Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you have a special cup/mug for tea of coffee that you just have to use?

(57 Posts)
TerriBull Fri 01-May-15 09:45:18

Having just returned from the gym, I'm slumped in front of Matthew Wright with a cup of coffee from my favourite mug. One of the discussions he has on later is about "favourite mugs", apparently some people are so obsessed with their "special" one that they will hide it from others. Perhaps it's idiosyncratic behaviour but that kind of resonates with me, I have a designated cup for coffee in the morning and another for tea in the afternoon. I only like tea out of bone china. I never used to be like this, I'm asking myself do we become more entrenched in certain routines as we get older? What about you?

gillybob Fri 01-May-15 09:56:13

I don't have a special mug at home although I suppose they are all special to me as DH doesn't drink tea or coffee. They are all plain white china which I like as I can't bear drinking out of a mug with old tea stains in the bottom. At work I have a special mug brewwhich is deliberately really girly so the "lads" don't feel tempted to use it. Their idea of washing a cup is swilling it under the cold water tap (yuk) and they are always quite miffed when I go in a blitz them with bleach ! apparently the tea tastes better when there are old dregs in the bottom of the mug

Anniebach Fri 01-May-15 10:03:06

I have a special mug , but not because of getting older, always have had a special mug, is it not the same as having a favourite chair or side of the sofa , or which side of the bed for sleeping? I admit when my special mugs have broken I mourn the loss ,

hildajenniJ Fri 01-May-15 10:07:53

I don't have a favourite mug at home because they are all the same. A set of Denby mugs, white inside and burgundy outside.
I used to have my own special mug at work though. A Mr. Bean mug with instructions and comments on the inside. Top one said "hot, be careful", and the bottom one said, " cold and yucky". Unfortunately, while I was on holiday, a colleague used it and broke it. She did have the decency to own up, but didn't offer to replace it.

henetha Fri 01-May-15 10:08:10

Yes, I do. My grandchildren brought me back a large Disney mug when they went to Florida. It's adorrned with lots of favourite Disney characters and I use it every day.

Marmight Fri 01-May-15 10:12:54

I like all my mugs. I have so many and occasionally try to get rid of them but they all creep back into the cupboard again as they all have a meaning or connection. I particularly like using an Emma Bridgewater one decorated with ivy which DH gave me not long before he died. My Mum hated my mugs and I had to buy a special one for her use which was bone china! I suppose we all have our funny little habits! brew

AshTree Fri 01-May-15 10:15:07

I have three red mugs, the last of a set of 6, which I always use. When all three are in the dishwasher I have to use other mugs, but am always pleased when the dishwasher's been used and I can go back to using my red ones! Silly, isn't it? (I also have a favourite teaspoon which I like to use for eating yoghurt - it just feels comfortable hmm).

tanith Fri 01-May-15 10:15:28

Not a special mug but I have two types of mug , thick cheapies which anyone can use and 6 nice porcelain pretty mugs which I always use myself I hate drinking out of a 'thick' mug or cup. You know you are 'special' if I give you one of my 'pretty' mugs grin

merlotgran Fri 01-May-15 10:16:48

DH drives me mad with mug-gate.

He deliberately makes me coffee in a mug with 'Time for Tea' on the side. angry

He makes his coffee in my favourite tea mug which I try and hide but he always finds it. angry YUK

He leaves various mugs in the workshop - covered in grease and dirt. angry

His pal, who helps us in the garden once a week, likes his tea very strong and leaves the tea bag in (I swear he sucks it dry at the end) hmm

One of life's pleasures is to curl up on the sofa with a hot drink in the appropriate mug.

I'd like to say he just doesn't get it but I suspect he loves winding me up.

TerriBull Fri 01-May-15 10:25:03

Not just me then grin

Grannybug Fri 01-May-15 10:27:36

grinTerribull I too have different mugs for different times of day however they can change depending on my mood! Complicatedbrew

gillybob Fri 01-May-15 10:34:47

Most of the time I make my tea in a mug however on a Saturday or Sunday I make my tea in a teapot. I set a little tray just for me and it is special. My grandma will not drink from a mug. She insists on a cup and saucer compete with milk jug and sugar basin all set out on her tray on wheels, with a nice plate of biscuit biscuit or cupcake cupcake on the side .

