Gransnet forums

Chat

Black Friday

(56 Posts)
ginny Thu 26-Nov-15 09:00:46

Silly, greedy American idea.

Who else is joining 'Buy nothing Friday' ?

Teetime Fri 27-Nov-15 09:35:07

I think its a great pity that we have adopted the title of Black Friday for this discount day and I don't think there are any more bargains than there would have been. I might have a look on JL for new pans as I recently boiled dry 2 of mine!

nipsmum Fri 27-Nov-15 10:15:00

I'm joining buy nothing Friday.

phoenix Fri 27-Nov-15 10:17:18

I do my food shopping on a Friday, will go a bit later in the hope that any crowds might have dissipated a bit!

Sararose Fri 27-Nov-15 10:28:28

Completely opted out! There is nothing that I need and I think we will just go out for a walk!

Retrolady Fri 27-Nov-15 10:37:59

Avoiding like the plague. These are not really discounts, just another example of money off offers which are around constantly. Hardly ever need to pay whatever full price is these days. M&S had 20% off vouchers last weekend for example.

Retrolady Fri 27-Nov-15 10:38:48

Me too. Got to fit it in between the early crowds and the pick-up-from school mums ...

Gaggi3 Fri 27-Nov-15 10:48:05

I saw a woman interviewed last year who had bought something like a TV or some other largish item, and she actually said that she didn't really want it! That definitely puts me off.

Gaggi3 Fri 27-Nov-15 10:48:05

I saw a woman interviewed last year who had bought something like a TV or some other largish item, and she actually said that she didn't really want it! That definitely puts me off.

TerriBull Fri 27-Nov-15 11:18:16

I have to admit to taking advantage of Black Friday this year. I bought a couple of items in East 30 per cent off, they are still too expensive though. When I wandered into my nearby town yesterday to make my purchases, and although many shops had already marked down their Black Friday bargains, it was all Quiet on the Western Front. I may go again later today, but the scenes I saw on the tv last year of people manhandling wide screen tvs and elbowing fellow customers out of the way, exemplified the worst of consumerism in my opinion. I think many are opting to do their buying on line anyway.

Wurzelernie Fri 27-Nov-15 11:30:01

I opt out of ''Black Friday'' Why Black, will somebody tell me. It seems like an excuse to spend money you don'd really want to and I have a feeling that somewhere along the line, greed plays a part. Sadly, yet another import from America.

merlotgran Fri 27-Nov-15 11:45:05

Feeling smug because I did all my shopping yesterday. Car parks were packed so obviously there are loads of people avoiding Black Friday.

Auntieflo Fri 27-Nov-15 12:09:03

Well of course it would be Black Friday. My trusty little bedside alarm clock has given up the ghost, so I decided to replace it with a mains powered clock radio. The Argos site was jammed. I kept getting to the " pay now" bit, then OOPS, we've encountered a problem, or words to that effect. I have finally managed to order one, and will pay when I collect. Seemed much easier than trying to pay before collection, why??? It has taken me all morning, good job that I've nothing more exciting to do than sit here and watch the screen until now, but I'm off out this afternoon, volunteering. Perhaps the customers will all want more of a bargain than they usually get in our shop. grin. Have a good weekend one and all.

boulding2 Fri 27-Nov-15 12:09:53

Just got both DIL Christmas pressies free p&p and reduced from the comfort of my armchair.

oldperson Fri 27-Nov-15 12:11:08

The presenter on my local radio breakfast show decided to see if things were cheaper today than when he bought them a few weeks ago. With the exception of books and DVD's he found the presents he had bought would have cost him more today.
The sooner this stupid American import returns whence it came the better. Why must we always copy?

keffie Fri 27-Nov-15 12:29:57

No! In a word. I have bought bits this week online in the Black Friday week as I needed them however that's it. It's all a con anyway. I wanted this fascinator for my son wedding from a certain well known brand.

It was knocked down in price through ''normal'' sale, until a week ago when I went on to see if it was still on sale. They had put it back up to full price. This week it has gone back down again in price to the same sale price as before.

No point in Black Friday IMO! If something is on sale and you are happy to pay the sale price whatever the time of year is then get it then

Cher53 Fri 27-Nov-15 12:50:44

I think if you need something and it is reduced then yes. I was down at the shops this morning and it wasn't too bad, I was only down to buy food from M&S Dine-In offer. Some folk were rushing about as if their life depended on it, but I feel most people now have no patience at all. I'm glad I got out of retail before all this craziness started, I do not understand why we have to adopt everything from America.
As for Christmas, if you are short of cash and need to watch the pennies it is good but why kill each other when there are sales all year round. Christmas lost all it's true meaning years ago, but the shops and the media drive this, not people.

Gaggi3 Fri 27-Nov-15 13:16:38

Just seen on the news that Black Friday seems to be a non-event, except on-line. Voting with the feet, or fingers.

Perdita33 Fri 27-Nov-15 13:42:04

Just bought some gorgeous purple suede boots for 25 pounds, reduced from 85, in small shop in town. I just happened to be walking past the shop.

auntbett Fri 27-Nov-15 15:05:57

Not sure about this and whether it's even worth thinking about rushing into the melee!

I was recently looking for a particular perfume for a celeb minded niece (!). On-line said perfume (same site) 30 ml Black Friday price £12.00, 50 ml price NOT Black Friday price £9.00 (on offer).

ffinnochio Fri 27-Nov-15 15:39:35

Just seen this and thought I would mention to the OP that not all American culture is silly and greedy.

Black Friday is just their equivalent of the Boxing Day sales.

More fool the English that buy into the concept of either.

Ana Fri 27-Nov-15 15:50:06

What about the rest of the UK, ffinnochio?

The Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish are not immune to the lure of a possible bargain...

ffinnochio Fri 27-Nov-15 16:09:54

Indeed. British, then.

Clematisa Fri 27-Nov-15 16:52:52

I've been buying my Christmas gifts over the last few months so I wouldn't feel pressured to go and buy today... either at the shops or on line! Watching my budget so I don't end up begrudging it come January.

rubysmoke Fri 27-Nov-15 17:36:19

what Black Friday? As far as I could see no different to usual though I only popped out for essentials; to a local shopping centre. Asda have cut petrol and diesel prices for 2 days - always good

M0nica Fri 27-Nov-15 19:04:02

I've seen reports saying that this year's Black Friday, has been more like a pale grey Friday, although the internet has been busy.