Gransnet forums

Chat

Mull

(33 Posts)
Greenfinch Sat 01-Aug-15 10:25:08

We are spending a week on the Isle of Mull at the end of the month hoping to see lots of wildlife . Does anyone have any advice eg will we need insect repellent and how can we constructively amuse the grandchildren (twins aged 8 ) ?

rosesarered Mon 03-Aug-15 14:03:14

grin Yikes!All those midges, do hope you don't come across them Greenfinch.I was basing the August thing on past experiences, but they don't always obey the calendar so may be early or late depending on weather conditions.

Greenfinch Mon 03-Aug-15 13:29:10

Thanks for the suggestions Cari which I will take on board (literally !)
I have never heard of shut the box.

"bag of midges"*anno*. The mind boggles ! shock

annodomini Mon 03-Aug-15 13:10:44

Many pubs and hotels in the Highlands and islands now have 'midge-eating' traps. They exude some kind of hormone which attracts the insects and they are caught in a bag. I've seen the results (in Mull) which were remarkable. It's surprising how much a bag of midges weighs! You might be lucky, Greenfinch and find a pub with one of these gadgets.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 03-Aug-15 13:04:05

We holiday in Scotland most years with a (now) 7yo. Our favourite place though do find wellies and cagoules invaluable! Not made it to Mull but have done Skye and Oban and not had too many midges (August) so will keep everything crossed for you.

Rockpooling always a winner. We always take lots of games just in case it is really wet (still go out but good for after you've dried off grin) Favourites include Yahtzee (we just take the pad and the dice so v portable), Uno, pick up sticks, mini Mastermind (which is about 30 years old but assume they still make!) and a mini version of shut the box. Oh and a pack of cards. And LOTS of books. All holidays require lots of books.

Greenfinch Mon 03-Aug-15 12:19:21

Thanks newist.We know Barra, North Uist and Benbecula and are looking forward to experiencing the Inner Hebrides though the journey will be long as we live in Berkshire. My ancestors came from The Western Isles and lived there until the Clearances and beyond. It is strange that I always feel very much at home in the area.

newist Mon 03-Aug-15 12:06:59

I am sure you and your family will have a lovely holiday Greenfinch smile

Greenfinch Mon 03-Aug-15 11:21:21

I'm beginning to feel quite itchy already grin. At least we will be prepared for the worst !

newist Mon 03-Aug-15 11:17:43

Generally not always though, they make an appearance when there's no wind, not bright sunshine, what I would call a muggy day, there are always exceptions though

Nelliemoser Mon 03-Aug-15 11:09:57

It is said the wind helps to keep midges away, but it's better if you can still stand upright when its blowing. wink

annodomini Mon 03-Aug-15 10:49:31

I don't know where you got that information, roses, I well remember when we were caravanning in Wester Ross one July, that we had to give up and move to the East coast because the midges were just intolerable. Even the poor dog was suffering and we found that the only safe place was under water.

newist Mon 03-Aug-15 10:31:36

Also, just as an added precaution, take some tweezers or a little tick removal gadget, in the past 2 days I have had to remove 4 ticks and that wasn't in long grass. I wish the midges here would stick to calendar months to appear, we can even get them in the winter if the conditions are right.

rosesarered Mon 03-Aug-15 09:40:39

The midges descend in August Greenfinch, other months are felt to be ok.
Have a lovely time there, it sounds a wonderful peaceful place.smile

Greenfinch Mon 03-Aug-15 08:06:52

SiL uses e-cigarettes . Wonder if that will have the same effect !

Katek Sun 02-Aug-15 23:40:18

SkinSoSoft is a must-even the mountain shops sell it. The other midge deterrent is a pipe if anyone feels like taking up smoking......?!?

numberplease Sun 02-Aug-15 22:30:04

We stayed on the shores of Loch Lomond a few years ago, in July, and I swore never again in midge season! They left hubby alone, but they nearly ate me alive, a most unpleasant experience, it spoiled what should have been a wondrous time in the most beautiful of surroundings. We`ve been several times though to Soop`s part of the world, in July and August, and never even seen midges, we must have been extremely lucky.

annodomini Sun 02-Aug-15 21:57:05

May and June are the best months for avoiding midges. September is usually safe - you must have been unlucky, Nellie. Once they've had the first of the autumn storms, the little brutes hibernate!

Bellanonna Sun 02-Aug-15 21:16:24

We went to Ardamurchan In June last year staying by the edge of Loch Sunart. Not a single midge. Maybe they just didn't find us tasty but to be honest we didn't see any flying around. My friend from Girvan told me we would be ok in June. However the OP is asking about August and hopefully some of the tips suggested will be helpful to her.

Nelliemoser Sun 02-Aug-15 20:54:06

I first went to Ardnamurchan just across from Mull in September.

When I arrived about 6pm ish the group I was with were sitting in the garden with their drinks. I went into the bar to buy mine and when I came out everyone had fled indoors as the midges suddenly descended.

granjura Sun 02-Aug-15 20:38:22

we went in October, NO midges!

Greenfinch Sun 02-Aug-15 17:33:54

Good to know of a nice pub ,thanks. I am beginning to fear these midges though. We will go well prepared.

Marelli Sun 02-Aug-15 16:26:17

There's a lovely pub at Tobermory called the Mishnish, Greenfinch! It's right opposite the ferry pier. We've stayed on Mull a few times and it's a really lovely place. Just a wee short trip over to Iona as well.
As far as the dreaded midge is concerned, the only thing that works for me is Avon Original Woodland Fresh bath oil. Put a little on the palm of your hands, rub them together and dab lightly on exposed areas - including your hair. Have a great trip! smile

Greenfinch Sun 02-Aug-15 16:16:06

Sounds marvellous. Would love to see some puffins. Once went on a puffin boat trip from Bournemouth and managed to see half a puffin!grin. Just a beak !

granjura Sun 02-Aug-15 16:05:57

Looked them up and was so surprised to see they do residential courses, with all meals and trips included, for just £100 a day- planning to go next year with OH now- can't wait to see puffins, never seen any, ever. Oh wow.

Greenfinch Sun 02-Aug-15 15:52:29

Thanks so much to all of you who have taken the trouble to respond. I am going to take up each and every one of your suggestions as they are so apt.It has made me quite excited about our trip and I am looking forward to the peace and quiet. For those of you who know the island we will be staying at Fishnish.

granjura Sun 02-Aug-15 14:42:00

Now can't remember the exact name- but we did a Mull guided 'safari' some years back- in a minibus with books and binoculars provided, expert advice and best locations found, + coffee and biscuits and lunch- seeing the White Tailed Eagles was wonderful and we then spent the afternoon watching otters feed and play at several locations- wonderful.