Gransnet forums

Chat

Get packing.

(71 Posts)
Teetime Thu 28-Apr-16 09:09:24

Its that time of year again (well for me anyway) when the suitcases come out and we pack for holidays and weekends away. Has anyone any packing tips to share please? What to pack, what not to pack and how?

ninathenana Thu 28-Apr-16 09:16:12

One thing H won't go without is a headlight as hotel bedside lights are often rubbish for reading. Doesn't bother me as I use my kindle.
I found rolling rather than folding works well too.

granniefinn Thu 28-Apr-16 09:22:25

Put all you think you are going to take on to a bed then cut it in half that's what I try to do but it dosent always work that way hmm

BBbevan Thu 28-Apr-16 09:24:09

I always pack a thermos of milk and some tea bags. I hate that UHT milk some hotels have. Also some biscuits. If going abroad then only biscuits and tea.

Greyduster Thu 28-Apr-16 09:24:12

What to pack? Everything but the kitchen sink! What not to pack? DH's underpants, as happened on our holiday last year. He was not pleased blush!

Charleygirl Thu 28-Apr-16 09:35:41

One would think when I pack that I am going to the middle of the Sahara desert and there is not a shop in sight for 1000 miles so I try not to forget anything and take far too much.

Greyduster why did he not select what he wanted to take but leave the packing to you? Tough if you forgot his underpants- that is his responsibility, not yours. Does he need re-training?!

Greyduster Thu 28-Apr-16 10:13:27

Unfortunately, I am Officer in Charge of packing - if I left it to him it would be chaos, because he hasn't got a clue. Fortunately, even in the wilds of West Wales there are shops that sell underpants, so he didn't have to go commando ?!

Hammycmt Thu 28-Apr-16 10:14:13

Haha Greyduster. that was my first thought too!I too find rolling saves lot of space. Also stuffing shoes with pants/tights or socks.

EmilyHarburn Thu 28-Apr-16 10:20:18

In June will be flying Ryan air with only 10K hand baggage. Have just ordered the correct size cabin case viz:
Suitcase maximum dimensions of 55 x 40 x 20 cm, and which is not heavier than 10 kg,
plus one smaller item up to 35 x 20 x 20 cm.

I have measured my handbag which fits the smaller item. Can put as many heavy things like kindle, camera, telephone etc in this as it is not weighed.

Am going to a conference with a dinner and on to a friend who walks in the country side. Have not yet worked out what I am going to wear.

David1968 Thu 28-Apr-16 10:43:06

Last year DH and I did a three month round-the-world trip - with one case each. What helped us was using "packing cubes". (Sometimes known as "packing pod"; See helpful article:
practicaltravelgear.com/the-pros-and-cons-of-packing-cubes/
We bought our packing cubes from Ecosusi (available on Amazon) and they are brilliant. (There are other brands available and some helpful videos on You Tube.) We bought two sets (four different sized "cubes" in each set) - in two different colours. DH loves the smallest ones for electrical stuff and I think they are great for toiletries. The bigger ones are perfect for clothes They've lasted well despite everything we put them though, and they washed well on return home, with all zips still working and no discernible wear. (Shampoo leaked within one - no problem to wash the cube - and it meant that the shampoo didn't go all across the case.) We've found the cubes to be equally useful for short trips in the UK. I anticipate using them for years. You can lift them straight from your case into a drawer when you get there - so easy. Recommended!

Galen Thu 28-Apr-16 10:57:48

I have a list on my computer. I print it out each time then ammend according to season etc

Humbertbear Thu 28-Apr-16 11:01:27

I agree with David 1968. I always use cubes. They were especially useful on a touring holiday where I never unpacked at all but simply returned clothes to the correct cube after wear or washing. I put my purchases under the cubes out of the way.

Lilyflower Thu 28-Apr-16 11:56:55

Just Googled 'packing cubes' and they look brilliant.

