Gransnet forums

Chat

Boxing

(43 Posts)
jeberdes83 Mon 30-May-16 15:50:31

What do others think of women taking part in the "sport" of boxing?
I think boxing is barbaric anyway, but women taking part. Horrors!!

Tricia89 Wed 01-Jun-16 10:30:34

Men enjoy violence (the news is full of it) and while they're hitting each other they're not hitting us. I'm mystified why women would want to watch or participate. Perhaps too much testosterone. Kids should not take part as they're not yet able to understand the risks.

grannyactivist Wed 01-Jun-16 10:34:53

One of my foster sons is a keen boxer and I can see that the 'sport' promotes exercise, self-discipline and self-confidence and channels aggression, but my own view is that two people hitting each other is not an 'entertainment' that I would want to endorse. Yes, I know there are many other activities where people are injured every year and I'm prepared to believe that many of them lead to injuries that are worse than those caused by boxing, but doesn't it seem wrong to actively promote the infliction the pain of another person?

rafichagran Wed 01-Jun-16 13:43:13

If a woman wants to do boxing it is her choice. It is legal and a life style choice. If you don't like boxing fine, don't participate. I find some of the comments on here very patronising. I have known parents of young people who choose to box and they have been polite and gracious in their offspring defeat, unlike some of the football parents I have encountered who stand on the line swearing and shouting.

lizzypopbottle Wed 01-Jun-16 15:08:06

www.thetoptens.com/most-dangerous-sports/
Boxing comes in at No.7
It's an American site so it's a bit biased towards their sports.

lizzypopbottle Wed 01-Jun-16 15:15:25

In KUGB karate, chest protection and groin guards are recommended for women. Padded sparring mitts and mouth guards are compulsory for competition sparring.

Eloethan Wed 01-Jun-16 15:53:07

It is not "patronising" to feel strongly that young people should not have their health put at risk for the enrichment of promoters and other hangers-on.

New Scientist published this article, written by a neuroscientist, in 2013. www.newscientist.com/article/mg21929290-200-ban-boxing-its-demeaning-and-dangerous

Would you want your son or daughter to take up something professionally that would be almost guaranteed to give them some degree of brain damage?

Why should it be accepted that it's OK for (disproportionately disadvantaged) young men to have their aggression channelled into an activity that has serious long term health implications, rather than to address the reasons why some young men are full of resentment and aggression.

I quite agree that some parents behave disgracefully at their children's football matches and other sporting events but I don't think anybody has suggested that boxers or their parents are any more badly behaved than anyone else. My problem is not with the boxers but with the promoters who make money out of boxers without risking their own health, and the hordes of people who find it especially entertaining to see someone getting knocked out.

Eloethan Wed 01-Jun-16 16:08:30

I also don't agree with the argument that "if you don't like boxing fine, don't participate" (and, by implication, shut up about it). If it were not for people challenging unacceptable "entertainments", such as the 1930's "dance marathons" in the US, such cruel and barbaric practices would continue.

GandTea Wed 01-Jun-16 16:48:49

I think you will find that the banning of dance marathons was for more complex reasons than cruelty. Loss of profit by theatre owners, churches considering them lewd etc. Yes one man died, and one woman committed suicide for coming 5th.

Saying "if you don't like boxing fine, don't participate" (and, by implication, shut up about it) is putting words into others mouths, that is your interpretation of it. My interpretation is exactly what it says, don't watch or participate, you are obviously quite at will to object just as others are to be pro or neutral.
I would consider an activity to be cruel if the participants had no choice in the activity ie dog fighting. Barbaric is far more subjective, hence the ban on bare knuckle fighting.
With boxing you either love it, hate it, or couldn't care, any amount of talk is unlikely to change many minds.

lizzypopbottle Wed 01-Jun-16 16:58:04

Yes, indeed Eloethan we've made fairground bare knuckle fighting illegal, cock fighting, bear baiting and dog fighting too. I don't object to amateur boxing. It's very well controlled, head guards are worn and, for young people can be non contact, so scoring is technical. Professional boxing is totally different.

Many martial sports are designated non contact but, in practice, contact with control is common. I always wear chest protection when sparring. Accidents can happen. I've had bruised ribs a few times, a split lip and my nose broken once but, in 20 years of karate, I can count such injuries on the fingers of one empty hand. ?
The worst injury I've witnessed was when a friend ruptured her cruciate ligament but that was from slipping on a sweaty floor. Men are such sweaty creatures!

Horse riding is very dangerous according to injury and death statistics. They are now saying that rugby should be non contact for youngsters. There's also a connection been made with professional footballers and dementia due to collisions and impacts from heading the ball.
www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36005864

granjura Wed 01-Jun-16 17:59:07

GandTea, your comment:

'With boxing you either love it, hate it, or couldn't care, any amount of talk is unlikely to change many minds.'

does apply to adults. But shouldn't to kids, really.

GandTea Wed 01-Jun-16 18:37:55

As I said earlier, that's a decision for parents.

peaceatlast Wed 01-Jun-16 18:46:01

I am increasingly wondering why I joined this forum. I seem to find myself writing the same thing all the time.

Something along the lines of each to their own, horses for courses, etc. etc.

granjura Wed 01-Jun-16 18:48:02

children deserve our protection.

granjura Wed 01-Jun-16 19:03:01

Each to their own, of course. But the OP asked a clear question asking for opinions- so giving one's opinion does seem appropriate, no?
'
What do others think of women taking part in the "sport" of boxing?'

It's an exchange, a healthy debate- and we are indeed all different, thank goodness.

Lilyflower Wed 01-Jun-16 20:13:33

I have just read stories in the news about 'the hidden hazard' of football being that heading the ball causes the onset of dementia later in life. How much worse than football in this respect must rugby be and how much worse must boxing be than both of them.

Rugby has always appalled me as 'barbaric' but chaps do it and they seem to like violence.

GandTea Wed 01-Jun-16 20:29:54

There are many womens rugby teams

phizz Wed 01-Jun-16 21:55:03

Is boxing barbaric? In my opinion, Yes.