Gransnet forums

Chat

I just bought a car!

(39 Posts)
Teetime Thu 05-Mar-15 15:52:03

When I retired five years ago DH and I decided to go down to one car which has been fine to be fair but recently I have been wanting my own car so I have juts bought a small, low emission second hand car a Suzuki Alto Play in Oyster Blue and I am so happy!!

hildajenniJ Thu 05-Mar-15 16:02:26

I wish I could have my own car. I dislike the Ford ka that DH has. The only thing it has in it's favour is that it is easy to park being a small car. Personally I would like a higher car which is easier to get into and out of. I am envy

tanith Thu 05-Mar-15 16:10:27

OH is retiring in a few months and we said we'd replace my car when he retired as its the one with the high driving position and we always take it when we go on trips. Well we finally got round to it a few weeks ago a new to us Qashqai, and I love it and am very happy. There is nothing like the independence of a car of ones own. I might let OH drive it if he's good. grin

tanith Thu 05-Mar-15 16:11:36

Forgot to say congrats Teetime , happy driving. flowers

KatyK Thu 05-Mar-15 16:18:41

How lovely. Oh how I wish I'd learned to drive sad

Coolgran65 Thu 05-Mar-15 16:35:28

DH has Qashqai and I love the height....So easy getting into, tho do have to dip my head.
I have a Focus 1600 which I love for its massive boot and ability to go up hills. (My last car was a Vauxhall Agila that got to 60 max on the hill on the motorway.)
However I don't do a lot of miles, only about 1400 this last year, but still like my own wheels smile

ninathenana Thu 05-Mar-15 17:00:55

We recently changed to a Vauxhall Meriva from Corsa because of the high driving position. Very happy with it.
DH doesn't drive, so my choice smile

loopylou Thu 05-Mar-15 17:06:06

Happy driving Teetime smile

kittylester Thu 05-Mar-15 17:06:53

Well done Teetime - complete freedom! I'd hate to be without my own car as I love driving and it's my own little world! Sad or what!

I think I've mentioned before my DSiL's friend who was persuaded that it was a good idea to have just the one car (his!!) when they both retired. During the first week of sharing she said that she'd have the car to go to my Sil's for coffee but he said he needed it himself and would drop her off and collect her. As he was dropping her off, he asked what time she would be ready to be collected. She said that around noon would do, but she'd ring him. At 11.55 he was outside, hooting to let her know he was there.

She bought herself a car later the same week!

tanith Thu 05-Mar-15 17:12:07

That was what I was afraid of kittylester, it does seem OTT to have two cars when we are both retired but I'm used to just getting in my own car and going where I want when I want. OH plays a lot of bowls in the Summer and he can be gone all day leaving me to walk or bus it if I want to go anywhere. Better having our own methinks grin

petra Thu 05-Mar-15 17:26:18

OTT to have 2 cars when you are retired. Up until last year OH had 3 of his own plus I had mine and we had a Motohome.
We decided that something had to give. We only have 2 now but OH is looking to buy a Hotrod. Boys and their toys lol.

Teetime Thu 05-Mar-15 17:29:44

I think one of the considerations for us was me losing my driving skills- DH is permanently talking about when he is gone!!! As I'm the one with the health problems and he is a picture of rippling manhood it's a bit ironic- anyway I shall love my little car and go off exploring in it.

grannyactivist Thu 05-Mar-15 17:38:01

My husband's car gave up the ghost a few years back and so we have shared my little car for years, but in August we finally had to bite the bullet and replace it. Because my husband travels a lot for his job we bought a big Ford Focus and as it's a foot wider than my little car was I am literally too scared to drive it. I keep telling myself I must make the effort, but I'm afraid I'll prang it (or someone) and just can't bring myself to get behind the wheel. shock

soontobe Thu 05-Mar-15 17:40:29

Happy driving!

annodomini Thu 05-Mar-15 17:50:02

Teetime, that sounds just what I'm looking for. I want to replace my very scruffy Toyta Yaris and the sooner the better because the clutch is slipping and I don't want to pay out a vast sum of money at this stage in its life. I don't drive far nowadays, but would hate to be without a car, having had one for over 50 years.

rosequartz Thu 05-Mar-15 18:03:02

When we retired, SIL said that we wouldn't need two cars any more, she and DB had only one. They did everything together.

However, we don't and I do love having my own little car.

AlieOxon Thu 05-Mar-15 18:19:36

anno just the same here. My S reg Skoda is getting senile and is due for MOT soon....think it will pass? NOT.

I need a car because I don't walk far these days and I can't carry stuff!
And to see my daughter...

AlieOxon Thu 05-Mar-15 18:20:31

How about something bright red and sporty?

Galen Thu 05-Mar-15 18:26:57

A Porsche?

rubysong Thu 05-Mar-15 18:53:48

Happy motoring Teetime. I love my Fiat 500. DH suggested going down to one car when I retired but my car is non-negotiable. We are in a rural situation and I would be stuck as lot of the time. I love that independence.

Mishap Thu 05-Mar-15 19:06:20

I hope you enjoy the independence.

We have just one car even though we live in the middle of nowhere - we have to coordinate our diaries with some care; but my OH does not go out much, so it is not a big problem.

Greyduster Thu 05-Mar-15 19:07:31

Well done! I envy you. We get a new one tommorrow - a new 1.8 honda civic to replace our two year old 1.4 honda civic, which I don't drive much because I hate it, so it follows that I will hate this one too! DH loves them. I would love a little not new car which fits round me nicely like my Jazz did. I felt it was almost part of me and would drive it anywhere. I wish you many miles of happy and safe motoring, Teetime!

petallus Thu 05-Mar-15 19:20:11

We have just been told that DH's car needs a new gearbox which will cost £4000. Although the car is a BMW it is ten years old and probably not worth more than that. We are considering going down to the one car, my Ford Focus.

It makes sense but sad

petallus Thu 05-Mar-15 19:20:43

And a bit apprehensive about my independence.

tanith Thu 05-Mar-15 19:24:18

petallus could you 'lose' the spare key so that you are in control grin