Gransnet forums

Chat

Procrastination

(70 Posts)
NanKate Sat 28-Nov-15 16:53:13

I always thought I was a decisive, get on with things, sort of person but lately I have to push myself to do paperwork that is mounting up. I need to sort out the Christmas card labels, it might only take me 10 minutes but I have been thinking about it for a week.

I am the first to agree to go out for coffee, the cinema or shopping, so I am not depressed just plain bl**dy lazy. grin

Anyone else have my problem ?

Charleygirl Sat 28-Nov-15 17:02:44

Nankate I am in exactly the same boat as yourself. I need desperately to sort out the paperwork lying around but if somebody invited me out now I would be up and out like a shot.

ninathenana Sat 28-Nov-15 17:05:47

gringrin in bucket loads !

DH is exact opposite, if I say "When you get chance can you....." He's off and at it if he's not in the middle of something else.

tinaf1 Sat 28-Nov-15 17:12:48

Exactly the same I am sitting here scrolling thru forums with a ding table littered with paperwork that needs to be done since retiring I have found because I have all day to do something it takes me all day to do it!

tinaf1 Sat 28-Nov-15 17:13:32

Ding table? Dining room table!

grannylyn65 Sat 28-Nov-15 17:30:27

Rather like the Ding Table?

Coolgran65 Sat 28-Nov-15 17:54:22

I want a Ding table..... !!

rosequartz Sat 28-Nov-15 17:58:12

When I was working and very busy with family I did get a lot done in a precious spare hour.

Now I have all day (some days!) I never get things done!

rosequartz Sat 28-Nov-15 17:58:59

I do think about what needs doing though

tinaf1 Sat 28-Nov-15 18:24:09

You can both share my ding table as long as you take the paperwork and sort it

granjura Sat 28-Nov-15 18:40:10

NanKate - same here. I have a pile of organisation and bib businesses I have to contact for the second phase of fundraising for our new Museum- and every morning, I find any job or other something to do and just can't get down to startin. Will have to- can't let the side down .... next week.

rosesarered Sat 28-Nov-15 18:46:10

One of my late Mother's sayings ' procrastination is the thief of time' she really had a saying for every situation.smile

rosesarered Sat 28-Nov-15 18:47:40

And yes, I do it too! Much more now ( when I have more time to spare) than I ever did.

Wheniwasyourage Sat 28-Nov-15 18:55:15

I'll put something on this thread, but i can't be bothered just now. Maybe tomorrow... grin

Wheniwasyourage Sat 28-Nov-15 18:56:31

Aaarhgh! Might even find the shift key tomorrow, as it's gone missing today. Perhaps it's on the ding table.

MamaCaz Sat 28-Nov-15 19:05:22

I wonder if this is the same thing that I suffered from as a (mature) student - even though I enjoyed my course and got good marks, when an essay had to be written, suddenly anything seemed better than putting bum on seat and getting on with it. Those where the times when the oven got cleaned, the toilet unblocked etc. Anything seemed preferable to what I really needed to be doing!!!

Actually, I get the same thing every year when I have to search for cheaper car insurance, breakdown cover, electricity and so on. I get an awful feeling of dread and even though I can't put them out of my head, I put off doing any of these things until I absolutely have to.

NanKate Sat 28-Nov-15 19:14:52

Well I am relieved it is not only me. smile

However I can always find time to:-

Check my emails
Look up Gransnet
Read a chapter of my book
Watch an episode or two of my latest must watch series
Have a coffee/tea
Have a chat with a friend

As the day draws to a close I think - well it's too late to do x y or z I will leave it for tomorrow.

Shall we form a Procrastinators Club ?

Wheniwasyourage Sat 28-Nov-15 19:16:54

Good idea. On Monday, or is that too soon?

Bellanonna Sat 28-Nov-15 19:19:33

And I thought it was just me. I addition, I put other things on top of those papers and then get a shock when I realise I haven't done something that needed doing. I hate paperwork and use any excuse not to do it. Yes, meeting friends, no problem. Getting onto gransnet on the iPad, making a phone call to daughters, watching telly, picking up a newspaper. All good. But I do really worry about those things that need doing. Sometimes I feel I'd like a secretary to do it for me. Glad I'm not alone.

NanKate Sat 28-Nov-15 20:14:29

Shall we say a week on Monday WhenIwas just to give me a bit of wiggle room.

ninathenana Sat 28-Nov-15 20:22:16

I'm washing my hair that day can we make it the Tuesday ?

granjura Sat 28-Nov-15 20:23:30

Might be better to leave it till after Christmas now, as it's all getting a bit manic ... (pheew, so glad it is not just me).

tinaf1 Sat 28-Nov-15 20:24:03

A week on Monday as quick as that !

annsixty Sat 28-Nov-15 20:27:07

At the age most of us are at now what paperwork are we talking about? I just can't imagine. Is my life too simple?

mumofmadboys Sat 28-Nov-15 20:32:34

I need to fill in a tax form on line . It should be quite simple really but I keep putting it off. I have already planned to do it after Xmas in January!