Gransnet forums

Chat

Elvis still king!

(73 Posts)
Cherrytree59 Sat 30-Jul-16 19:36:04

Had a lovely whirl wind of day
Three GS plus families here for youngest GS 1st Birthday.
All have returned home.
So have put feet up
DH has just put some Elvis on.
The music and the words are wonderful. I can picture him singing.
He is more of DH era.
but I think he's great
My DD also thinks so, she used to do rock and roll as part of her dance class.

Just listened to 'True Love' it brings a tear to your eyes.

For me he is still King

I've never met anybody who doesn't like Elvis

Bet I will now!

mintsmum Sun 31-Jul-16 15:53:47

My friend is a hospital volunteer who sits with dying patients. Often they ask for music and apparently the most requested is Elvis.

milkflake Sun 31-Jul-16 16:15:09

I can never understand why anyone says they don't like Elvis. I loved him from the start and have lots of firstly records, then tapes, then cd's and now they are on USB sticks. I can't think of better company when driving, I love his gospel songs too. No other singer gives me the goose bumps Elvis does.
I also share a birthday with him smile

sue01 Sun 31-Jul-16 16:41:43

Grannyknot, my favourite is American Trilogy too.

Elvis and PJ Proby were big friends and the PJ Proby version of AT always makes me cry, every single time I hear it.

Apparently Elvis told PJ that he thought PJ sang the song better than he did .... would love to know what you think !

Last time I heard PJ sing AT live, it was in a Working Men's Club in Nottinghamshire, where he was raising money for Labradors... and he sang it, sitting on the edge of the stage, with dogs lounging all over him.

Wonderful stuff !

Nohogran Sun 31-Jul-16 16:45:54

My favourite is You saw me crying in the chapel. My husband-to-be played it on the jukebox when he proposed to me. Wonderful memories.

soop Sun 31-Jul-16 17:00:22

mintsmum I would also settle for an Elvis song.

icanhandthemback Sun 31-Jul-16 17:55:24

I loved Elvis when I was younger but hadn't listened to him for a fair few years until we were lucky enough to visit Gracelands. It was a real eye opening tour as to who the man really was and listening to his music as we looked at everything reminded me how beautiful his voice actually was. I just loved American Trilogy, it was so powerful and somehow shows how, despite all his riches and fame, he was just a religious, patriotic country boy at heart.

Blinko Sun 31-Jul-16 18:28:43

Cant Help Falling In Love....no one quite like the King for me.

numberplease Sun 31-Jul-16 19:07:23

I always wanted a copy of the full American Trilogy, it was an LP in a black sleeve, it was quite long, apparently, but I couldn`t afford it.
He looked at his most sexy ever in the comeback concert in 1968, when he wore all black leather, and sang and played sitting on a stool on a little podium, with a few fans sitting around him. That was a wonderful show.

jeanblew Sun 31-Jul-16 19:51:39

Elvis was my first true love when I was about 14. When I see the old films my heart still misses a beat as I thought he was gorgeous at the time.

hazeljoy Sun 31-Jul-16 20:30:59

Loved him. The first record I ever bought was Are You Lonesome Tonight. I also have a recording of him singing it when he starts laughing and it is one of the funniest things I have ever heard.

NotTooOld Sun 31-Jul-16 21:11:20

I love Elvis now although when I was young I much preferred Cliff. Favourite Elvis songs? Suspicious Minds and Always on my Mind. He is definitely still the King, so good looking when he was young and the voice......well. Fantastic.

Grannyknot Sun 31-Jul-16 21:54:10

sue I shall check it out, I don't really know PJ Proby's music at all.

Bluecat Sun 31-Jul-16 21:55:57

I love Elvis and always have, ever since I was a very little girl. His music and films are a big part of my childhood memories.

He died when I was expecting my first baby and I remember watching his funeral on our second hand telly, which stood on top of the fridge in the dining room (our kitchen being too small to accommodate a fridge.) I'd always wanted to see him on stage, so that was another dream thwarted!

Such a magnificent voice and such a lovely, lovely face...

Solitaire Sun 31-Jul-16 22:02:18

I LOVE Elvis and one ambition was to go to Graceland. I went with my sister who lived in Tennessee at the time and she didn't like Elvis at all. However, when we left Graceland she had changed her mind and almost became a fan!
My favourite is 'How great thou art' it makes me so emotional when EP hits those high notes. ELVIS LIVES!!!

Lilypops Sun 31-Jul-16 23:05:41

I have loved Elvis since I was 12, my first record I bought was Jailhouse Rock, I am now nearly 70 and my DH still love to jive to it.
I got Elvis sings with the Royal Philharmonic orchestra,and his voice just stand out, my favourite on this cd is The Wind don't pay no mind , a wonderful , haunting gospel song , Elvis could go from rock to gospel , an amazing talent, I Love Elvis ,

Grannyknot Mon 01-Aug-16 07:53:16

Lily what a happy image that conjures up, you and your DH jiving to Jailhouse Rock.

I'm off now to see if I can find "The Wind Dont Pay No Mind" to listen to.

sue01 Mon 01-Aug-16 10:23:13

Morning Grannyknot. Back in the 60s I was a huge PJ Proby fan - well, still am if the truth be told.

PJ is best know over here for an unfortunate incident when he split his velvet trousers whilst preforming, and incurred the wrath of the indomitable Mary Whitehouse.

I read an article by Col Parker who managed Elvis, who said that by the time he heard PJ sing, he had already signed Elvis... and the two were so similar in appeal... good looking Southern boys with unbelievable voices... that he couldn't sign PJ as well. But from then on, whenever Col Parker thought a song might be suitable for Elvis, he would often have PJ try it out first.

PJ Proby, real name Jim Smith, has had a very different life from Elvis...but despite all the trials and tribulations he's been through, his voice is still utterly amazing. In fact I would say it's possibly better than ever. Even if he is singing to Labradors in Working Men's Clubs !

As well as American Trilogy, see if you can find Somewhere... that's fabulous too.

Cherrytree59 Mon 01-Aug-16 14:48:45

Well I have really enjoyed reading your posts, all those lovely memories.

And so spurred on by PJ Proby fans and DH saying that he saw him in Bournmouth and that he split his trousers ( PJ that is not DH).

I've had a listen to some of his music.
Very Enjoyable.
But as me old Dad would have said...
He wouldn't make a patch on Elvis troosers (trousers)

So (for me).
Elvis Still king!

soop Mon 01-Aug-16 16:31:47

There will never be anyone quite like Elvis.

Gagagran Mon 01-Aug-16 16:43:48

Hear! Hear! soop. Still love his velvet voice and always think he's singing just to me!

gettingonabit Mon 01-Aug-16 16:51:44

I like his voice, don't mind his records, but for some reason I can't stand the look of him. Weird.

Marmark1 Tue 02-Aug-16 08:43:30

No,Soop,like Sinatra and a few others a true entertainer.