Gransnet forums

Chat

Why is my bottom wet?

(40 Posts)
phoenix Wed 24-Aug-16 21:11:24

And it drips!

I have Stella Artois beer glass (can't stand the actual beer, tastes like someone has infused a lager with tin foil, but each to their own) but I love the glass.

It is like a large goblet, with a short stem and broadish base. The shape of it means that it stands a better chance of remaining upright if it is on the coffee table as Oliver Sprout sashays past in tail swishing mode, he's an odd cat, he swishes when he's happy, and he is generally a pretty happy chap!

Sometimes I have lemonade in it, or ginger beer, sometimes shandy or perhaps a dry cider. It holds a pint, so a tad on the large side for wine grin

All of the drinks that I put in it are fridge cold. So, I might be sitting at the table, reading the paper, perhaps tackling the crossword, enjoying a glass of something after a day in the office. I reach across, pick up my glass and then it happens! Drips all over the table/newspaper/my other arm. Not a major thing, but annoying, especially if the drips land on the crossword (plays havoc with my pen) angry

So the question is"why?" It doesn't seem to happen with other glasses, even wine glasses (which of course also have stems)

And before anyone suggests it, NO, I am not dribbling!

Swanny Wed 31-Aug-16 08:35:46

merlotgran grin

merlotgran Tue 30-Aug-16 19:33:45

I was thinking about your wet bottom on Sunday, phoenix.

We had lunch in a pub which still has scrubbed top tables with beer mats shoved under the legs to stop them wobbling.

There was so much condensation running down the outside of my glass of ice cold lager shandy (I'm always the driver sad) that I tried to nick a couple of napkins from the empty table next to us. I accidently kicked the table leg, dislodging the beer mat so ended up with a WET LAP!

phoenix Tue 30-Aug-16 19:02:03

Sorted! Well, sort of blush I have just had a glass of Cava, served in the "right" glass, (as Mr P would say, "standards, darling, standards)

Guess what! Not a dribble or a wet bottom! grin

So, obviously the solution is that in future I only drink fizz, and (naturally) from the "right" glass!

However there is a slight problem, in that I can't afford it sad

Jalima Fri 26-Aug-16 15:42:55

When water vapor in the air comes into contact with something cool, such as the outside of a cold glass of lemonade, its molecules slow down and get closer together. When that happens, the gaseous water vapor turns back into liquid water droplets. That's condensation!

Jalima Fri 26-Aug-16 15:41:36

Heat would cause the water vapour to start evaporating again, although any condensation on the outside of the glass could be displaced when it is held, join together and start running down the stem.

downtoearth Fri 26-Aug-16 15:34:07

Could it be the heat of your hands holding glass to be causing condensation ?

shysal Fri 26-Aug-16 11:06:19

I agree that the solution is to store the glass in the fridge so that it is the same temperature as the drink. Isn't it odd that we like certain drinks in their own special glasses/cups? They don't taste right otherwise.

JackyB Thu 25-Aug-16 12:39:37

Have you tried putting the glass in the fridge for a while before pouring the drink in?

Failing that - beer mats are exactly right for the job they're supposed to do - being a bit absorbant and just the right size to put a glass/mug/tankard/goblet on. You could start a beer mat collection - there are some great ones about. Let me know - I'll send you some German ones.

Jalima Thu 25-Aug-16 11:22:41

Oh, confusing!
I wonder how many people have been criticised on GN for taking the advice of the Daily Mail when they meant their Darling Mothers
shock

merlotgran Thu 25-Aug-16 10:58:50

Cripes! Jalima. For a moment there I thought you were blaming the Daily Mail. grin

Jalima Thu 25-Aug-16 10:32:55

I have 'Turning on the Tap Syndrome' for which I blame DM!
Her tip for potty training was to sit child on potty near a sink and turn on the tap; the noise of trickling water had the desired effect

Jalima Thu 25-Aug-16 10:29:24

I think that your village shop is having the last laugh.
They were obviously giving away joke glasses with a tiny hole in them , designed to let out drips of water and make it look as though you have wet yourself grin

tiredoldwoman Thu 25-Aug-16 06:25:14

Remember Ice Cold in Alex ? That dribble sold lots of beer !

merlotgran Thu 25-Aug-16 00:07:20

My mother suffered from 'urge incontinence' Her doctor called it, 'Keyhole Syndrome' meaning that when you return home from shopping, as soon as you get your key in the door you desperately need the loo.

My mother misheard him though and from then on it was known as, 'Peehole Syndrome'

phoenix Wed 24-Aug-16 23:54:51

Oh katek I am a martyr to the damp gusset on frequent occasions, but would never be heard to utter the words "there goes my sensitive bladder" ! Much more likely to say nothing, and just hope that no one has noticed (thank heavens that it hasn't reached the stage of trickling, we used to tease my mother that her favourite sheepskin footwear was actually incontinence slippers, with the woolly top specifically designed to absorb leakage).

At a push, depending on who's around, I might mumble something like "oh sod it!" and them stomp off upstairs, leaving them to draw their own conclusions!

Katek Wed 24-Aug-16 23:20:22

Thank goodness it's your glass.....for one awful minute I thought it was an incident of the " I laugh, I sneeze, there goes my sensitive bladder" variety!

merlotgran Wed 24-Aug-16 23:01:29

Your village shop gives something away?

Ours is so keen to rip you off you have to check your change. And I'm not joking.

phoenix Wed 24-Aug-16 22:32:29

How very dare you! I am an upstanding citizen who leaves notes on cars when I have gently grazed them, even though they were parked at a silly angle blush confused I did not nick it, they were being given away free in the village shop as part of some promotion or other.

It is currently sitting on sheet of kitchen roll, but still leaves drips when I pick it up to drink from. Mr P has the same liquid, at the same temperature, but in a wine glass, no drips.

phoenix Wed 24-Aug-16 22:13:31

Very slightly Ana but no more than a wine glass would be when containing fridge cold wine!

The dripping seems a bit excessive for the amount of moisture on the outside of the glass.

In the grand scale of things, it is a less than minor problem, the world hasn't even had the slightest wobble on its axis, but it is irritating and can be a tad alarming if one gets a cold drip on the ankle at a tense moment during a film or TV drama!

I might try to persuade a cat to sit on my lap to act as drip collector!

Jalima Wed 24-Aug-16 22:13:09

The water is a result of water vapour hitting a cold surface causing condensation, not from the liquid in the glass itself.

Jalima Wed 24-Aug-16 22:10:50

Is the stem hollow and has it got a tiny crack or pinprick hole in the bottom of the glass inside?

Ana Wed 24-Aug-16 22:10:31

Just stand it on a couple of sheets of kitchen roll next time, then at least it won't drip on you!

merlotgran Wed 24-Aug-16 22:10:25

Definitely condensation. DH reckons the glass is designed to allow condensation from a very cold liquid to run down the side.

It's a marketing thing to make the drink look more appetising. (To men, I presume)

Did you nick it from a pub? grin

Jalima Wed 24-Aug-16 22:08:38

I'm glad you said glass half full phoenix not half empty. grin

Water vapour in the atmosphere condensing on the outside of the glass as the contents are cold?

Nelliemoser Wed 24-Aug-16 22:07:33

The shape of the glass might just funnel where the condensation on the outside of that particular glass might run to.