Gransnet forums

Chat

Just do jazz hands...!!!

(122 Posts)
Katek Thu 26-Mar-15 23:10:20

Did anyone else see this snippet tucked away in back pages? Apparently organisers at the NUS Women's Conference - following a request from Oxford University delegates - have asked delegates to use jazz hands instead of clapping as its making delegates frightened.
Quote:
'Whooping is fun for some, but can be super inaccessible for others, so please try not to whoop! Jazz hands work just as well. Clapping is triggering anxiety.'
In the words of Victor Meldrew, 'I don't believe it!' Poor, fragile flowers.
I'm going to bed now - my head hurts!

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 27-Mar-15 09:50:53

By "real autism" I mean actual, full autism, rather than on the outer edges of the spectrum.

soontobe Fri 27-Mar-15 09:51:13

It always surprises me that when people have had no experience of something, that they are still not able to empathise with people or someone, when things have been explained well to them.

rosequartz Fri 27-Mar-15 09:54:22

Jazz hands - cue for 'Oh Happy Day' if you are unsure what it is.

Seriously though, both DGD and I must be ' noise-sensitive' as we both dislike overwhelming cacophony in a hall and neither of us is autistic.

But surely polite clapping is not too overwhelming although whooping etc is unnecessary imo.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 27-Mar-15 09:55:00

Yes whenim64. I do know people on the spectrum participate in ordinary life, and how difficult life can be for them. But, I don't think anyone can expect the world to turn completely in a way that would accommodate them.

soontobe Fri 27-Mar-15 09:55:17

thatbags. I assume that because many people on the autistic spectrum have some problems in common, that that may be a hard thing to accomplish. Especially in the near future.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 27-Mar-15 09:55:44

soontobe, you are taking an awful lot for granted with that statement.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 27-Mar-15 09:56:13

I mean the 09:51:13 one.

merlotgran Fri 27-Mar-15 09:56:33

Not PC I know but it just makes me think of Al Jolson singing, Mameeeeee.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 27-Mar-15 10:00:15

grin

rosequartz Fri 27-Mar-15 10:14:46

I know, *merlotgran' I shall be humming Oh happy day alternating with Mameeeee all day now and wanting to wave my hands in the shops.

Jane10 Fri 27-Mar-15 10:15:22

jings there's no such thing as "the outer edges of autism". You're either on the spectrum or you're not. How you experience or manifest the condition depends on your cognitive ability. Hence more cognitively able people tend to develop coping strategies which can mask their difficulties. Its often easier to diagnose in childhood but many were not identified in previous decades. In our service the average age of diagnosis was 38. Eldest diagnosed was 84. All had had difficult lives but coped one way or another to a greater or lesser extent. I really respect the people I know with ASD. They do what they do despite having to deal with a lot of our (non ASD) social nonsense and expectations.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 27-Mar-15 10:19:45

confused. What do you think a spectrum is?!

Greenfinch Fri 27-Mar-15 10:21:02

Exactly Jane. Conform to "normal" or be damned !

thatbags Fri 27-Mar-15 10:21:53

"develop[ing] coping strategies" is exactly what we should be doing, not asking people who don't find clapping or similar noises a problem not to clap. It's the more democratic approach and, I think, more ultimately useful for sufferers. I'm not talking about 'masking'. Coping is different from masking.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 27-Mar-15 10:22:45

There is no way they can develop "coping strategies". To do that

No. I'm not getting into this. I am starting to get really angry

roastchicken which being interpreted in this instance means vacuum cleaner, washing machine and bicycle.

thatbags Fri 27-Mar-15 10:23:16

It's not about being seen as "normal" either. It's about learning to live to the full in spite of difficulties, whatever they are.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 27-Mar-15 10:24:48

Greenfinch often they are damned.

Still no reason to expect everything to change just for them.

thatbags Fri 27-Mar-15 10:25:03

I don't mean autistic people themselves should develop coping strategies, jings. I mean research into dealing with the problems autistic people experience should try to develop coping strategies than autistic people can be taught.

And benefit from, hopefully.

Greenfinch Fri 27-Mar-15 10:25:49

Or being on the spectrum (like my DH grin)

Greenfinch Fri 27-Mar-15 10:27:11

Mine was a reply to Jingl. I type slowly!

thatbags Fri 27-Mar-15 10:27:26

"Still no reason to expect everything to change just for them." Agreed. There is too much expectation of that nowadays in all sorts of ways.

[roasrchicken] Meaning I have other stuff to do too. S'later, dudes (as the saying goes).

thatbags Fri 27-Mar-15 10:28:07

Damn! roastchicken

Katek Fri 27-Mar-15 10:35:51

My dgd is also hyper sensitive to sound and she was 5 before we managed to take her to panto. Oddly enough she happily went to the ballet before then. At 8 she now performs on stage herself. I also work with adults with additional learning needs in staging performances. We have two performers with significant degrees of autism, so significant that they will always live in supported accommodation. Both of them accept their applause with great pride. The original report I read did not mention ASD speakers or attendees,
and one assumes that if there were ASD speakers/attendees they would be high functioning and able to cope with the demands.

Besides which can you imagine how scary rows and rows of people grinning inanely and waving at you could be?! I've woken up from bad dreams like that.

Elegran Fri 27-Mar-15 10:36:19

If everything in the world is changed to accommodate every single variation of human difference, life will grind to a halt. There needs to be a balance between patterns adapting to individuals and individuals adapting to cope with patterns.

etheltbags1 Fri 27-Mar-15 10:52:11

been reading this with interest what is jazz hands, according to some answers it is hands with palm facing outward and giving a wave. This sounds pointless. I would wave anyway this way there must be more to jazz hands than this? anyway why jazz, wouldn't you wave for other occasions confused