Teabags have got to be the one thing you can't travel without, surely?

westieyaya Thu 28-Apr-16 12:09:04

I'm in the process of packing for a 3 week cruise, so far have been putting all non clothing items in one case - now in a muddle, and stacking / hanging clothes ready to pack in second case. Main problem is no weight restriction. Trying to decide whether I want to wash as I travel or take enough for everyday. My darling late husband was always brilliant at not taking the kitchen sink.

Nonnie1 Thu 28-Apr-16 12:41:56

I'm off in five weeks and I have bought two toothbrushes and some toothpaste. It's like admitting it to yourself and now I have done something I feel a relief.

All I have to do is get the suitcases back that someone borrowed and then I can start to put things in instead of leaving it all to the night before as I normally do. Oh - and find the passports . Done that. Now I have to remember where I have put them safely.

Good intentions !

LOL

Madmartha Thu 28-Apr-16 12:47:12

I'm definitely a kitchen-sinker, and I always take 2 poly bags stuffed with 'just in case' medication - you name it & it's probably in there. That was after a 'what if we're taken ill here?' holiday in an isolated resort on St Vincent. Would never go away without my travel kettle (have one specially for the Caribbean or it takes all day to boil) and Yorkshire tea bags to wake up to. Stuff in a couple of large bags of salted peanuts for very hot hols - replaces salt and good for nibbles with a glass of something chilled on the balcony wine sunshine

Madmartha Thu 28-Apr-16 12:51:37

Here's a good pre-hols tip: buy a cheap collapsable clothes rail and stick it up in the spare room for hanging clothes on before packing - mine goes up weeks before so I know where I am smile

TrishTopcat Thu 28-Apr-16 12:59:21

I bought 2 packing bags from Lakeland that work like those bags you store bedding in - where you vacuum the air out and they squash small. In the case of the suitcase vacuum packs, you don't actually need a vacuum cleaner, you pack them, roll them, and there is a non return valve to stop the air getting back in when you lie them flat again.
I am going away tomorrow, and all my stuff is laid out on the bed - I can tell it will never all go into my suitcase, so will be interested to see if these new gizmos work, or if I'm going to have to leave half of it behind.

GinnyTonic Thu 28-Apr-16 13:16:29

My friends and family despair of my over-packing and spending months planning our annual visit to our family in Oz. One friend refused to share a cabin cruising down the Nile unless she could inspect my luggage to make sure there would be room for her in the cabin. If anyone needs to borrow a case they know I have them in every size known to man. In efforts to change, I have replaced my permanent holiday garment rail with the folding type , but I still put my essential holiday clothes on colour coded hangers in the wardrobes. I have found the pencil case type of zipped bag very handy to organise my myriad of cables for my plethora of electrical goodies, and will be trying packing cubes on my next trip

JackyB Thu 28-Apr-16 13:17:22

Oh no here comes another long long post by JackyB. Sorry.

I fly Ryanair frequently and when I visit my mother I only have about 3 -5 kg of hand luggage (no check-in bag). 10 kg is a lot of baggage to carry (or even pull on wheels) on those long walks through airports (Stansted, Dublin I know have very long distances) OK - I have all my toiletries, slippers and a dressing gown at hers, so I only need a couple of tops and clean underpants and any presents, but it's enough.

Anyway - I never pack ages in advance. If I prepare stuff in advance I forget about it. All has to be done the night before.

Lists are vital. Important, indispensible. Those can be started as much in advance as you like. They take the worry out of travelling and make the journey there part of the holiday itself (as it should be!).

Be prepared! I have a travel toothbrush and a mini toothpaste in my handbag at all times, as well as a chunk of deodorant crystal and a comb and a few sample sachets of shampoo and face cream. This covers a good deal of the essentials for short stays.

Passport and purse I never put in my handbag when travelling - always in the pocket of my trousers. I always carry a small handtowel in a side pocket of my carry-on bag. (I hate the hand dryers in airports and stations)

If I'm staying in a hotel I don't take shampoo or shower gel - they should have them there even in the most primitive hotels.

