Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Slim fast

(103 Posts)
Shinamae Thu 29-Jun-23 13:12:37

I’ve just bought six bottles of this going to take 2 to work a day because I do need to shift about stone.
Have any Gransnetters used this and what experience can they share with me please?

Shinamae Thu 29-Jun-23 21:19:01

Apparently not. 😁

Lomo123 Thu 29-Jun-23 21:25:55

Colleague used it. He found it easy to use he said. Weight fell off him!.

Shinamae Thu 29-Jun-23 21:45:05

Well this might be a bit extreme, but on 3 work days. I have decided to have three slim fast shakes plus my 2 Actimel shots in the morning and water as well,those calories will be 764 and that will just be for three days otherwise I will be eating normally.. and they won’t be consecutive days.

CanadianGran Thu 29-Jun-23 21:54:02

I didn't do slimfast, but I used Almased for two weeks and took off the stubborn 5 lbs that I needed to. Basically replacing two meals a day with a drink, then a healthy dinner as normal. It did get boring, but I was strict with myself and it did the job.

It will work, but it's not sustainable weight loss. It's good to give you a head start on a healthier diet, or to get a few stubborn pounds off.

Maggiemaybe Thu 29-Jun-23 22:17:34

One of my DDs and her other half did a Slimfast diet for three weeks before they went on an all inclusive holiday. They lost half a stone each.

I bought a couple of tins on the back of their success story, but lost my enthusiasm when DD told me the pounds went straight back on the moment they ordered their first sangria. grin

I guess it’s back to the 5:2 for me. They taste alright though.

Shinamae Thu 29-Jun-23 22:22:27

Yes, I used to do, fasting i used to do the 16/8 but it’s awkward now because I work 2 pm till 8 pm. I don’t eat in the morning anyway so I thought I’d give this a go I need to lose about a stone..

Shinamae Thu 29-Jun-23 22:23:14

If it works and I lose the stone then I shall probably do this pattern one day a week…

cornergran Fri 30-Jun-23 09:09:19

A friend lost 3 stone using the Slimfast plan. She’s maintaining it by having one shake a day as a meal replacement, eating normally if thoughtfully the rest of the time. It’s working for her. Definitely can’t tempt her to cake or biscuits.

NotAGran55 Fri 30-Jun-23 09:23:07

Ahead of my gall bladder removal I had to live on this for 2 weeks in order to reduce the size of the liver to make it easier for the keyhole surgery. I lost a fair bit of ‘weight’ but suspect the first few lbs were water due to the low carbs.

I used the vanilla powder mixed with instant coffee to make coffee shakes which was fine. I didn’t like the bottled drinks though.

Georgesgran Fri 30-Jun-23 09:27:56

Good luck with it Shina. I really need to shed a few (ha!) pounds, but still debating over which diet to try. Last week, I made an effort - no wine, no biscuits. Weetabix for breakfast, sandwich for lunch, fish and veg for dinner - gained a kilo!! Oh, and I had little dog here and walked miles!
Back to the drawing board.

karmalady Fri 30-Jun-23 09:30:54

I used slim fast biscuits for a while, when I was working and probably 25+ years ago. They served their purpose, I liked them, they stopped me feeling hungry and weight did come off so yes a useful aid as long as you can maintain the loss

Shinamae Fri 30-Jun-23 09:31:07

NotAGran55

Ahead of my gall bladder removal I had to live on this for 2 weeks in order to reduce the size of the liver to make it easier for the keyhole surgery. I lost a fair bit of ‘weight’ but suspect the first few lbs were water due to the low carbs.

I used the vanilla powder mixed with instant coffee to make coffee shakes which was fine. I didn’t like the bottled drinks though.

I tried it a few years ago and didn’t like the powder. I do like the drinks but they are very expensive but if they do the trick will be worth it….😁

Ailidh Fri 30-Jun-23 09:32:34

I did for a while - I'm always halfway on and halfway off a weightloss Grand Plan - and it really helped.
The only thing was all the milk in the powder, and drunk with the powder gave me something of a mild lactose intolerance, which persists on and off.

*Mild lactose intolerance =ed sudden, frantic dashes to the loo.

Shinamae Fri 30-Jun-23 09:41:30

Normal eating today, Sunday, Tuesday and Friday, Slim fast days…🤓

Visgir1 Fri 30-Jun-23 10:06:06

My chum a Hospital Dietician always said.. "Any Diet works, you just have to stick to it".

Shinamae Fri 30-Jun-23 10:53:04

Visgir1

My chum a Hospital Dietician always said.. "Any Diet works, you just have to stick to it".

And this pattern of eating will be achievable for me…🤓

Mollygo Fri 30-Jun-23 11:25:29

NotAGran55 The hospital suggested weight watchers or low calorie soup and plant based yoghurt for two weeks before the gall bladder op. If I never see another Alpro yoghurt again, I’ll be happy.

Theexwife Fri 30-Jun-23 11:27:35

It works in that you are taking in fewer calories so you will lose weight, however, it does not retrain your eating habits so when you stop using it and go back to your usual eating pattern the weight will go back on.

NotAGran55 Fri 30-Jun-23 17:07:34

Mollygo I know what you mean. Two weeks was quite enough. The egg sandwich I had whilst recovering after the procedure was delicious!
I seem to remember that drinking only milk 🥛 was another option too?

Hithere Fri 30-Jun-23 17:19:39

Starving yourself doesn't work and it is not healthy

You stop, add food items to routine diet and the weight comes back

Shinamae Fri 30-Jun-23 21:25:56

Hithere

We’ll see 🤓

Shinamae Fri 30-Jun-23 21:26:49

Hithere

Explain how I am actually starving myself please?

Hithere Sat 01-Jul-23 02:02:43

Slimfast are drinks that work as meal replacements, that's the danger.

Shinamae Sat 01-Jul-23 13:44:47

Hithere

Slimfast are drinks that work as meal replacements, that's the danger.

I really don’t understand What do you mean?
I KNOW it’s meal replacement I don’t know what your point is 🤷‍♀️