Gransnet forums

Chat

White Wine

(29 Posts)
bartonlady Sun 29-May-16 18:02:43

Does anyone else feel depressed and miserable after 2-3 glasses of white wine??? I usually have a small brandy before dinner every evening, but yesterday we had guests and I drank about 3 glasses of white wine while sitting in the garden....felt terrible about 2 hours later. White wine never had this effect when I was younger!! Is there some-thing in it that affects women over 66!! Thinking back it has happened before but I never connected it to the wine, or is it my imagination???

Charleygirl Sun 29-May-16 18:09:17

No- I am fine after 2-3 glasses of white or red wine to the extent that I restrict myself to a bottle every 4-6 weeks or I may well be joining the AA. I have never had any after effects.

bartonlady Sun 29-May-16 18:12:37

I'm fine with red wine, it just seems to be white wine? I'll avoid it in future, if I remember!

phoenix Sun 29-May-16 18:12:53

No problem here!

Nonnie1 Sun 29-May-16 18:18:37

I think it depends on your mood and upon what you are drinking. I much prefer Sauvignon Blanc or Chianti to say Chardonnay. Some of them are rather too oakey for my palate.

Prosecco is always nice - even nicer with strawberries or cherries or chocolate truffles in smileread my thread and see what one glass did for me today smile

Nonnie1 Sun 29-May-16 18:19:45

..and of course there's always the company... I am available to rent by the hour purely for the purpose of coming round and having a drink smile

I'm in a brill mood today x

Greyduster Sun 29-May-16 18:19:58

I can't drink even one glass of white wine. It upsets my stomach and makes me feel dreadful. I restrict myself to red and the occasional glass of rose and keep a bottle of white in the fridge for risotto and bouef stroganoff! It wasn't always thus. I started my excursion into wine drinking, like I suspect most people did, with whites, and in the eighties, when we were living in Europe, we drank some wonderful French and German whites, but then I gravitated toward reds and now can only drink red. I do miss the odd glass of Puilly Fume though...... Or a nice Chablis!

merlotgran Sun 29-May-16 18:21:17

The white (and red) wine has been flowing here all weekend thanks to a family get-together. Definitely nobody feeling depressed or miserable grin

Judthepud2 Sun 29-May-16 18:28:04

I love a chilled glass of white wine or maybe even 2 when the weather is good. It has to be a good quality dry white though. However, more than 2 upsets my tummy and leaves me feeling rather dehydrated. Hadn't noticed depression. Perhaps you were feeling down about something bartonlady.

TriciaF Sun 29-May-16 18:28:15

Maybe it's when the initial effects wear off. It's well known that alcohol is basically a depressive.

harrigran Sun 29-May-16 18:32:11

When I reached 60 I found that I could no longer drink alcohol in any volume, it made me feel really quite ill. I think as you get older your body does not metabolise the alcohol so well.

whitewave Sun 29-May-16 18:40:41

I usually have a glass of red or white every night with my meal, but if I had a brandy and 3 glasses of wine I would also feeling depressedgrin

HildaW Sun 29-May-16 18:57:29

After a girls night that involved a lot of supermarket white wine (and one person who became a sneaky topper-upper) I was quite poorly and although not drunk felt poisoned and quite miserable all the next day I switched to organic wine to reduce the sulphides as suggested by a health conscious friend. It works on two levels - fewer chemicals and, as its more expensive and a less readily available, I am less keen to open a bottle. One 12 bottle case from Waitrose lasts me almost three times as long and I am a lot healthier for it!

kittylester Sun 29-May-16 19:13:41

Nope, not a problem here!wine

Welshwife Sun 29-May-16 19:25:49

I find that sometimes cheaper wines affect my stomach which more expensive ones do not. I could drink good Champagne all evening and be fine but a glass or so of plonk and I don't feel so good.

morethan2 Sun 29-May-16 20:06:20

I can drink most anything but in moderation. A hangover would be cured by the afternoon in my youth, as I got older the time to recover lengthened. Now I'd be in a terrible state for 2 days. So I'm careful. I do love alcohol though...any alcohol. wine wine wine

suzied Sun 29-May-16 20:14:44

Anything is better after a glass of white wine...just takes longer to recover.

granjura Sun 29-May-16 20:15:15

I go bright red if I drink white wine- so only have when with good friends or family- and never ever in the evening or that is a night's sleep gone.

No problem with red wine though. I have many friends who do not get on with white wine, one way or another.

Willow500 Mon 30-May-16 07:03:22

I don't drink white wine either as it gives me awful heartburn so I stick to red and then 2 glasses is my limit if I'm out. It doesn't make me depressed though - just very tired! I often wish I did like white as it looks delicious and the bottles in my fridge very tempting - a bit like all the wonderful array of spirits on the supermarket shelves which I also don't drink but could be tempted to buy grin

phoenix Mon 30-May-16 10:24:14

Mr P refers to Sparkling wine (especially Champagne) as a glass of something " restorative" grin

Charleygirl Mon 30-May-16 10:28:53

phoenix there are 2 alcoholic drinks which I hate, one is rose and the other is sparkling wine or even sparkling water.

granjura Mon 30-May-16 14:29:16

There is a great Swiss wine I can drink in the evening- it's called Oeil de Perdrix, and it is made with red grapes, but the skins are not steeped very long. It is a rosé, but very dry and tasty.

grannylyn65 Mon 30-May-16 15:18:32

Nothing wrong with AA, been in for 30 years ?

Juggernaut Mon 30-May-16 15:31:22

I haven't touched white wine for over thirty one years.....I consumed so much of it on my hen night, and was so ill afterwards, that it put me off for life!
I do like a drop of Irish Whiskey though, and the occasional Bloody Mary is always welcome!

bartonlady Mon 30-May-16 15:45:10

Thank you for for your advice, I also googled it and it seems that white wine (especially the 3 for £10.)!! can cause some to feel negative effects....so as I said before I'll stick to the red and my glass of brandy! Thanks again.