Gransnet forums

Chat

Hotter shoe company award

(78 Posts)
rosesarered Thu 23-Apr-15 21:16:33

I heard on the news that Hotter Shoes won an award recently, but maybe somebody should tell them we are not happy with shoes that disintegrate if not worn enough?

loopylou Fri 24-Apr-15 20:06:52

Me too janer <sigh>
I suppose I could spend a day a week (NOT) wearing each pair for 15 minutes grin as a preventative measure (sad person, aren't I?!)

loopylou Fri 24-Apr-15 20:08:01

As it's not 1st April is it a canny marketing ploy by a rival, or Hotter themselves [hopeful]?

rosesarered Fri 24-Apr-15 20:09:02

Nope.

janerowena Fri 24-Apr-15 20:10:26

My M&S ones fell apart, two pairs, last winter. It was a little embarrassing. However, I have another two pairs of theirs that I haven't worn all that often since I started buying Hotter ones, and they seem fine.

rosesarered Fri 24-Apr-15 20:12:08

It's also M&S in their more expensive shoes, and Clarks as well. There is no escape, because it will be other brands as well if they have these soles.We will be reduced to just having three pairs at a time(shock, horror) in our shoe cupboards.Three pairs of shoes, one of boots and a pair of slippers.What a distressing thought.

rosequartz Fri 24-Apr-15 20:13:50

The soles and heels on my Clarks knee-high leather boots started splitting and crumbling.
Very annoying as the leather is still perfect.

Ana Fri 24-Apr-15 20:16:08

Built-in obsolescence has arrived in the shoe world! shock

loopylou Fri 24-Apr-15 20:18:42

angry
Let's hope clothes don't go the same way!!

rosesarered Fri 24-Apr-15 20:24:50

Mr Roses says his M&S socks already have done, constant holes in them.

rosequartz Fri 24-Apr-15 20:26:04

DH says that M&S have started skimping on material again to save money.

(he swears he hasn't put any weight on)

annodomini Fri 24-Apr-15 20:27:26

I have - at the last count - five pairs of Hotter sandals and although I haven't given them their summer airing yet, I think they are still in good shape.

rosequartz Fri 24-Apr-15 20:30:28

www.hotter.com/gb/en/info/Hotter-Shoes-Guarantee

You could write to Stewart Houlgrave if you are not happy. He wants you to be happy!

Perhaps he will do something about it if everyone bombarded him - or sent their crumbling shoes back to him!

rosesarered Fri 24-Apr-15 20:33:07

Thanks Rose, I think I will do.

janerowena Fri 24-Apr-15 21:04:41

it doesn't say how long they expect them to last, unless I've missed it - which is a good thing, really. If I only had two pairs of shoes, I would expect them to last two years at least. So as I have about 80*, surely they should last 80 years? grin

*^I am of course grossly exaggerating, I only have about half that. Because DBH made me get rid of the rest when he built my new shoe wall^.

rosequartz Sat 25-Apr-15 09:13:26

I think it could be 90 days - or 'smile after smile'.
So if they start crumbling and you stop smiling will they exchange them or give you a refund?

annodomini Sat 25-Apr-15 09:25:59

I'm really puzzled. Last night I looked out a pair of shoes that I bought several years ago and have never worn because they didn't match any outfits I possessed! The soles are still in pristine condition and show no signs of crumbling. Perhaps if I wear them, they'll suddenly disintegrate.

aggie Sat 25-Apr-15 12:23:14

Anno , that's what happened my sandals , they looked perfect and started crumbling as I walked , since that I have found that a pair of boots that I kept for "good" have done the same , DD wondered what the strange noise was when I was walking , it was my boots shedding black crumbs and I have a patch on the carpet where I sit and the black rubber seems to have got trodden in from either the sandals or the boots . The boots were ECCO and the sandals Clarks sad

mollie65 Sat 25-Apr-15 15:18:51

my favourite shoe/boot/whatever is Josef Seibel (although they don't seem to do half sizes)
have found they wear much better than Hotter - not had any problems with crumbling but I do tend to wear shoes a lot once I have 'broken them in'

NfkDumpling Sat 25-Apr-15 20:37:42

Joseph Steibel and other more expensive shoes have rubber soles. They don't have the same problem. Apparently.

Ana Sat 25-Apr-15 20:50:54

Hotter shoes aren't cheap! In fact some of their styles are more expensive than Joseph Steibel.

NfkDumpling Sat 25-Apr-15 21:06:01

I didn't realise. My Joseph Steibel must be six years old at least and I haven't a clue what I paid for them.

I wear sandals all summer, so perhaps that's why I had a problem with Hotter. My boots and shoes spend the summer packed away under the spare bed.

Ana Sat 25-Apr-15 21:15:48

It doesn't seem to be a problem limited to a specific brand, so it must be the materials used in the manufacture of the soles/heels used for certain styles.

rosesarered Sat 25-Apr-15 22:48:57

Yes Ana, that's exactly it, the material used.I have some cheap shoes that have rubber soles and they are fine, also very old Clarks shoes from when they had leather soles, but newer Clarks and Hotters have this PU stuff.Didn't The Beatles have an album called Rubber Soul?

Ana Sat 25-Apr-15 22:54:37

They did indeed, and I still have my vinyl copy! smile
(not worth anything as it's scratched to hell, but I keep it for OTS)

rosesarered Sat 25-Apr-15 22:58:40

Oh, glad that they did, I thought for a minute, have I just made that up?!