Gransnet forums

Chat

Just do jazz hands...!!!

(121 Posts)
Katek Thu 26-Mar-15 23:10:20

Did anyone else see this snippet tucked away in back pages? Apparently organisers at the NUS Women's Conference - following a request from Oxford University delegates - have asked delegates to use jazz hands instead of clapping as its making delegates frightened.
Quote:
'Whooping is fun for some, but can be super inaccessible for others, so please try not to whoop! Jazz hands work just as well. Clapping is triggering anxiety.'
In the words of Victor Meldrew, 'I don't believe it!' Poor, fragile flowers.
I'm going to bed now - my head hurts!

grannyactivist Fri 27-Mar-15 00:36:07

This has (rightly, in my view) been the subject of international mockery. blush
My favourite twitter response?
"If you're happy and you know it, trigger my anxiety." grin

thatbags Fri 27-Mar-15 07:03:55

This is the kind of stupidity that puts people off feminism.

Whooping super inaccessible? What on earth does that even mean?

loopylou Fri 27-Mar-15 07:24:28

Claptrap, piffle and pathetic
Poor little precious souls, they clearly need to stay at home in a darkened room.....

Jane10 Fri 27-Mar-15 07:36:48

For God's sake everyone! This has been misreported. Many people on the autism spectrum have auditory hypersensitivity. The sound of hands clapping is literally painful for them. There are some very good presenters with ASD who talk very well about their lives at conferences and training events. It is now fairly conventional to express appreciation in this way. Sensory hypersensitivity is one of those invisible but VERY real disabilities.

loopylou Fri 27-Mar-15 08:17:32

I wasn't aware that ASD speakers were involved, nothing in OP mentions that. Were that the case then obviously I agree Jane10.

gillybob Fri 27-Mar-15 08:25:07

People have used "clapping" as a sign of appreciation, acknowledgement etc. for ever. It is one of the first thing we teach our babies to do for goodness sake. I don't mean to be insensitive but do we have to stop speaking, shouting, looking,singing,clapping coughing,sneezing....... Just incase someone, somewhere is effected by it?

glammanana Fri 27-Mar-15 08:30:24

Gosh one of my serious loud allergy sneezes of a morning would frighten someone to death if they where that sensitive gillybob

Jane10 Fri 27-Mar-15 08:40:22

Trust me for some people coughing and sneezing is literally painful to hear. I might as well come clean -one of my theses is in sensory hypersensitivity in ASD. It was written after years of working with people with these ,now well recognised, problems. ASD affects more than 1:100 of the normal population and there are 4 times as many adults as children. The vast majority have average or above average IQs. You probably all know people on the spectrum. Most are not officially diagnosed because there's no need to. I suspect the conference organisers were aware of this but the journalst writing it up wasn't. Sermon over!

petra Fri 27-Mar-15 08:55:31

Thank you so much for that,Jane. My DGS suffers from a mild form of Sensory Hypersensitivity. We knew that something was wrong from him being about 3. It wasn't until he went to school that it escalated.
The school kept banging on to get him assed for ADHD. We knew this wasn't the case. It took us 2 years of reading up on this, phoning differant departments etc etc until we FINALLY got an assessment for this condition.
It is fully recognised in the USA.

Mishap Fri 27-Mar-15 09:08:38

Jazz hands!!?? - who they?

Coolgran65 Fri 27-Mar-15 09:17:41

First thought....What rubbish....followed immediate with the thought, it must be to do with autism.

Jazz hands... hands up at shoulder level, palms facing out, spread fingers, and wave, I think.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 27-Mar-15 09:18:05

I hate 'whooping'. Sounds pathetic. Almost animalistic.

Don't know what 'jazz hands' is.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 27-Mar-15 09:19:57

Going by the previous post, 'jazz hands' sounds ridiculous. Clapping is good. I don't think anyone with real autism would be there anyway.

Greenfinch Fri 27-Mar-15 09:20:12

Thanks Jane.Because these conditions are not visible they are not catered for. A ramp is provided for a wheelchair user and also a disabled toilet as they should be but someone who looks normal can have severe disabilities and no consideration is given. In fact it is the opposite and they are considered odd.

A little incident not really relevant. We were in a shop the other day with someone we know who has a seven year old daughter on the autistic spectrum. She was being a bit noisy and the woman behind in the queue said "You're a very naughty girl". My DH who doesn't mince his words turned to her and said "and you're a very rude woman."

thatbags Fri 27-Mar-15 09:24:02

Thanks for the info, jane10, and thumbs down to the reporter. It's going to be difficult to stop people clapping even with awareness of this problem. How on earth have people managed so far? When you say "literally painful", how painful is my first thought? Painful enough to prevent them going to places where clapping might take place? Or painful but put-uppable-with?

(I have a hyper-sensitivity hearing problem myself so I'm not speaking from total ignorance of such problems with sound).

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 27-Mar-15 09:32:34

Very well put Bags.

Are we really expected to pander to every little abnormality known to man? Especially when so many seem to be determined to winkle more and more out of us. Heaven help us.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 27-Mar-15 09:33:50

Greenfinch I think your DH was very rude. Unnecessarily so.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 27-Mar-15 09:35:02

Sometimes, perhaps, saying someone "doesn't mince his words" could mean that they themselves are on some kind of spectrum. Or just need anger management.

Jane10 Fri 27-Mar-15 09:35:33

Everyone on the spectrum is different of course. Hypersensitivities vary a lot depending on anxiety levels but of course are interrelated. There's a lot of work going on regarding designing buildings to take this into consideration. Good sound deadening helps (carpets, soft furnishings etc)
jings an Oxford conference is highly likely to be attended by women with ASD! As I said its largely invisible as are this group of people sadly.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 27-Mar-15 09:39:55

Oh yes. Of course. It's one of those afflictions commonly experienced by the super-intelligent amongst us. hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 27-Mar-15 09:40:59

Maybe they could take a valium before they attend.

whenim64 Fri 27-Mar-15 09:43:35

I have a relative who is hyper-sensitive to sound and describes it as very painful when particular noises occur. In her bag she has ear defenders, ear plugs, ear muffs, a handy scarf draped round her neck and will quickly cover her ears with whatever is handy when sustained noise starts to hurt and it makes her feel disorientated.

Not sure what you mean by 'real autism', Jingle? The majority of people on the autistic spectrum partipate in life like anyone else, but have to deal with obstacles that others don't think twice about.

Greenfinch Fri 27-Mar-15 09:45:21

Jinglbellsfrocks We have an autistic grandson and all I can say is that we get very upset by people's attitude to something they don't understand and is not visible. It is heart-breaking.

thatbags Fri 27-Mar-15 09:47:28

I think it's at least as important, and possibly more important, for research into such problems to focus on finding personal solutions to the problems individuals experience as to try and prevent everyone else from behaving in natural, non-offensive ways.