Gransnet forums

Chat

Who did you last Google and why?

(80 Posts)
grannyactivist Wed 29-Jun-16 23:54:24

I just googled Patrick Grant - I'm hooked on the Great British Sewing Bee, so I wanted to know a bit more about him. He's Scottish, went to boarding school and Oxford University, trained as an engineer and once worked as a nanny. He looks great in everything he wears cycling gear and has a girlfriend named Katie Hillier. I admit I did spend a few minutes drooling over looking at his images too. grin (I'm so shallow.)

Maggiemaybe Thu 30-Jun-16 09:02:28

Ah no, it wasn't Cyndi Lauper, it was Toyah Wilcox.

Off to Google memory failure in older people...

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 30-Jun-16 09:43:08

Liam Fox. Because I knew there was something dodgy about him but couldn't remember what.

MaizieD Thu 30-Jun-16 09:46:52

To answer the OP's question, the last person (she did ask 'who', not 'what')I googled was AW Pugin because the place where I volunteer was largely designed by him and his family and I am trying to write a vistor guide to the stained glass windows. Most of them were designed by him. Also because I wanted to establish how the various Pugins were related.

Jayh Thu 30-Jun-16 09:47:34

Colin Morgan who is looking lush on the telly just now. ?

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 30-Jun-16 09:51:57

grin

Teetime Thu 30-Jun-16 10:10:36

Ok I did a what instead of a who so I have just googled my SIL Dr Jonathan Power University of Chester- WOW he's gone up in my estimation I only ever see him glued to PlayStation or the Football.

Maggiemaybe Thu 30-Jun-16 10:19:15

A wee glimpse at the convoluted goings on in Maybe Towers here. Before Cyndi/Toyah, it was Kelsey Grammer, because we'd read an interview with him in which he mentioned that his sister was murdered by two serial killers. Ah, said I a couple of days later, I've just remembered that this was featured in that film about the woman trapped in her house because of agoraphobia and solving the murders.

Turned out it wasn't. It was Peter Lorre's daughter who was abducted by the serial killers named in the film.

Our search and subsequent links went:
Frasier Actor
Kelsey Grammer
Karen Grammer murder
Actor in Alien
Sigourney Weaver films
Copycat film
Hillside Stranglers
Buono and Bianchi
Katherine Lorre

It passes the time grin

Badenkate Thu 30-Jun-16 10:19:34

Just googled Andrea Leadsom to show DH her photo because he couldn't remember who she was

Katek Thu 30-Jun-16 10:20:34

I was looking for a young, classical guitarist from our area who won Bbc Young Musician s few years ago. Was wondering how he was doing now......very well indeed as it turns out. Brilliant young man.

Nandalot Thu 30-Jun-16 10:25:49

Following Sarah Vine's leaked email, I just googled her because I remember disliking her because of I was really angry about an article she wrote. I felt really strongly about it but I couldn't remember what it was about! Googling didn't help because it mostly returned the email articles.

Lindajane Thu 30-Jun-16 10:33:38

As the question was who and not what. I googled Thersa May. I wanted to find out a bit more about her and her experience. Like many I'm Google all the time. The last thing I googled was how to sterilise dishcloth by boiling. Such an exciting life! smile

belladonna Thu 30-Jun-16 10:34:59

Stansgran gloves and hat....safari tours usually set off early in the morning and it is freezing !!!!

Joelsnan Thu 30-Jun-16 10:36:20

Twiggy, to see how old she was.

belladonna Thu 30-Jun-16 10:36:51

Stansgran take gloves and hat ...safari tours often set off early morning and it is freezing!!!

Janal Thu 30-Jun-16 10:38:10

I just googled ground elder as a friend said I have some in my garden, luckily I have proved him wrong. ?

marionk Thu 30-Jun-16 10:43:29

Jeff Lynne, to find out how old he is

Lupatria Thu 30-Jun-16 10:57:07

i don't google - i bing!!
but, having said that, i think the last person i "binged" was an actor i saw on midsomer murders ............ knew his face so i had to wait until the credits came up to find his name. but now his name eludes me again!

Jayh Thu 30-Jun-16 11:00:45

I have just Googled myself and I don't exist! ?

Lona Thu 30-Jun-16 11:08:31

I googled the Wimbledon schedule, which for some reason reminded me of Freddie and the Dreamers, so googled them! I went out with one of them for a short time when I was 16/17 hmm
Back to Wimbledon.

schnackie Thu 30-Jun-16 11:23:49

I Googled two of my old boyfriends, only to find both dead!! I am only 63 and one of them was younger than me!

Jaycee5 Thu 30-Jun-16 11:28:36

I don't google people very often so I can't remember that but the last thing that I googled was Braga funicular railway. I get Atlas Obscura on my facebook feed which has lots of interesting random things and they had an article on an American funicular and someone made a comment to say that there was still a water powered one at Braga so I had a look at it and then one at Montmatre.

Bellanonna Thu 30-Jun-16 11:32:02

schnakie. That made me laugh. Sorry, probably wasn't meant to be funny.

Badenkate Thu 30-Jun-16 11:33:05

The problem is that Google can take over because one piece of information leads to another. ... Then you realise an hour's gone blush

Maggiemaybe Thu 30-Jun-16 11:35:11

Bit like Gransnet then, Badenkate.

gulligranny Thu 30-Jun-16 11:37:11

I googled Whistler's Mother; I belong to an art discussion group and after the mid-session interval (with copious tea and cake) we have a sort of "show & tell" of art-ish sort of things, and I wanted to know stuff about her because of the portrait he did of her as my contribution next meeting.
I also had a search for "Scolari", who's name has come up again re the England manager's job ... no, FA, no, is my view.