TerriBull Fri 01-May-15 10:38:35

I'm now eating breakfast and heavens, just realised I also have a special bowl shock yikes I'm well along the road to idiosyncrasy! Different mugs for different times of the day that's a good one Grannybug grin

AshTree Fri 01-May-15 10:40:03

Your grandma sounds very civilized gillybob smile

Bellasnana Fri 01-May-15 10:41:31

What a lovely thread smile I like my tea out of a bone china mug, but prefer coffee from a cheap 'thick' mug. Daft isn't it?

I remember back in the eighties when I worked in an R&D lab, where everyone had their own easily recognizable mug, mine bore the legend 'I shot J.R' grin

ninathenana Fri 01-May-15 11:06:22

DH and I have our individual mugs, ( mine is Winnie the pooh) partly because he doesn't take sugar and I do. Saves mix ups.
It doesn't bother me if others use mine. I have a couple of spares including"Worlds best Nanny" and a set for visitors.

TwiceAsNice Fri 01-May-15 11:14:40

I don't really like mugs much but have 2 sets of cups and saucers one larger than the other and I really prefer a cup and saucer. I do have some nice assorted mugs for visitors who prefer a mug some of my friends think a cup and saucer is a faff.

I also have special cups and bowls for my twin grandchildren when they visit according to their favourite colours etc. I have a dinner service in royal Albert which all matches I like things to match, is that precious!

gillybob Fri 01-May-15 11:23:51

Oh she is Ashtree very civilized indeed. smile

I prefer white mugs or mugs with white inside.

My DGC have their own special mugs at mine too TwiceAsNice the girls love to have a cup of tea and a gossip with grandma. smile

kittylester Fri 01-May-15 11:36:02

I use plain white, china, Denby mugs or nice china ones from Waitrose! I don't drink coffee but hot chocolate tastes better from thick mugs confused I always make tea, in a pot, from leaves! [Mrs Bucket strikes again!]

DH's mugs were a huge embarrassment for years as they were nearly 30 years old, thick, yellow and faded, from Tesco. I sent him out to get himself some new ones and he came back with thick plain ones.........from Tesco!

AshTree Fri 01-May-15 11:38:46

We have a lot of crockery from Ikea, started out with even amounts of dark blue and cream - all but one of the dark blue tea-plates has broken, and only 2 of the dark blue dinner plates remain. Our older grandson always goes for the blue, his favourite colour. And he still likes to use the blue stripy plastic tumbler we bought for him when he was about 2, despite being 'allowed' a grown up glass tumbler now.
When he was little he always used the Mickey Mouse spoon which was one of two we had for our two when they were little. Now he has graciously said his little brother can have this when they visit grin

TerriBull Fri 01-May-15 11:42:27

My younger son has a special mug, a horrible Bart Simpson thing that contained a smallish Easter egg many years ago. He moved out recently and wanted to take it with him, but I said no, it belongs here, remembering all the stuff he took off to uni that ended up heaven knows where. He always looks happy to use it when he visits

TerriBull Fri 01-May-15 11:44:54

My granddaughter loves our bright coloured plastic mugs we bought from IKEA when the children were little. I remember having favourite cereal bowls when we used to stay with our grandparents in Sussex as children.

soontobe Fri 01-May-15 12:53:14

I just like tall thin mugs as they keep the drink warmer for longer in my opinion.

nonnasusie Fri 01-May-15 13:03:35

My special china "morning tea" mug has a picture of 2 of my gd's on it! I use another with hearts on in the afternoon!! In between it's coffee in any cup or mug!brew

annodomini Fri 01-May-15 13:28:36

My morning tea mug is an outsize cup with a pattern of ladybirds. I bought it very many years ago in a rejects shop called Spoils which no longer exists. Tea definitely tastes better from this mug.