Gransnet forums

Chat

Royal baby's name.

(246 Posts)
shysal Tue 31-Mar-15 10:34:36

What are your predictions? I am sure it will be something traditional like Alice or James.

DaphneBroon Thu 04-Aug-16 14:58:41

Oh lor' another of those hmm
Reported

ninathenana Thu 04-Aug-16 14:29:44

confused

aubreygraham Thu 04-Aug-16 10:37:13

this is the answer to the question .

aubreygraham Thu 04-Aug-16 10:36:26

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

grumppa Sat 09-May-15 22:51:04

Put me off canal holidays for good.

rosequartz Sat 09-May-15 22:46:27

I didn't watch it; I was there the other week (walking along it)

etheltbags1 Sat 09-May-15 22:40:29

roses I too watched that programme and found it weird that there was no narration at all, the scenery was lovely but it was a bit like watching paint dry.

rosesarered Tue 05-May-15 20:53:17

Just watching a programme set on the Kennet and Avon canal, nothing happens ( I kid you not) it's on BBC4 for 2 hours and it's literally a trip with no commentary and just the sounds of nature as you slowly go down the canal with a view from the front of a boat.It's a bit hypnotic really, and Mr Roses is laughing and waiting for ducks to appear or somebody to fall in to break the monotony.
I like the name Charlotte, although it does make me think of the pudding, Apple Charlotte.

Ana Tue 05-May-15 19:33:06

Perhaps the gongoozlers at the hospital were birth canal enthusiasts? [groan emoticon]

rosequartz Tue 05-May-15 19:13:09

TOP DEFINITION
Gongoozler
A person who idly watches the labours of others while declining to offer assistance or becoming involved. Traditionally a term used by canal bargees when referring to onlookers found clustering around locks and moorings where barges have to stop and the crew engage in sometimes hard physical activity to make progress.

Which I was doing the other week standing on a bridge over the Kennet and Avon canal watching a couple of women womanhandling the lock gates grin

Ana Tue 05-May-15 18:12:31

"A gongoozler is a person who enjoys watching activity on the canals in the United Kingdom. The term is also often used in a more general way to describe those who have an interest in canals and the canal life, but do not actively participate."

Not sure how often you'd get the opportunity to use it, rose! tcrgrin

rosequartz Tue 05-May-15 18:09:57

gongoozling

I like it, I may try it, love watching people work grin

rosequartz Tue 05-May-15 18:09:06

gongoozlers confused must look that one up, a new word for my vocabulary!!

Lilygran Tue 05-May-15 15:38:55

I don't think an army of hairdressers and beauticians would have made me feel eager to face the paparazzi the same day I had either of my DS!

annodomini Tue 05-May-15 15:27:34

Princess Royal is a courtesy title conferred by the monarch, usually on his or her eldest daughter. It isn't necessarily a done deal. There was a gap of 22 years between the death of Princess Mary in 1965 until Anne was given the title in 1987. Charlotte could be the next Princess Royal but not while her great aunt survives.

grumppa Tue 05-May-15 15:15:13

Or when George is king.

CelticRose Tue 05-May-15 14:51:12

Won't she be called Princess Royal anyway when William is King?

etheltbags1 Mon 04-May-15 23:43:13

I love the names that they have given the baby, I was sure Diana and Elizabeth would be names they would choose but not sure about others. Now I know it is Charlotte I think its a lovely name.

Starling Mon 04-May-15 23:34:45

We used to have a dynasty of guinea pigs. DH announced the name of the royal baby to me today by coming into the kitchen and saying "She's been named after one of our guinea pigs!"

So I looked up and said "Wriggles?"

rubysong Mon 04-May-15 22:48:56

Happy news I am 64 best wishes to your new arrival. flowers

NotTooOld Mon 04-May-15 22:44:16

Tegan - definitely tacky. Am I surprised?

NotTooOld Mon 04-May-15 22:42:46

Well, I wouldn't have minded someone coming along to do my hair and makeup after giving birth. Waving to the gongoozlers outside the hospital would have been a small price to pay.

Grrr. Feeling anti-royalist today.

Tegan Mon 04-May-15 22:41:04

I feel a bit unsure about the way the Middletons are selling little prince/princess items. Know they've been doing it for a while but it seems a bit tacky to me sad.

shysal Mon 04-May-15 22:32:04

I feel sorry that 'Kate' had to have make up and hair done for the appearance rather than resting. I had DD2 at home on a Sunday morning after a 24 hour labour, and was told by the midwife that I mustn't go downstairs that day (not sure why). However, I cooked a roast lunch while DH buried the placenta in the garden along with my nightie hmm, and surprised the neighbours by carrying out the dustbin that evening for collection next morning. A nurse friend warned me of a prolapse in later life due to these actions, but it hasn't happened yet!

seasider Mon 04-May-15 22:15:52

Congratulations Iam glad to hear all is well smile