Gransnet forums

Chat

Generous or greedy

(41 Posts)
Silverlining47 Wed 24-Aug-16 18:49:50

Following on from the thread about about adult children coming to stay on holiday I struggle with what I think of as my generosity or their greediness!
We live in France and are always delighted when any of our 5 children (mixed birth children and step children) come to stay. They are all adult and have partners.
I love to cook for them and evening meals are a lovely time to sit outside in the summer and enjoy having everyone round the table. Because wine is so much cheaper here we always have wine with the meal but it seems quite normal for one of them to jump up and get another bottle from the fridge....and another....and another. Often 3 or 4 bottles are opened with only 4 of us there. At the end of the week 20 bottles may have been consumed which adds up to a lot of money. After we've gone to bed they sometimes help themselves to a malt whisky or two.
I found it odd at first that they helped themselves to anything in the fridge but now can easily make allowances for that and don't want them to keep asking. That would be tedious. But I get annoyed ( to myself) when they eat ALL the ice creams or finish all the cheese. We live in the countryside and have to drive to get replenishments.
I would never behave like that in any of their houses. Am I being mean or are they being greedy?

FarNorth Wed 24-Aug-16 18:54:01

They are reverting to being thoughtless children in their parents' home.

dramatictessa Wed 24-Aug-16 18:55:27

You're not being mean, but I doubt they think they are being greedy, as this sounds like a habit which has never been challenged and has developed over the years. You could talk to them and ask them to contribute, or alternatively just don't have so much available when they come. Take them shopping with you when you re-stock and say you'll pay for half, or just tell them you can't afford to pay for it all. They are just continuing to behave like your children - the fact that they are adults doesn't automatically mean they will always think in an adult fashion!

kittylester Wed 24-Aug-16 18:57:24

Our children and their partners are like that but don't stay as long. I take it as a compliment that they feel comfortable with us. And, it saves us doing it. smile

obieone Wed 24-Aug-16 18:58:16

I might say neither mean or greedy. Agree with FarNorth. When my group come home, I have some rules, such as tell me if you want something from the fridge, in case it is part of the evening meal to come. But on the other hand, they can hekp themselves to what is in the freezer and on the treat shelf etc and treat the house as your home even if you did not live here growing up.

Christinefrance Wed 24-Aug-16 19:06:16

I agree with dramatictessa, they are just thoughtless, used to parents providing for them. Maybe a quiet word about the cost of living and reduced exchange rate etc.

Swanny Wed 24-Aug-16 19:11:21

I would ask them to go shopping as you have a headache, bone in your leg or whatever. Give them a shopping list including a dozen bottles of wine but no money and don't offer any on their return. If they present you with the bill just say you thought they might like to contribute to the group expenses for the stay ...

petra Wed 24-Aug-16 19:30:59

My OH always has a problem talking money, I don't. When we lived abroad and family and friends would visit I would say straight away: ok, this is how it works. Here is the pot, we put in so much money, when that's gone, we put in some more, simples, everyone knows where they stand and no resentment on our part and no wondering on their part, ie, I fancy some more wine.

Jalima Wed 24-Aug-16 19:47:34

FarNorth hits the nail on the head!

TriciaF Wed 24-Aug-16 21:19:28

Yes FarNorth has nailed it!
We live in rural France too, and have seen the same scenario as you,*Siverlining*.We have 4, mixed birth and stepchildren.
We usually have a good store of wine in the barn, and 3 freezers stocked up with food, so they used to think it's all for them. They don't realise we go all the way to Toulouse for our meat and wine, and only stock up twice a year.
After a few hints they now buy their own wine and always make a big contribution to the food. They also do a lot of the cooking now.
We love having them to stay, wish they could come more often.

Silverlining47 Wed 24-Aug-16 22:03:04

Thank you for all your thoughts. They reflect the mixture of feelings I have myself. Some of the boys buy food and wine while they are here and contribute like that. Others still actt like children......and knowingly so I think! They actually enjoy reverting to being children again, regardless of age or income!
All in all, each one is here for quite a short time and we like spoiling them a bit. It's just getting the balance in my mind between 'giving' and 'being taken for granted'. As Kittylester says, it's a compliment that they come and feel at home here. I wouldn't want to spoil that.
If it becomes too expensive to do all the providing I think Petra's idea of a pot is a good one.

