Gransnet forums

Chat

Why is my bottom wet?

(39 Posts)
phoenix Wed 24-Aug-16 21:11:24

And it drips!

I have Stella Artois beer glass (can't stand the actual beer, tastes like someone has infused a lager with tin foil, but each to their own) but I love the glass.

It is like a large goblet, with a short stem and broadish base. The shape of it means that it stands a better chance of remaining upright if it is on the coffee table as Oliver Sprout sashays past in tail swishing mode, he's an odd cat, he swishes when he's happy, and he is generally a pretty happy chap!

Sometimes I have lemonade in it, or ginger beer, sometimes shandy or perhaps a dry cider. It holds a pint, so a tad on the large side for wine grin

All of the drinks that I put in it are fridge cold. So, I might be sitting at the table, reading the paper, perhaps tackling the crossword, enjoying a glass of something after a day in the office. I reach across, pick up my glass and then it happens! Drips all over the table/newspaper/my other arm. Not a major thing, but annoying, especially if the drips land on the crossword (plays havoc with my pen) angry

So the question is"why?" It doesn't seem to happen with other glasses, even wine glasses (which of course also have stems)

And before anyone suggests it, NO, I am not dribbling!

Cherrytree59 Wed 24-Aug-16 21:15:45

Condensation on your bottom?
If you got big bottom then more condensation !

Ana Wed 24-Aug-16 21:18:56

Yes, I'd say condensation.

Ana Wed 24-Aug-16 21:21:26

Unless the glass has a hairline crack. Do the drips taste of water, or whatever you're drinking?

phoenix Wed 24-Aug-16 21:26:42

No cracks, I suppose it must be condensation, but why doesn't it happen with a wine glass?confused

Ana Wed 24-Aug-16 21:28:45

Surface area? (I'm not sure about that, just a guess!)

Ana Wed 24-Aug-16 21:31:24

Actually, you'd think the glass would feel wet if it was condensation...confused

Galen Wed 24-Aug-16 21:33:14

Probably volume.

thatbags Wed 24-Aug-16 21:37:55

Wine glasses have stems and glass isn't a good conductor so the bottom of the glass isn't affected by the condensation further up. In a lager glass any condensation that occurs low down the glass doesn't have far to go to drip off the bottom. That's my guess anyway.

Crafting Wed 24-Aug-16 21:37:57

Aah phoenix you and your nether regions. First we had the difficulty pooing blush now we have the wet bottom ??! Have you thought perhaps of a nappy to catch the dribbles in or drying your bottom with a hairdryer (recommended by a gynaecologist chum). Stuffing some wads of tissue in your knickers might be the answer. If all else fails... have a mug of coffee instead grin

thatbags Wed 24-Aug-16 21:39:38

Oops! Just read your OP properly, phoenix. Scrub my previous post. Must be nearly my bedtime.

Swanny Wed 24-Aug-16 21:40:00

Crafting grin

phoenix Wed 24-Aug-16 21:46:42

Crafting shock I hardly see how that might help with my libations!

Galen I have experimented with various filling levels in the glass, but even with only my glass half full, I still have drip problems! Currently on my leg, as I'm sitting crossed legged on the sofa, my glass is on the coffee table and on the journey between table and mouth it manages to drip partly on the edge of the sofa and partly on my ankles!

Ana Wed 24-Aug-16 22:03:23

And the glass is not wet on the outside? confused Seems very odd...

Nelliemoser Wed 24-Aug-16 22:07:33

The shape of the glass might just funnel where the condensation on the outside of that particular glass might run to.

Jalima Wed 24-Aug-16 22:08:38

I'm glad you said glass half full phoenix not half empty. grin

Water vapour in the atmosphere condensing on the outside of the glass as the contents are cold?

merlotgran Wed 24-Aug-16 22:10:25

Definitely condensation. DH reckons the glass is designed to allow condensation from a very cold liquid to run down the side.

It's a marketing thing to make the drink look more appetising. (To men, I presume)

Did you nick it from a pub? grin

Ana Wed 24-Aug-16 22:10:31

Just stand it on a couple of sheets of kitchen roll next time, then at least it won't drip on you!

Jalima Wed 24-Aug-16 22:10:50

Is the stem hollow and has it got a tiny crack or pinprick hole in the bottom of the glass inside?

Jalima Wed 24-Aug-16 22:13:09

The water is a result of water vapour hitting a cold surface causing condensation, not from the liquid in the glass itself.

phoenix Wed 24-Aug-16 22:13:31

Very slightly Ana but no more than a wine glass would be when containing fridge cold wine!

The dripping seems a bit excessive for the amount of moisture on the outside of the glass.

In the grand scale of things, it is a less than minor problem, the world hasn't even had the slightest wobble on its axis, but it is irritating and can be a tad alarming if one gets a cold drip on the ankle at a tense moment during a film or TV drama!

I might try to persuade a cat to sit on my lap to act as drip collector!

phoenix Wed 24-Aug-16 22:32:29

How very dare you! I am an upstanding citizen who leaves notes on cars when I have gently grazed them, even though they were parked at a silly angle blush confused I did not nick it, they were being given away free in the village shop as part of some promotion or other.

It is currently sitting on sheet of kitchen roll, but still leaves drips when I pick it up to drink from. Mr P has the same liquid, at the same temperature, but in a wine glass, no drips.

merlotgran Wed 24-Aug-16 23:01:29

Your village shop gives something away?

Ours is so keen to rip you off you have to check your change. And I'm not joking.

Katek Wed 24-Aug-16 23:20:22

Thank goodness it's your glass.....for one awful minute I thought it was an incident of the " I laugh, I sneeze, there goes my sensitive bladder" variety!

phoenix Wed 24-Aug-16 23:54:51

Oh katek I am a martyr to the damp gusset on frequent occasions, but would never be heard to utter the words "there goes my sensitive bladder" ! Much more likely to say nothing, and just hope that no one has noticed (thank heavens that it hasn't reached the stage of trickling, we used to tease my mother that her favourite sheepskin footwear was actually incontinence slippers, with the woolly top specifically designed to absorb leakage).

At a push, depending on who's around, I might mumble something like "oh sod it!" and them stomp off upstairs, leaving them to draw their own conclusions!