Gransnet forums

Chat

Le Creuset pans.

(47 Posts)
Katek Tue 26-May-15 14:42:35

Does anyone else have these and what do you think of them? I inherited MIL's after she died as fil wouldn't use them. They look lovely on the hob but I can hardly pick them up empty let alone full of something hot! I'll develop arms like Popeye at this rate!

harrigran Tue 26-May-15 19:04:47

I got rid of mine, way too heavy, I was frightened of dropping it on the ceramic hob. They do look good and I did use it when I was younger and had a gas hob.

apricot Tue 26-May-15 19:14:03

I too had a casserole for a wedding present 45 years ago. They've always been expensive but my mother looked at it and asked, "Only one?"
I've used it constantly, just wish it wasn't orange.

Deedaa Tue 26-May-15 20:09:01

I had a set of saucepans but they were second hand and quite stained so I eventually replaced them with a set of stainless steel which will See Me Out as my mother used to say. I did keep a french cast iron casserole pot ( not le creuset) which is brilliant for slow cooking.

Iam64 Tue 26-May-15 20:57:43

I love Le Creuset pans but inflammatory and osteo arthritis have left my wrists and hands weak. When I was diagnosed years ago, the GP arranged for Occupational therapists to visit and give me advice about how best to protect the joints. The advice was that as a replaced pans/casseroles to buy lightweight with two handles so the weight could be distributed. The OT's admired my two Le Crueset pans and sympathised but said NO. Katek, if the pans are putting pressure on and you are struggling to lift them I'd suggest you either use them as planters or make a gift of them to some young, strong people smile

Katek Tue 26-May-15 21:41:59

DH loves the pans and would never get rid of them, ergo he can use them! I still have my trusty stainless steel ones in the cupboard so I will use those. I really would be a danger to myself Iam64 if I tried to lift them full. I'm trying to imagine tossing a pancake in the frying pan!!

Iam64 Wed 27-May-15 08:09:34

Problem solved then Katek smile

AshTree Wed 27-May-15 08:17:18

I have always lusted after them but have never invested in them because they are just too darn heavy. My sister had some when she moved to a house with an Aga - perfect combination for slow cooking. She loved them but cursed their weight. I have a large cast iron griddle pan (not Le Creuset) for cooking steak, gammon steaks, and so on. I wouldn't be without it but I can barely lift it these days as my wrists have become much weaker.

glammanana Wed 27-May-15 08:29:00

I've had a large orange casserole dish for years along with the frying pan it is far too heavy to lift into the oven so OH has to do the honours when we use it,it's not used too much now the family have gone but there is no way I would get rid of them they have always been part of my kitchen and are well loved,DD has had her eye on them for quite a while but never been successful in convincing me her need is more than mine.

Nelliemoser Wed 27-May-15 09:03:00

I have never had one but I have thought about getting one at times.
I have arthritic thumb joints which get very painful at times, (thank you Mum!) and I know I could never comfortably or safely use a heavy metal casserole dish.

annodomini Wed 27-May-15 09:19:28

I had a large cast iron frying pan - not Lecreuset but similar - which eventually spent most of its life in the cupboard and I handed it on to chef-trained DS who I don't think uses it very much either. Are these heavy objects likely to fall into disuse with the increasing use of induction hobs? I don't know if they are compatible.

annsixty Wed 27-May-15 09:22:03

The first piece I bought was a griddle pan, many years ago now but was so disappointed as it is not only not nonstick but every thing really stuck. It sits on a shelf purely for effect now but the casserole , as everyone else says is brilliant for slow cooking, and while expensive has lasted me a lifetime of cooking.

Stansgran Wed 27-May-15 09:41:40

I use the 16inch casserole and 14 inch one all the time. They are cleaned when stained by using a Milton bleach tablet overnight. Mu big roasting dishes are getting heavy but I have ones with metal handles and an eye level oven which means I'm not bending to lift . Actually I've had an urge to do a lamb boulangere since reading this thread.

kittylester Wed 27-May-15 10:55:02

This thread has made me look round my kitchen and I have discovered that I also possess two brown gratin dishes (brown, so they must be very old!), a big black 'utensil' pot, quite a few lasagne type dishes of varying sizes and a lovely purple pie dish. My 'jolly molly' is also le Creuset! blush

Does anyone know of a support group?

Katek Wed 27-May-15 11:00:25

grin

GrannyPiggy Thu 28-May-15 19:34:24

I inherited my mums set of three saucepans after she had a stroke at age of 57, that was 21 years ago
Now I have a frozen shoulder so am finding them too heavy
Maybe it's time to pass them on to my daughter

Stansgran Fri 29-May-15 08:58:35

Meant to ask what is a jolly Molly please?

kittylester Fri 29-May-15 09:07:00

It used to be a make of oven glove, Stansgran. and the name has become the norm in the Lester household! I don't know if they are still made but they were the very best you could buy according to Mil - who was always right about everything! grin

Stansgran Fri 29-May-15 16:40:42

Thank you. I will look out for them. I make my own as I'm so faddy but if your MIL says so who am I to argue?

Tennisnan Tue 02-Feb-16 22:56:11

No Le Creuset in my TK Maxx today but the exact size and shape shallow cast iron casserole I wanted in a make called Kuhn Rikon. Never heard of it before but bought it anyway. B4 I take the label off, anyone know if they're as good as Le C?

Alea Tue 02-Feb-16 23:10:08

I use mine a lot - all in cream, although 45 years ago I had an "original" wedding present flame casserole which I sadly ruined. I now have a big round shallow lidded one which is great for 6-8 people, a smaller casserole and one with a handle with a lid which also serves as a non stick frying pan,oh and a rectangular gratin dish which is also brilliant. I did buy some cheap copies from the Daily Telegraph a few years ago, but don't use them as much and also 2 very heavy non-stick French lookalikes which I bought in a cash and carry near Calsis years and years ago. They are good for huge numbers.
What I like is that I can use them on the hob, in the regular oven and in my slow oven and then serve straight from them at the table.

Marmight Tue 02-Feb-16 23:42:26

I am hugely envious of a friend who has an vast set of stainless steel Le Creueset pots and pans - lighter than the originals, but incredibly expensive. I have some of the original flame coloured casseroles but only use them when the family are staying. I bequeathed the large frying pan to a DD when it became too heavy to handle. Another DD was given a big black LeC casserole for her birthday last week from her DH. She was not amused grin