Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop's Friendly Kitcheners and well behaved pets.

(1001 Posts)
soop Sun 25-Sep-16 13:59:32

Well...Here we are again, happy as can be, all good friends and jolly good company. grin I've been caught on the hop. Come on in and make yourselves at home. flowers wine cupcake and (((hugs)))

soop Sun 23-Oct-16 12:12:52

Aww! Little boy is a charmer, DaphneB

I can see that you lot have been busy as ever. I haven't time to catch up right now, as we're going to be treated to a piano recital at Crear on the Knapdale peninsula. The pianist is a favourite of ours - Steven Osborne. We're to be collected in an hour. It's a fairly lengthy drive to the venue. I'm still in my scruffy togs. Must hasten away to smarten myself up.

There will be a new kitchen opening (possibly later today) I shall be back in time to read all your messages and open the door to welcome you (and pampered pets) in for a celebration wine cupcake smile

kittylester Sun 23-Oct-16 14:02:40

Hi all! Enjoy the recital soop.

What a cutie Daphne, but that was rather a silly question to ask, wasn't it? grin

Ann, can you give your DH something useful to do rather than mithering you. I have heard of people giving the person living with dementia some thing like sorting the photos or counting money. One woman saved all her copper and gave it to her husband each afternoon to count 'for the office'. He had been an accountant so could see the logic of such an activity.

You must really need some 'head' space with all the other things going on in your life. Can you send your DH to a day centre? I understand that he might be reluctant for the first few times but could come to enjoy it and you would get some peace.

I'm sorry everyone but I have 4 granddaughters to marry off so I bags Torben, Prince George and any other eligible under 10 year olds males. And Princess Charlotte for Bertie - thank you!! Can anyone think of someone eligible for Seb, who is nearly 10?grin

Charley you have my greatest sympathy! We have spent the last week trying to sort out how to work the beeping new, very expensive, soundbar. You maybe heard DH swearing!! You won't have heard the soundbar, as it rarely works. It does sometimes, of course, just to lull you into thinking you've got it sussed. Then it stops. angry

Must go and start slow roasting some belly pork but I hope to be there for the opening of the new kitchen. wine

Lona Sun 23-Oct-16 15:01:29

Charleygirl I bought a new smart TV for my flat, but it won't stay connected to the broadband which is a bit 'flickery'! I just know that John Lewis will blame the broadband and BT will blame the tv!

Jalima Sun 23-Oct-16 15:09:43

DaphneBroon He is so cute!!
Lots of Vitamin C and zinc, plus some Vitamin D are what the doctor orders!! and hope it doesn't develop into anything.

Your recommendation to annsixty about a dog to take for a walk reminded me of a neighbour of ours in Devon many years ago. He used to take the dog out for a walk quite often after he retired, telling his wife he was just off to the Post Office.
It was quite some time (a couple of years I think) before she came in to me and said 'I always wondered why N needed to go to the Post Office so often - there's a pub in the High Street called The Post Office!'
(she was rather naive - obviously never smelt the alcohol on his breath when he came home again!)

Charleygirl Sun 23-Oct-16 15:16:15

It is a pain- I am unsure how much more money to throw at it-soon the extras will be costing as much as the TV. I do not think that there is space for an indoor TV and a few years ago I paid an aerial man to sort out my old slim TV which died a few months ago.

I am veering towards the wifi booster from John Lewis and the aerial man who will sort out the booster for me also. Soon I will be needing a darkened room. I agree that JL will blame Plusnet etc. Lona why did I bother?

All those lovely boys- I am in line for a toy boy- Flynn is on my list.

Wobblybits Sun 23-Oct-16 15:33:26

Our smart TV works fine, but it is hard wired into the router rather than wi-fi. My laptop quite often drops out from the wi-fi connection, whereas the TV has no problems. You may find it quite easy to run a CAT5 internet cable from TV to router. The cables are available ready made on eBay in a variety on lengths up to 100 meters. Just look for a CAT 5 internet cable.

Charleygirl Sun 23-Oct-16 15:39:44

Wobblybits the problem I have is that my router is downstairs and my new TV was bought for my bedroom so it is too far to have any more wires or cables etc. travel.

