Gransnet forums

Chat

Baby Carriers

(42 Posts)
Shanma Thu 29-Sep-16 16:19:16

Is it just me or does anyone else shudder when they see a Baby being carried in a sling affair? The Baby is either hanging in front of the Parent, or at the back. I don't know which is worse. I see them and am worried to death that the Parent will fall, thus the baby will either be bashed on it's face, or the back of it's head.

NanSue Fri 30-Sep-16 19:10:08

I didn't worry about the DGC whilst in a carrier, however both my DS and DSil often put their young daughters up on to their shoulders when they tire of walking. For me this is truly terrifying and I'm always worrying about it. If one of them were to trip, the consequences of that don't bear thinking about!

SueDonim Fri 30-Sep-16 19:20:30

Tiny babies don't feel the need to stretch out, they like to feel secure. Some babies prefer to be swaddled, as well.

Keeping your baby by you is instinctive for many parents. Both my sons carried their babies in carriers. It's very handy when you're out and about, not having to use lifts and so on.

Falconbird Fri 30-Sep-16 20:06:29

NanSue - I totally agree about the dangers of carrying children on shoulders. It's a heck of a long way to fall if the parent trips

Children should be carried in their parents arms, I carried mine on my hip, and when they're older they can have piggy backs.

Nelliemoser Fri 30-Sep-16 20:15:14

I know Sheffield has a "baby sling" users group where you can try various styles to see what suits you and your baby.

www.sheffieldslingsurgery.co.uk
I don't know if they have them elsewhere.

trisher Fri 30-Sep-16 20:32:55

I used one in the 70s DIL used one for both GCs. I think they are great!

rosesarered Fri 30-Sep-16 20:42:54

Have never thought about this (potential) problem, but have never used a baby sling, and my children haven't, with their own children.I wouldn't have wanted too, as I have always had a dodgy back, and enjoyed pushing them in the pram/ buggy.What always does worry me ( only when I see it) is very young children being towed along by Mum or Dad in a kind of box contraption at the back of their cycle.

NanSue Fri 30-Sep-16 21:14:52

Falconbird My son'sDD is actually getting a little too big for it now but the other Dgd is only just 3 and my son in law does his own thing regardless but I have to admit it's becoming a bit of an obsession of mine!sad

Thingmajig Fri 30-Sep-16 22:04:41

DD is expecting her second sproglet and plans to use a sling with it. Much research is being done apparently!
Unless she has another wee preemie who stays light and slight like DGD I don't see her lasting long. Must be agony lugging around a big baby/toddler! grin

Falconbird Sat 01-Oct-16 06:44:26

I only used a baby sling for the first four months as far as I can remember. They aren't mean for older babies or toddlers because the child would be much too heavy.

I worry about children being carried on their parents' shoulders, mostly dads, not just because of the risk of the parent tripping but also because of the damage done to the parents neck and shoulder muscles.

1974cookie Sat 01-Oct-16 17:58:46

I agree with swanny and shanny.
I find it so scary to see Mums with pushchairs etc not looking when crossing the roads, especially as so many of them are glued to their mobile phones these days.
How these women can put their precious little bundles at so much risk because of a text, I will never, ever, know.?

TriciaF Sun 02-Oct-16 10:20:45

I read this article in a journal yesterday:
www.kansascity.com/living/health-fitness/article96424017.html
Quite worrying, but parents have got to use something.

trisher Sun 02-Oct-16 12:02:21

Do the people who worry about babies in slings worry about every child they see being carried by someone? At least with a sling your hands are free to hold/grab something. Slip with a baby in your arms and there's nothing you can do.

BlueBelle Sun 02-Oct-16 12:06:39

No never worry about that at all I used one in the 60's/early 70's and most of my grandkids have had periods in slings or back carriers when they got bigger
Accidents can happen with any form of carrying, ever felt your foot go as you come down the stairs carrying the babe My son although strapped in managed to get out of the straps stand up and fall out of his pram while I was busy sorting my toddler out in the play park
I would actually think they are one of the safest forms of travel and lovely for young babies to feel cosy What I do hate are those new stlye buggies with one child practically enclosed behind the other with nothing to look out at but the back of the front chair they are hideous

Granby Sun 02-Oct-16 17:43:17

I used a sling a lot for my own children, back in the 80s. Now, I am using one to carry my 8 month old grandson in! I absolutely love the feeling of closeness we get from it. He sleeps more soundly in the sling that anywhere else. My son and daughter-in-la also use a sling for him. It's a bit tough on my 62 year old back sometimes, but it's more than worth it for the feeling of closeness I feel with my beloved grandbaby!

Jalima Tue 04-Oct-16 20:22:58

I mentioned car seats in an earlier post because a friend was warned against leaving a newborn in one for long if they are sleeping.
A report has just come out today in the Bristol Post, and here is the NHS report on it too:

www.nhs.uk/news/2016/10October/Pages/Warning-over-babies-sleeping-in-car-seats.aspx
www.bristolpost.co.uk/never-leave-a-baby-in-a-car-seat-for-long-periods-shocking-new-study-reveals-serious-dangers/story-29773873-detail/story.html

I worry that babies in slings may be in the same position with their heads more forward on to their chests, combined with a lack of fresh air.

Jalima Tue 04-Oct-16 20:26:25

www.slingbabies.co.nz/Site/Positioning_2.ashx

I suppose those who think they are wonderful will carry on using them, those who are wary will not.

I know women have used them in traditional cultures but we have no statistics from those days on how safe they were.