Gransnet forums

Chat

Black Friday

(56 Posts)
ginny Thu 26-Nov-15 09:00:46

Silly, greedy American idea.

Who else is joining 'Buy nothing Friday' ?

GrandmaValerie Fri 27-Nov-15 20:35:40

Blow Black Friday. I made my first batch of fudge, much of which will join jars of River Cottage Glutney (saw it on Gransnet and downloaded Hugh F-W's recipe) as Christmas gifts, including for the DGCs' teachers.

Beats fighting one's way through a sale.

jayse Fri 27-Nov-15 23:00:25

Most of the so called massive savings are far from what they seem. Almost all the sites seem to be claiming massive discounts on the recommended retail price NOT their normal selling price. Other items that seem like bargains are, as other contributors have noted, end of lines not wanted anymore so again not an honest bargain.
I have ordered a vacuum cleaner today as the motor burnt out on my old one, I compared a lot of sites and gave up on the black Friday "bargains" . I have also bought a few Christmas toys for the grandchildren but only things that I was going to buy, some of the cashback sites had extra offers ie higher percentage cashback for black Friday.
I find the whole thing really annoying as like many other things it has come over from America and doesn't have the same relevance here as it does there.
I would say I was on the non shopping side as I did not trawl through for any bargains and deleted all the emails telling what amazing bargains retailers had.

Anniebach Fri 27-Nov-15 23:35:55

If not on a good wage it's understandable people hope to find a bargain

Lynnabelle Sat 28-Nov-15 03:22:44

It's called Black Friday as it is supposed to be the day when the shops make enough profit to get in the black. Even the Americans are cutting back on it as their bkack Friday sales started earlier this week.

Charleygirl Sat 28-Nov-15 09:55:06

I am more than happy- I bought a pair of shoes (I normally buy this type) and received 20% off. I also stocked up with prescription cat food and got 15% off so my cat has enough dry food until spring or longer. I did all of this on line quite late at night to avoid the rush.