Gransnet forums

Chat

Are you all real people?

(176 Posts)
whitewave Thu 16-Apr-15 20:58:22

I can't really make out my relationship with all the GNs as all the chat somehow has an unreal quality about it. Not sure why though.

baubles Thu 16-Apr-15 21:27:17

It's ok pompa I've imagined you back....Gnet wouldn't be the same without you.

I do agree whitewave that we should treat other Gnetters exactly the same as if we were speaking in real life.

I'm not sure about Gnet being 'kinder' now, I can't remember a time when it was wholly unkind. People have had, and always will have, differences of opinion and I dare say things have been said in the heat of the debate just like real life.

The vast majority of members are supportive in my experience.

Galen Thu 16-Apr-15 21:29:23

Cogito ergo sum!
I'm real (I think?)

merlotgran Thu 16-Apr-15 21:31:52

I've just had an imaginary wine

It hit the spot so I think I'll have a real one now. grin

whitewave Thu 16-Apr-15 21:32:50

No-one real talks in Latin these days! So you are probably not real Galen hope that doesn't come as too much a disappointment.

Ana Thu 16-Apr-15 21:32:53

I never said it was 'wholly unkind'! confused

It was sometimes more so than it is now. IMO.

pompa Thu 16-Apr-15 21:37:49

So it's true, Baubles has imagined me back, so I must be imaginary.

Galen Thu 16-Apr-15 21:40:20

Fine!
My kids sometimes say I'm unreal!
As to talking in Latin! It'd be a very stilted conversation, I got 23% for O level Latin.
I learnt French easily on a French exchange, when the only common language I had with the Pater Familias who was a lawyer was Latin!

whitewave Thu 16-Apr-15 21:42:24

Galen grin you can join pompa who is also unreal.

annsixty Thu 16-Apr-15 21:44:48

Oh stop showing offgrin

pompa Thu 16-Apr-15 21:47:25

Well Whitewave, I hope we have answered your concerns - we are all figments of each others imagination. But one of us must be real -- but which one ?

petallus Thu 16-Apr-15 21:47:48

I think therefore I am

real

whitewave Thu 16-Apr-15 21:48:49

Me

pompa Thu 16-Apr-15 21:51:22

Therefore we are all figments of your own imagination (you are talking to yourself at this very moment) enjoy the moment - the men in white coats are on their way now.

whitewave Thu 16-Apr-15 21:53:23

I have actually just disappeared up my own proverbial!

Lilygran Thu 16-Apr-15 21:59:51

I'm fairly sure I'm real. I'm not sure you lot are.

Lilygran Thu 16-Apr-15 22:05:36

GN is less robust than it used to be because of all the tears and flouncing and door slamming a few months back. People are maybe not saying exactly what they think. But there have been signs of calling a spade a bloody shovel recently.

Gracesgran Thu 16-Apr-15 22:06:01

I thought you would be all like me. My family are always saying I live in my own world. I think they mean it kindly smile. I thought we just joined one another in a GN own world at times.

... I like my world - nice people, nice place.

Thank you annodomini by the way. I always wondered why some people were blue.

Galen Thu 16-Apr-15 22:06:04

They don't wear white coats any more. Much more likely to be in jeans and T shirts.
Trust me, I know!-
I'm a ----
Help! They're dragging me offshock ---

hespian Thu 16-Apr-15 22:10:28

I much prefer the place it is now. Much less threatening and just a bit of fun. Brightens up my day but also makes interesting reading. And I am real although still not comfortable enough to open my heart.

trisher Thu 16-Apr-15 22:12:43

Actually it is all a dream, but whose dream? And are you in mine or am I in yours? Its all very Lewis Carroll- Curiouser and curiouser!
Down the rabbit hole or Through the Looking Glass

Galen Thu 16-Apr-15 22:17:12

I am real,
feel, my heart, it beats
See my chest, it moves.
See my soul, you can't,
It feels, it loves,
I am!

Tegan Thu 16-Apr-15 22:19:08

I'm afraid the internet is more of a real world to me than the real world is since I retired. And when you think about it most people [especially young ones] only talk to people via facebook/twitter/text/email these days. Seeing an advert for an app that tells you how much to feed your dog and works out how much exercise it needs each day I'm beginning to wonder if humans brains will shrink over time and we'll all be plugged into some sort of app that tells us what to do [what to eat, when to sleep,when we need to exercise]. ie we are becoming the robots confused.

Galen Thu 16-Apr-15 22:23:55

Philip P Dick I think in the ring World Series suggested this sort of thing?
It's been years since I've read them so I might have got it wrong?

jo1book Thu 16-Apr-15 22:29:04

I am 15 an doing a project for my GCSE on problems with opinionated OAP's. It's going well so thank you very much.

Envious Thu 16-Apr-15 22:36:34

Yes im real. Why else would I bother crossing the proverbial pond? confused I must of missed all the door slamming.Been gone a while.