Gransnet forums

Chat

Is it me, or is GN not so much fun as it used to be?

(134 Posts)
phoenix Sun 24-Apr-16 16:06:54

Dons tin helmet !

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 24-Apr-16 16:17:07

i still like it. confused

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 24-Apr-16 16:23:49

We could make it fun......

You first.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 24-Apr-16 16:25:37

Although we'd only get the snotty email from HQ. . Sigh!

Deedaa Sun 24-Apr-16 16:26:03

I think we are sorely in need of phoenix losing her knickers to lighten the atmosphere. Some of the threads do seem to get depressingly heavy and you feel you need a degree in politics or economics to join in.

Alea Sun 24-Apr-16 16:30:18

hmm I tend to agree.
There are a few contentious threads which "get people going" , but too often descend into entrenched attitudes and get heated, rather than friendly discussion. And (sorry, not getting at anyone) a bit of a tendency towards the backward looking reminiscing about playground games/favourite sweets/childhood experiences /long ago recipes etc which are so often the domain of the elderly.
The odd "strange" post which might or might not be genuine provides light relief from the more serious problems, but even these can sometimes leave me wondering whether they are a genuine or sincere request for opinions or just seeking a "Yes, dear" response.
I miss the jokes thread which I think Greatnan started and also her poems too.
And while I appreciate that people may like to know more about other members, I find the "How many/how often" type of thread frankly not my cup of tea.
So, I suppose it is up to us to start threads if what we see at present isn't appealing.

Ana Sun 24-Apr-16 16:38:20

I do so agree about the tediousness of some of the 'how often...?' an 'do you remember...?' etc. threads, Alea, but they seem to get lots of replies so they must be popular!

Cherrytree59 Sun 24-Apr-16 16:47:24

We could do with a bit of a titter on GN
grin and a wink is just what I need at the moment!
Just I wish could think of something amusing !

NotTooOld Sun 24-Apr-16 16:54:05

I blame the weather. We all need some sun and warmth to cheer us up. Even Andrew Marr told the weather to 'man up' this morning. (It didn't work, or not round here anyway).

merlotgran Sun 24-Apr-16 17:06:30

Some of the 'fun' threads used to start off in a serious manner and then degenerate into side splitting hilarity. That doesn't seem to happen now.

Shame.

morethan2 Sun 24-Apr-16 17:10:49

I still have the occasional snigger. But I'm not naming the culprit/s wink

Jalima Sun 24-Apr-16 17:15:12

Even Andrew Marr told the weather to 'man up' this morning
I think the weather should 'woman up'.
It might improve then.

Some of the threads do seem to get depressingly heavy and you feel you need a degree in politics or economics to join in.
And you GET SHOUTED AT If you make a point with which some other posters disagree or which expresses popular opinion which you may have heard which is seemingly not popular on those threads.

Gagagran Sun 24-Apr-16 17:21:07

That's why soop's kitchen is such a refuge for those of us who had a bruising encounter elsewhere on this site! There are some very dominant characters on GN.

I like a bit of peace and love myself. smile

merlotgran Sun 24-Apr-16 17:34:49

I do find that sometimes it's important to stick a grin on the end of a post if it's meant to raise a chuckle.

The last thing you want is somebody taking it apart word by word and then explaining it back to you hmm

merlotgran Sun 24-Apr-16 17:35:26

Although that can be seen as laughing at your own joke which is even worse.

pompa Sun 24-Apr-16 17:39:24

I do agree about the lack of light hearted banter.

"Some of the 'fun' threads used to start off in a serious manner and then degenerate into side splitting hilarity. That doesn't seem to happen now."

Probably because the miscreants (like me ) get battered.

Ana Sun 24-Apr-16 17:41:10

Yes - or people saying 'adding a smiley doesn't make your post less offensive'! hmm

Jane10 Sun 24-Apr-16 17:44:16

Any jokes then anyone?

ffinnochio Sun 24-Apr-16 17:44:42

I feel GN has lost a bit of edge. Less zany and spirited. A bit more pazzazz might not go amiss. Although fairly quiet myself, I've always enjoyed the company of the more spirited and lively posters/posts.

Maybe too much moderation has suppressed lively engagement. ?

Elegran Sun 24-Apr-16 17:51:57

What should you put on the tomb stone of a mathematician?
- - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- -

He didn't count on this . . .

ninathenana Sun 24-Apr-16 17:58:53

Tell us a cat story phoenix grin
I agree with all of the above posts.

Jalima Sun 24-Apr-16 18:05:35

If someone from the 1950s suddenly appeared, what would be the most difficult thing to explain about life today? One answer: “I possess a device in my pocket that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look 
at pictures of cats and get into arguments with strangers.”

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 24-Apr-16 18:09:07

grin That's very good J.

Jalima Sun 24-Apr-16 18:12:14

I thought it was rather apt
and I was going to put a grin after it, but didn't want to be seen laughing at my own jokes (well, one I found amongst the entirety of information known to man grin again)

Tizliz Sun 24-Apr-16 18:21:38

Sorry Alea for starting a how many thread! but it has proved very popular and given me plenty of ammunition next time my OH wonders why I need another pair of shoes.

I try not to take life too seriously and some threads do seem to be "you said and then you said" type thing, I just come out

???????
Don't you just love these on iPads