Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Why I love the 5:2 diet

(225 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 25-Apr-13 07:44:35

Once Victoria Williams tried intermittent fasting she found that - for her at least - it was the perfect way to lose those extra pounds.

In her guest blog post she reveals how and why it works for her.

Does it work for you too? Is it something you're thinking about trying? Here's the place to let us know smile

Joelise Sat 08-Nov-14 21:37:16

I have been on the 5.2 for 18 months, & lost 21lbs. I went on holiday in the summer for 5 weeks & stopped the woe ( way of eating) till I came back. I have decided to do 4.3 One week & 5.2 the next week.I've found all of a sudden my clothes are looser & this week bought trousers & a jacket another size smaller. Amenhotep there is a 5.2 group that you can join through Facebook, it really is helpful.

FlicketyB Sun 09-Nov-14 11:12:34

Exercise is easy for me, I am sound in wind and limb, but is there no exercise that someone with a back problem can do? Is swimming or just messing about in warm water in a pool not possible or specially tailored exercises in a gym?

nana5ue Thu 26-Feb-15 18:42:07

I read the book from cover to cover and was convinced. Did not find 500 calories a problem nor the fasting days, in fact I loved it. Unfortunately it has given me depression, suicidal thoughts and many tears later off I go to the Doctor who tells me to Stop immediately, this diet is VERY bad for you. So just like the Atkins diet which started my depression years ago, this one also does something to my serotonin levels.
Very disappointing as I loved the scheme and was certainly not missing anything on the fasting days.
The prospect of 'just dieting' again is tedious.
Be warned if you are also inclined to depression.

GrannyFlash Sat 18-Apr-15 19:48:12

Been doing this since early Feb 2015. Lost 11lbs and have found it difficult on the fast days, although now - April 18th am starting to find the fast days quite relaxing! I have looked into the science behind this and it does seem valid. Only trouble is I have had a cold or sore throat or other niggles for about 6 weeks now and thinking i might need multi vitamins. Am interested in the psychology behind this way of eating!

mahabub66 Sun 27-Mar-16 10:40:19

Hi there,
I really want to do this diet but feel that I'd need to plan for a 600cal day, mainly by keeping busy or chilling out. Does anyone do it when they're working?

mahabub66 Sun 27-Mar-16 10:41:29

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Nelliemoser Sun 27-Mar-16 15:01:26

After about 2/3 yrs I have learnt to manage the fast days very easily.

I have lost a stone in about three years I was about 9.5stn rather heavy for my lack of height.

I just keep up the fast days if my weight has gone up a bit after Christmas or holidays away. I am around 8.5stone now which suits me better. I find I can resist snacking much better than I used to and you can eat the things you like within the daily calorie allowance.

Parsleywin Sun 27-Mar-16 19:16:54

I've been 5:2ing for almost 2 years. I find it really easy, and only eat a light meal on the evening of my two fasting days. I hate the notion of calorie counting, so this works well for me.

The unexpected bonus is that on non-fasting days I now find that I think twice if tempted to idly, unthinkingly, pop a tasty morsel into my mouth in between meals. I realise I'm checking first if today is a fast day or not - and most of the time I'd just be eating whatever it was out of habit rather than actual hunger. This seems to work as a check against my former natural inclination to 'see food and eat it'!

This way of eating is so flexible and easy that I can't imagine not doing it. Suits me!

BlueBellwoods1122 Wed 06-Jul-16 08:08:22

I started the 5:2 diet in February. I lost a stone in 3 months which is better than losing very quickly. As I work shifts, I found it easy to do on an early, then when I got home I would try to last out till 5pm before eating. I found it better to leave all the calories until evening because once you start with a very small breakfast, you find you are even hungrier by mid morning than you would be if you didn't have it.I have salmon or chicken breast with loads of veg. A cup of oxo is good in the day as you almost think you are having soup!! When you reach your goal,1 day a week should sustain it. Good luck all.!!

BlueBellwoods1122 Wed 06-Jul-16 08:08:22

I started the 5:2 diet in February. I lost a stone in 3 months which is better than losing very quickly. As I work shifts, I found it easy to do on an early, then when I got home I would try to last out till 5pm before eating. I found it better to leave all the calories until evening because once you start with a very small breakfast, you find you are even hungrier by mid morning than you would be if you didn't have it.I have salmon or chicken breast with loads of veg. A cup of oxo is good in the day as you almost think you are having soup!! When you reach your goal,1 day a week should sustain it. Good luck all.!!

BlueBellwoods1122 Wed 06-Jul-16 08:08:23

BlueBellwoods1122 Wed 06-Jul-16 08:08:49

Elegran Wed 06-Jul-16 08:52:50

Wow! Nine posts, that must be nine stone you've lost altogether - you must be vanishing by now!grin

Marmight Wed 06-Jul-16 09:20:11

grin

Janice21 Mon 15-Aug-16 12:36:00

Hello there - I'm going to give this a go - anyone fancy trying it with me? I have a stone and a half to lose - I'd just like to be a size 12 again instead of hovering around a 14 (and a 16 on bad days!) - I'm short so it really doesn't suit me and my doc says my cholesterol is creeping up - so I need to tackle that one too. I'm keeping things simple - fasting 2 days and trying to walk 10,000 steps a day. I'll miss the wine and choc though hmm !!

I'm aiming for 2lbs a week, that doesn't feel impossible - but who knows!! Small steps......??

liamsoren Thu 09-Sep-21 15:16:27

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Shinamae Sun 31-Oct-21 02:25:14

I am going back to the gym on Monday, this time with the help of a personal trainer. I do know that my diet needs to improve and years ago I did do the 5 2 so I’m thinking of doing this again or maybe even the 16 8

crissy Sun 31-Oct-21 12:37:48

I have been doing my version of the 5:2 for nearly a year now. I call it 2 low calorie days. I only needed to loose about 10lb so my weight loss tended to be in ounces rather than pounds. Reached by goal in a few months and have maintained for about 4 months so far by just carrying on cutting back on those 2 days. Fingers crossed it will become my norm.

Allsorts Mon 08-Nov-21 07:32:49

I know a lot like it but not for me. The ideal is just eating healthily, no sugar and moderate fat intake and exercise. That’s what I would like to achieve but unfortunately I’m weak and can’t resist a cake or a pudding so will always have an extra stone.