Gransnet forums

Chat

Are you all real people?

(176 Posts)
whitewave Thu 16-Apr-15 20:58:22

I can't really make out my relationship with all the GNs as all the chat somehow has an unreal quality about it. Not sure why though.

janerowena Sat 18-Apr-15 11:39:39

My house isn't like that, it was built in 1960 on the lines of traditional Suffolk cottages that were meant to have flat rooves, but it is in a beautiful village full of flint cottages and thatched cottages. So it is a white cottage built in the same shape as the older ones, with the same steeply pitched roof, only we newer ones dotted all over the village all have the wavy roof tiles that are everywhere in this area, as they used to be in Roman times. I suppose we all look like Suffolk cottages that have had their thatch removed. However the little flinty market town is only four miles away, and I do look out on to a beautiful old cottage over the road. We had to buy this one as DBH is a teacher and we had to buy in a hurry, at the time it was the only one with a big garden left on the books in the area. We certainly did look at plenty of older ones, but even though we originally wanted an older one, I was beginning to realise eight years ago that as chief painter and decorator, wooden window frames were going to be hard to maintain and most of this village is heavily conserved. Even down to people who build extensions having to put fake chimney pots on their roof.

loopylou Sat 18-Apr-15 12:31:00

Wonderful images!
Sorry but mine is very boring 1960's red brick ex-RAF semi, backing on to lovely woods. No Flowerpot Men but plenty of plants and pots of bulbs plus, of course, some inevitable weeds hmm
We bought in a hurry too after being evicted, along with a number of other tenant farmers on a big heading-for-bankruptcy country estate, but absolutely love it here, very quiet and rural.
We've been here 18 years now grin

pompa Sat 18-Apr-15 13:05:52

Mine is even more boring, 1970's semi. BUT as this is a virtual world, a cliff top cottage overlooking the Pembrokshire coast.

Soutra Sat 18-Apr-15 13:14:26

grin

glammanana Sat 18-Apr-15 14:57:21

Soutra I remember that many moons ago now,and I did once own the villa with the pool in another life,now in a twee apartment over looking The River (whisper Mersey) not as glam as the Mediterainian but who cares been there done that and love where we are now.

annodomini Sat 18-Apr-15 15:20:33

Mine dates from 1891. It's the end of a short terrace of miners' houses in red Cheshire brick, with the local brook at the end of quite a long garden

mcem Sat 18-Apr-15 16:26:47

The subject of our homes cropped some time ago.
Mine is a large, sunny ground-floor flat in a traditional scottish tenement block. ( If you're a fan of Phil and Kirsty, you'll have seen similar ones when their location searches are in Edinburgh or Glasgow.)
One GN poster remarked that she'd always understood that the term tenement meant a slum that's not fit for human habitation!
It 's B-listed, was built in 1873 and has high ceilings, beautiful cornices and an abundance of original large sash and case windows.
Sorry to go on but that remark really rankled so I'm glad to get that off my chest.
Am enjoying hearing about this lovely variety of GN homes.

dustyangel Sat 18-Apr-15 16:34:24

I hate to think how you might visualise my home. grin

whenim64 Sat 18-Apr-15 16:41:56

Mine's a little 1860 cottage with its original diamond lattice windows, winding staircase and low ceilings. My sanctuary smile

whitewave Sat 18-Apr-15 18:38:59

Yes I can see the sea from my home, but it also looks at the South Downs. It was built in 1937.

rosequartz Sat 18-Apr-15 18:48:04

rosequartz definitely a Georgian townhouse with roses round the door

Definitely not, although I did hanker after a lovely Georgian house which was for sale near us.

We have got some roses in the garden, but just a few stray leaves round the front door! grin

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 18-Apr-15 18:50:21

dustyangel grin !!!

NanKate Sat 18-Apr-15 20:24:41

We live in an end of terrace up a hill where we can see the Thames and Bisham Abbey, that is if I stand on a chair in the front bedroom. grin

Fab views. The only draw back is that I need an oxygen tank to revive me after walking up the hill after my daily shopping excursion. However it is part of my cardio-vascular exercise.

Jomarie Sat 18-Apr-15 21:04:55

What a lovely thread! Have just read it through from beginning to end and found myself smiling, nearly laughing out loud once or twice. Have only recently joined GN and have been really impressed with the interesting and varied topics up for discussion - have even chipped in on one or two. It's a bit like a good magazine - which is a real treat as so few of these on sale that appeal to me. smile

Katek Sat 18-Apr-15 22:34:47

Not bad on the golf course Soutra! I live but a stone's throw away from a links course in a 1998 detached bungalow with a burn behind the house running to the sea.

Soutra Sat 18-Apr-15 22:37:34

Was I close?grin

Tegan Sun 19-Apr-15 13:36:15

My 1960's boring square house with big windows has a pine tree in the field next to it. It is now at least three times as big as the house [maybe four] and the lad who worked on the house last week looked at it and said he couldn't understand why I was prepared to have it hanging over my house. The branches are, in fact, all growing on this side and overhanging my roof. In the past the farmer has refused to cut it down [it is also in a conservation area which complicates things] but I'm going to contact the council again with photos and demand an assurance that this tree isn't going to kill me. Failing that I might attach myself to the tree and go on some sort of hunger strike, so you might see me and my house on national television in the future. I have pointed out that, if it's a conservation area I need conserving as well and my life is in danger sad.

janerowena Sun 19-Apr-15 15:23:56

tegan you are perfectly within your rights to have any branches overhanging your property removed, it's just that it will cost you. You need to find a good tree surgeon, that's all. The farmer won't want to pay for it, and doesn't have to.

janerowena Sun 19-Apr-15 15:25:12

It may well be in a conservation area, but in situations like that the local officers are usually quite sensible.

Tegan Sun 19-Apr-15 16:32:19

It will cost a fortune. This tree is massive. Farmer owns most of the land between my village and the nearest town sad. We once gained 4 inches of land round the garden when another fence was put up [by the farmer, not us] and he tried to charge us for it.

janerowena Sun 19-Apr-15 22:26:06

Yes, it will cost around a thousand probably, maybe you could get a tree surgeon out and ask him to write up his expert opinion? That would still probably cost anything up to £100 but you could send it to your local council - bearing in mind the farmer probably is a member of it...

FlicketyB Mon 20-Apr-15 13:01:11

We live in a conservation area and got permission to cut down a large yew tree without any problem whatsoever. The tree was in our garden, but pines are trees that grow fast and have a limited life so i see no reason why you should not get consent to trim it back on your side of the fence. Just remember you have to return all the cut branches to the owner of the tree!!

janerowena Mon 20-Apr-15 13:04:18

With a big smile! grin

janerowena Mon 20-Apr-15 13:05:01

There's no harm in getting a quote, is there.

rosequartz Mon 20-Apr-15 14:17:19

It depends which planning officer and what sort of mood he is in re cutting down trees in our conservation area.

Two beautiful trees were felled with permission by neighbours for spurious reasons, yet a rather misshapen and grotty sycamore (common as muck!) is not allowed to be felled by another neighbour. confused