My system is:

First and foremost: Count out underpants, socks, bras and pack them away first (in a separate clean bag, or an old pyjama case if you have one.) And don't forget a nightie!!!

Then the outer garments - just enough for the days you will be away (up to a week), plus special activity (hiking, swimming) , or event (wedding, open air opera) gear. Rolled, of course, not folded.

Shoes in bags (cloth or plastic), down the sides and round the edges of the suitcase.

Toiletries - each in an individual plastic bag, well waterproofed, and spread about the case. I have never figured out how you pack a lumpy old sponge bag once you have spread the clothes out flat all over the case.

Anything over a week - expect to wash clothes whilst away. Not only does it reduce the load - but who wants to tote around dirty linen that is over a week old?

Rules I have learned from others:

1. Wear the heaviest shoes to avoid carrying them
2. Make sure the actual bag/case you use is as light as possible
3. If you're checking in a case, put as much in it as possible. You do not need all that junk en route.
4. Leave all your keys somewhere safe at home. Just put a single front-door key in your purse with the coins. (I now keep a copy of the back door key in my purse anyway)
5. Putting things in your pockets will reduce the weight of your handbag.

And things that tend to get forgotten:

a:- charger for phone (with adapter if necessary. But bear in mind that a USB plug will fit anywhere in the world.)
b: pens and notepad to keep a travel diary
c: A nightie
d: If you're going somewhere hotter or colder do not over/underestimate the temperatures!.

Not absolutely necessary, but can be useful:

If you are keeping a holiday diary, a small roll of sellotape, a Pritt stick and a couple of coloured pens.

Don't worry - you can get it once you're there

Something I always seem to have to buy the minute I cross a border or land in an aeroplane: Emery boards!

Forgetting things is no great problem. Most things you can ask for at hotel reception or buy at the airport. In fact, buying a swimsuit, a hairbrush or a tube of hand cream is a huge part of the fun of being in foreign parts.

rubysong Thu 28-Apr-16 13:32:40

Like Galen, I print out my standard packing list and tweak as needed. We are off to USA in June and will pack as light as poss (I have sandals, swimsuit and fleece jacket there already). I hope to have room for some of the many books DS left with us when they moved there. I will also take some gifts and tea bags and sweets. I can always buy clothes there and they have plenty of toiletries for us to use.

petra Thu 28-Apr-16 13:37:19

A good photo copy of your passport. It's invaluable if the worst happens.

2old4hotpants Thu 28-Apr-16 13:42:03

A bit of a faff, but I draw up a list before packing, not just of items but of what will go with what and if it is day or evening wear. For example next to “blue skirt” I may have Day - striped navy T, flower print blouse, Evening - lacy top. The tops would then be “cross referenced” with other skirts or trousers. I make sure everything can be worn 2/3 times, but each time as a different outfit. I find this really focusses the mind on how many articles of clothing are actually needed. I take the list away as a reminder, and always manage with a cabin size case (summer hols that is)

annodomini Thu 28-Apr-16 13:44:07

I can't believe how organised some of you are. I usually arrive at the destination with everything I need, but the blind spot is, of course, the hairbrush. I have brushes - and combs - bought on several continents and Scotland. The most important thing is not to forget my pills and potions. Once I had to go to an after-hours centre with my repeat prescription. It was touch and go.And I always take said prescription with me as well as my glasses prescription.

oldgoat Thu 28-Apr-16 14:27:31

OH is very organised and carries photocopies of our prescriptions, and also copies of the photo page of both passports on the same sheet of paper. Both have come in handy : the prescriptions when our return was delayed 13 days by the ash cloud and the passports when my handbag was stolen the day before we were due to fly home from Germany. Passport control allowed me to leave the country because OH still had his passport plus the photocopy with my picture beside his.