flowers

moomin Sun 15-Feb-15 21:46:24

glass - only just read this thread. flowers to you and your family x

baubles Sun 15-Feb-15 21:51:51

flowers glass