Gransnet forums

Chat

When it comes to obtuseness...

(61 Posts)
thatbags Wed 15-Apr-15 06:52:01

...MrBags is up there with the champs. After a 4010 start, I'm just back from accompanying him to Glasgow Airport (so that I could drive the car back). On the way he was fidgeting with his coat while driving. Then he said: "Have you got your phone with you?"
Me: Yes.
Him: Can I have it?
Me: Then what would I have?
Him: My iPhone.
Me: Where is it?
Him: On the bed.

Then followed a conversation of my phone lock pin as he'll have to switch it off on the plane, and talk about the ocntact addresses he needs which, naturally, are on his iPhone. Blah, blah.

Who else, like me, would just have said: "Blast! I've left my phone on the bed. Can I borrow yours?" right at the beginning?

loopylou Wed 15-Apr-15 15:56:47

Mine too Nina......then wonders why it doesn't ring confused

NotTooOld Wed 15-Apr-15 17:16:39

soon - oh, how I recognise that - missing bits out of sentences so you can't possibly know what he means!

janeainsworth - yes, those little bits of paper with 'important' info. I learned long ago to throw away NOTHING without checking first. DH finds this exceedingly annoying but at least I am kept out of the firing line!

vampirequeen Wed 15-Apr-15 21:05:34

I've just ordered one of those days of the week and times of day tablet boxes because apparently it's my job to make sure DH takes his meds. They're all just piled up in an old ice cream container but I'm still supposed to know what he's taken and when......and what he's forgotten.

aggie Wed 15-Apr-15 21:14:33

I was told I couldn't give oh tablets unless he agreed ! , I just doled them out and he swallowed them till I found the tablet box , brilliant , he puts them in , I check (and remove )and he thinks he is in charge

janerowena Wed 15-Apr-15 21:21:54

I wouldn't know even where to start. I just read and sympathise. I find myself chanting walletphonekeys and thinking, he's 50 not 5!

Deedaa Wed 15-Apr-15 21:49:27

As GS1 would say "Why did you let me do that?" (They do start young!)

grumppa Wed 15-Apr-15 21:52:13

Two theories occur to me.

1. Gransnetters' husbands held down immensely high-powered jobs and were cosseted by their secretaries/PAs to such an extent that they cannot cope by themselves.

2. Gransnetters' husbands have been totally emasculated by their fearsome wives and just cannot manage for themselves.

Except of course the two supermen, pompa and yours truly.

pompa Wed 15-Apr-15 23:03:34

Speak for yourself Grumppa, I could forget my testicles if they weren't tied on.

annodomini Wed 15-Apr-15 23:12:12

Are we bringing up our sons to be less dependent on their eminently sensible wives and partners? I'm reasonably hopeful of mine - well DS1 anyway - though they are still only in their 40s and there's still time to regress.

oldgirl2 Wed 15-Apr-15 23:25:07

It's a man thing, to our 25 year dS going to work...have you got keys, food,pants (yes he forgot suit pants, he is a cyclist) we drove a 16 mile round trip to help him out but get loads of laughs from it[laugh]

oldgirl2 Wed 15-Apr-15 23:27:21

That should be smile

janerowena Wed 15-Apr-15 23:35:55

We've spent the day in Cambridge doing just that - all the things he should have taken back to uni with him, but forgot. He also went off with two of his father's library books that he had been convinced that he had left on his bed.

Granne72 Thu 16-Apr-15 16:37:44

Stansgran love the check list blush
Pompa I am intrigued by the idea of 'sloppy wifing'. Does letting DH do his own ironing count? or is it more subtle than that? What is the opposite of 'sloppy wifing'?
More to the point what constitutes 'sloppy husbanding' ?

pompa Thu 16-Apr-15 16:53:04

'sloppy husbanding', can't see how there could be such a thing.
The ironing thing is ok (ish).
"Sloppy wifing" is not taking responsibility for those things far too trivial for today's man to be expected to remember.

rosesarered Thu 16-Apr-15 19:47:32

JaneRowena lucky you, what a young DH you have! we all have to make do with much older models.

loopylou Thu 16-Apr-15 20:39:21

'Older models'.........beyond retraining I assume? A dear friend of mine widowed at 60, said she wouldn't remarry as it would take far too long to train another man, perhaps she is right!

pompa me thinks you're treading on treacherously thin ice .......grin

pompa Thu 16-Apr-15 20:55:36

I need a cold shower once in a while.

annodomini Thu 16-Apr-15 21:18:02

pompa, I'm beginning to think you could be writing a book about husbanding and wifing!

numberplease Fri 17-Apr-15 17:18:55

Vampirequeen, it`s all very well having one of those tablet dispenser boxes, but what about when your husband takes the tablets for the wrong day, or worse, doesn`t take them at all? It`s always my fault say our kids, I`m supposed to hover and make sure he takes them, but if IN do, I get accused of being a pain in the rear end!

pompa Fri 17-Apr-15 17:37:44

NumberPlease, you obvious need to go on an "Improve Your Wifeing" course. this will teach you how to execute your wifely duties without being noticed. When you learn this skill it will save you the embarrassment of being thanked for your efforts.

loopylou Fri 17-Apr-15 17:44:41

pompa I think you're perfectly positioned for a quick kick on the shins to offer the aforementioned course on line for those of use lacking the requisite skills. Or to offer husband training courses for DHs who lack the ability to learn to appreciate their SO's efforts quickly! grin

pompa Fri 17-Apr-15 18:06:14

Mrs. P has honed her skills to perfection, I hardly ever find the need to thank her.

vampirequeen Fri 17-Apr-15 19:11:49

I have decided to use the box and simply put the appropriate tablets in his hand at the appropriate time. I will also supply him with a glass of water/cup of tea to wash them down.

He's not emasculated btw just mollycoddled but then me mollycoddles me too grin

pompa Fri 17-Apr-15 19:23:59

"but then me mollycoddles me too" how many wine wine wine wine have you had ?

newist Fri 17-Apr-15 20:06:16

My DH has just blamed me because the tide sneaked up and moved my kayak as he was pulling me out, so he let go and dropped me in the sea. It was totally my fault that I ended up sitting in the sea an hour ago