Gransnet forums

Chat

De cluttering - rule of six

(128 Posts)
DaphneBroon Fri 26-Aug-16 10:34:42

I am useless at decluttering, the very thought of seriously paring back my life, my wardrobe, books, shoes gives me a panic attack so I have started a "little by little" approach.
Yesterday I binned 6 items I no longer use from my make up bag, "unfriended" 6 people I never see/talk to on FB, and put 6 books into a bag for the charity shop. Today I will do 6 pairs of shoes, 6 tops/tee shirts and maybe 6 items from the dreaded kitchen drawer will bite the dust.
Feeble, but it is a start.
Why 6? Just seemed a good number, more than 5 but very doable.

carerof123 Tue 30-Aug-16 18:43:49

I have been reading these posts with interest and have admired some of the ideas, especially the one from Cornergran with the jewellery in a frame- what a brilliant idea. I too need to de-clutter especially my two wardrobes. I have things i know i am never going to wear again but find it hard to get rid of them. I have thought about cutting suitable items into squares and making a 'memory cushion cover' so that even if i dont have the article i will have the memory of it on a cushion.

GrandmaMoira Wed 31-Aug-16 16:57:33

I started de-cluttering when I retired 3 years ago but though I've got rid of loads of stuff, there's still loads more and it's never-ending. I admit to buying more new stuff than I need, but my 2 hoarder sons living at home are my biggest problem. I really don't want a thousand or more old vinyl albums in my house and they can't go in the loft or cellar as the men say the cold/heat/damp will spoil them. Some went in the bin when they weren't looking but I can't do that any more. I made a start on photos but they were taken out of the bin. It seems to be more common that men are hoarders rather than women.