Jalima Wed 24-Aug-16 22:21:28

Although I would have thought they would enjoy doing a food shop and finding all the different and interesting foods and drink when they come to stay.
I like doing a few food shops when we go to stay with the DC (but, then again, I am mother grin)

Faye Wed 24-Aug-16 23:56:25

My three children live long distances from each other and we all visit and stay over when possible. We all go out and buy food, wine etc or bring it with us. I visit my children's homes the most and never spend less than I would for my own home. Some of the nicest meals we have are when everyone is together and each family has made something nice to eat to share.

On Christmas Day if any of the family spend it together the adults are all busy, cooking, organising the table, tidying up etc. There is lots of discussion beforehand of what each family is making. It works for us, there is not one person having to cater for everyone else.

It isn't too hard to speak to your children Silverlining and tell them it would be helpful if they can contribute to the food and wine when they visit. Let them know while you love them staying it's hard work and expensive having to supply it all on your own.

kittylester Thu 25-Aug-16 06:50:41

It's the physical help that I welcome more than monetary contributions and that's why the sons in law organise the drinks (DH'S job!!) but dds tend to organise lunch and doing the table etc for dinner.

f77ms Thu 25-Aug-16 07:00:37

We always use `the pot` idea except we call it ` the kitty` . It means everyone can eat/drink what they like without worrying . It sounds as if your hospitality is being taken for granted a little silver .

Mumsy Thu 25-Aug-16 08:07:20

easy solution dont buy so much wine / alchohol and get extra cheese and ice cream when they visit!

From what I read is that your kids are behaving perfectly normal and feel very much at home when visiting you, I dont see them as being mean or greedy.

Anya Thu 25-Aug-16 08:20:02

Send them out with a shopping list and no money.

However, I can just picture you and your family sitting around, enjoying good food that you've cooked, with the wine flowing and everyone together and happy as a family.

Sounds idyllic.

suzied Thu 25-Aug-16 08:25:31

When we go on holiday with family we have the kitty for supermarket trips etc, usually €50 an adult for a week , then we top up if necessary. Think they are just treating your house as "home", which is lovely. I agree you should send them out with a list or invite them to go shopping with you. Don't buy as much in the way of cheese or nibbles, these add up.

FarNorth Thu 25-Aug-16 08:34:17

If it were me, I'd buy what I thought was a reasonable amount to provide for their stay then, if it runs out, say something like "Oh dear, I thought that would be plenty for the week. It's twice what we normally buy."
They might immediately offer to buy more but, if not, too bad.

Elegran Thu 25-Aug-16 09:26:25

Or even "Oh dear! Someone will have to go and do a shop. I did the last one, whose turn is it now?"

greatgranny Thu 25-Aug-16 09:44:42

Silver linings. I'm so lucky. Whenever I have guests or family to stay, they always contribute. Try not to stock so much, maybe keep some wine under your bed? Then when your stock is finished, just say sorry, we're out of wine, or whatever, and let them go shopping. Sometimes people just don't think. Good luck!

DotMH1901 Thu 25-Aug-16 09:51:56

I'd try having enough in for a day or two, then writing a shopping list and asking them to get the shopping in (without offering to pay) as you are too busy to go and do it. Obviously not a huge shop but just to top things back up - and see how that goes. When my son used to come home for weekends between girlfriends (the only time we usually saw him) he would empty the fridge and freezer and store cupboard - making meals late at night after I had gone to bed. My daughter used to joke he was storing up the calories so he didn't have to buy food when he went back to his flat.

moobox Thu 25-Aug-16 09:52:46

You're in France, buy the milk carton type wine when you know they are coming, lol!

TriciaF Thu 25-Aug-16 10:02:19

Good idea moobox. They call it BIB - bag in box, or cubi, and it's a lot cheaper than bottles.

milkflake Thu 25-Aug-16 10:20:51

I would say, don't have so much in the house. Enough for the first couple of days then when they see stocks diminishing they might be a bit more careful. Then just say "oh we have run out of wine and treats, can one of you go for more" Don't give them money to buy it.
When we go to visit my son I always take the soft drinks I like and any other bits and pieces I want. He provides the main food, but I do go out and buy extras and take them out for a few meals.