DaphneBroon Sun 23-Oct-16 15:47:22

I am totally confusticated and discombobulated by all the techy speak to do with TVs. About 5 maybe more years ago we got a flat screen TV which would get Freeview and somehow I was conned into getting a new aerial (not sure it was necessary, but our reception was dreadful)
Anyway the 2 chaps who came to do it also did all the things the telly needed to be set up and announced gravely that they thought John Lewis had sold me the proverbial pup. I was on the point of ringing the store to complain when I asked them Why?
I was told that with only 4 thingies round the back (can't remember the word) I wouldn't be able to get much "kit" on the set, e.g. Games consoles, Wii, etc
Drawing myself up to my full 5'2" I found myself sounding like Margo Leadbetter or Audrey fforbes-Hamilton asking the chap "Do I look like a kit sort of person? I want to watch TV, the occasional DVD even a video "
They smirked and shook their heads at the sad old dear blush
That is all I know about TVs and all I want to know.

Wobblybits Sun 23-Oct-16 15:55:24

You can get internet extenders that use your mains electric circuit. One unit plugs into a socket near your router and the other into a socket near your TV. The router and your TV are connected to the devices with a short internet cable. More reliable that wi-fi.

Something like these (look for ones that have the pass through option so that you don't lose a socket) I have the BT ones and they work fine.

jollyg Sun 23-Oct-16 15:56:10

Maybe I am misinformed, by the brain.

I thought you could now plug a router into your 13 amp plug, as a booster.
perhaps Pomps could confirm.

Wobblybits Sun 23-Oct-16 15:59:24

LOL crossed thread. Yes you can. Either hard wired, as I suggested, or a wi-fi exntender, or for a price, both. For a TV I prefer the hard wired option.

Jalima Sun 23-Oct-16 16:02:33

My only comment would be
'la la la la la'

Sorry, Charleygirl, that is not in the least bit helpful but anything to do with wires, tvs, computers etc kind of skims the top of my head
Just ask Wb who tried to help me the other day grin

Jalima Sun 23-Oct-16 16:03:28

Perhaps it means I am not hard-wired correctly

Wobblybits Sun 23-Oct-16 16:19:01

Here is a simple diagram of the system. Where it says game console, it would be your Smart TV.

Charleygirl Sun 23-Oct-16 17:27:23

Wobbly apart from the wifi not working, I have poor signal from my aerial hence I only get BBC1 upstairs instead of the minimum of Freeview. This is all beyond me as you have probably gathered, if i called in an aerial man and I bought a wifi booster do you think that he would sort out everything? Ii have given up recording using my Humax- that is what the John Lewis man used to get anything.

Apologies to all, but reading this is enough to induce a long snooze.

Wobblybits Sun 23-Oct-16 18:05:09

CG, you do need a decent aerial to get freeview, I doubt an indoor aerial would be adequate. You need an outdoor or loft aerial (loft aerial only if you are in a good signal area. Your local aerial installer should be able to advise you. It depends on the type of property you live in. I would not use wi-fi unless you have no option, I would use the Powerline extender I mentioned earlier which gives you a hard wired connection to the internet.

Charleygirl Sun 23-Oct-16 18:11:46

Thanks Wobbly would the aerial man sort out the equipment needed? Would he supply the power line extender?

I live at the bottom of a famous hill and have spent years sorting out my downstairs TV signals.

Wobblybits Sun 23-Oct-16 18:20:27

Possibly, just ask them before you commit to ordering. I have Pm'd you.

The BT powerline extenders are very easy to install. You plug them both in and press a button on them, they then find each other, job done.

soop Sun 23-Oct-16 18:31:17

The recital was a great treat and very well attended. Steven Osborne is a favourite of MacS's* The programme was, in the main, Debussy. A young couple from Salt Lake City were married at Crear yesterday. The views from floor to ceiling windows is spectacular. Sunshine and sea and the Hebridean islands as a backdrop.

We have just this minute said goodnight to our friends. Rory is miffed. Bracken is being patient. She's such a good girl.

soop Sun 23-Oct-16 18:32:36

NanaandGrampy the craftwork is interesting and imaginative. I wish that I had your skill.

soop Sun 23-Oct-16 18:33:59

I haven't yet had time to catch up. Today has sped by and I feel bad about not knowing what's going on with you lot...

soop Sun 23-Oct-16 18:34:59

Right! three more messages and I can safely open the new kitchen.

soop Sun 23-Oct-16 18:36:07

Plumping the cushions. Lighting the fire. Are you lot prepared?

soop Sun 23-Oct-16 18:37:38

This is it. Our present kitchen is closing. Before I buzz off and do my housewifely duties I need to open the new kitchen door and invite you in...

soop Sun 23-Oct-16 18:38:09

Ready Steady Go...

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion