Gransnet forums

Chat

Mull

(32 Posts)
Greenfinch Sat 01-Aug-15 10:25:08

We are spending a week on the Isle of Mull at the end of the month hoping to see lots of wildlife . Does anyone have any advice eg will we need insect repellent and how can we constructively amuse the grandchildren (twins aged 8 ) ?

vampirequeen Sat 01-Aug-15 18:37:53

I've never been to Mull but if it's like a lot of Scotland you will need to protect yourselves from midges.

You could prepare them a discoverer's backpack each containing a cheap pair of binoculars, a bug catcher, a magnifying glass, a pen/pencil and a homemade little booklet of things to find/see? Make some easy and some harder. Children love minibeast hunts so you could put some bugs in the booklet. If you are going to be near a pond you could also put some pond life in it and go dipping.

They could also make a memory stick. Each child has a stoutish stick...they have to find it on day one if possible...a bit like a walking stick. Wrap lots of rubber bands around it. The children fasten things they find such as feathers, leaves or anything that interests them to the stick using the rubber bands. Once home they can stand them in the garden like totem poles. to remind them of where they went and what they saw.

mcem Sat 01-Aug-15 19:03:27

If the wee ones are familiar with the Balamory tv programme then visit Tobermory. My Dgd's had a super time identifying the coloured houses which are home to the various tv characters.
Torosay castle is exploration territory!
And yes to midge repellant. (Midges are definitely a west coast problem!)

Stansgran Sat 01-Aug-15 19:52:26

Trip out to iona and Fingals cave is a brilliant. Also boat out to see the seals. ISpy books are a joy for travelling. Really loved Iona and met someone who had gone on a retreat there every year for over 20 years. I met her drinking champagne in Glasgow. I decided I wanted to do the same( she was in her eighties) caveat the weather was brilliant.

Nelliemoser Sat 01-Aug-15 20:40:39

Oh you will really need insect repellent scottish midges are B*****S it is alleged the the SAS use skin so soft.

www.amazon.co.uk/Avon-Guard-IR3535-EXPEDITION-Spray/dp/B00199RQ5S

You might want to try a midge face cover as well.

www.survivalaids.com/british-forces-mosquitomidge-micro-head-net?gclid=CJit0oTRiMcCFdMatAodaYYK0Qio

annodomini Sat 01-Aug-15 20:46:02

Mull is a lovely island, even with man-(and woman-)eating midges. Whale and dolphin watching trips can be arranged from Tobermory. The museum in Tobermory is run entirely by volunteers and is worth a visit there are exhibits from a Spanish Galleon from the Armanda which was wrecked off Tobermory and is now a magnet for divers, though I don't think that's in your plans, Greenfinch grin. The local bookshop has plenty of locally produced booklets which will tell you all you need to know - and more. There's a magnificent beach at Calgary which I'm sure would be ideal for the twins. Crossed fingers for good weather.

Stansgran Sat 01-Aug-15 21:48:40

We prefer Smidge the midge also amazon. Works for us better than avon.

granjura Sun 02-Aug-15 14:42:00

Now can't remember the exact name- but we did a Mull guided 'safari' some years back- in a minibus with books and binoculars provided, expert advice and best locations found, + coffee and biscuits and lunch- seeing the White Tailed Eagles was wonderful and we then spent the afternoon watching otters feed and play at several locations- wonderful.

Greenfinch Sun 02-Aug-15 15:52:29

Thanks so much to all of you who have taken the trouble to respond. I am going to take up each and every one of your suggestions as they are so apt.It has made me quite excited about our trip and I am looking forward to the peace and quiet. For those of you who know the island we will be staying at Fishnish.

granjura Sun 02-Aug-15 16:05:57

Looked them up and was so surprised to see they do residential courses, with all meals and trips included, for just £100 a day- planning to go next year with OH now- can't wait to see puffins, never seen any, ever. Oh wow.

Greenfinch Sun 02-Aug-15 16:16:06

Sounds marvellous. Would love to see some puffins. Once went on a puffin boat trip from Bournemouth and managed to see half a puffin!grin. Just a beak !

Marelli Sun 02-Aug-15 16:26:17

There's a lovely pub at Tobermory called the Mishnish, Greenfinch! It's right opposite the ferry pier. We've stayed on Mull a few times and it's a really lovely place. Just a wee short trip over to Iona as well.
As far as the dreaded midge is concerned, the only thing that works for me is Avon Original Woodland Fresh bath oil. Put a little on the palm of your hands, rub them together and dab lightly on exposed areas - including your hair. Have a great trip! smile

Greenfinch Sun 02-Aug-15 17:33:54

Good to know of a nice pub ,thanks. I am beginning to fear these midges though. We will go well prepared.

granjura Sun 02-Aug-15 20:38:22

we went in October, NO midges!

Nelliemoser Sun 02-Aug-15 20:54:06

I first went to Ardnamurchan just across from Mull in September.

When I arrived about 6pm ish the group I was with were sitting in the garden with their drinks. I went into the bar to buy mine and when I came out everyone had fled indoors as the midges suddenly descended.

Bellanonna Sun 02-Aug-15 21:16:24

We went to Ardamurchan In June last year staying by the edge of Loch Sunart. Not a single midge. Maybe they just didn't find us tasty but to be honest we didn't see any flying around. My friend from Girvan told me we would be ok in June. However the OP is asking about August and hopefully some of the tips suggested will be helpful to her.

annodomini Sun 02-Aug-15 21:57:05

May and June are the best months for avoiding midges. September is usually safe - you must have been unlucky, Nellie. Once they've had the first of the autumn storms, the little brutes hibernate!

numberplease Sun 02-Aug-15 22:30:04

We stayed on the shores of Loch Lomond a few years ago, in July, and I swore never again in midge season! They left hubby alone, but they nearly ate me alive, a most unpleasant experience, it spoiled what should have been a wondrous time in the most beautiful of surroundings. We`ve been several times though to Soop`s part of the world, in July and August, and never even seen midges, we must have been extremely lucky.

Katek Sun 02-Aug-15 23:40:18

SkinSoSoft is a must-even the mountain shops sell it. The other midge deterrent is a pipe if anyone feels like taking up smoking......?!?

Greenfinch Mon 03-Aug-15 08:06:52

SiL uses e-cigarettes . Wonder if that will have the same effect !

rosesarered Mon 03-Aug-15 09:40:39

The midges descend in August Greenfinch, other months are felt to be ok.
Have a lovely time there, it sounds a wonderful peaceful place.smile

newist Mon 03-Aug-15 10:31:36

Also, just as an added precaution, take some tweezers or a little tick removal gadget, in the past 2 days I have had to remove 4 ticks and that wasn't in long grass. I wish the midges here would stick to calendar months to appear, we can even get them in the winter if the conditions are right.

annodomini Mon 03-Aug-15 10:49:31

I don't know where you got that information, roses, I well remember when we were caravanning in Wester Ross one July, that we had to give up and move to the East coast because the midges were just intolerable. Even the poor dog was suffering and we found that the only safe place was under water.

Nelliemoser Mon 03-Aug-15 11:09:57

It is said the wind helps to keep midges away, but it's better if you can still stand upright when its blowing. wink

newist Mon 03-Aug-15 11:17:43

Generally not always though, they make an appearance when there's no wind, not bright sunshine, what I would call a muggy day, there are always exceptions though