Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Increasing protein in my diet.

(71 Posts)
NanKate Sat 19-Aug-23 08:26:32

Just that. Any recommendations please?

Protein bars with reduced sugar content. Do you have a favourite ?

Oopsadaisy1 Sat 19-Aug-23 08:35:13

Personally I wouldnt go down the ‘snack’ route to get more protein, I don’t eat meat, bit I do eat fish, so I get protein that way.
But I boost my protein with nuts and pulses.

Urmstongran Sat 19-Aug-23 08:48:28

Well you’ll be fuller for longer. Won’t feel the need to snack.
I’m not a fan of ‘healthy’ bars. Never eat them.

I’d enjoy eggs for breakfast. Perhaps cheese salad for lunch and a salmon fillet for dinner. Those type of meals anyway.

aggie Sat 19-Aug-23 08:48:48

I prefer “real “ food to snack bars !
I have a helping of plain low fat yogurt on my porridge
Pulses and or beans in soup
Oily fish when I can get it
A balanced diet is better than snack bars

foxie48 Sat 19-Aug-23 08:54:25

I need about 75g of protein daily. Actually it's not a huge amount and I eat very small portions of meat occasionally, fish regularly and lots of pulses, plants and dairy. I'm another who wouldn't touch a protein bar or shake, it's much better to get your protein from proper foods not processed products. The link below is really helpful.
www.healthhub.sg/live-healthy/2076/seniors-need-more-protein

Redhead56 Sat 19-Aug-23 08:54:28

I do eat meat but in small amounts only because of the fat content. I eat yoghurts cottage cheese and often add firm Tofu to meals last part of cooking to stop it going too mushy. These products can all be eaten in savoury or sweet dishes.

I add beans chick peas lentils etc usually tinned to pad out many casseroles and stews and mixed seeds get thrown in too. I wouldn’t go down the road of protein bars they are full of sugar.

Jaxjacky Sat 19-Aug-23 09:00:33

Protein bars are an expensive way of getting a very small amount of good stuff with a lot of rubbish stuff. You’d be better off with beans on whole meal toast; tinned fish, lentils and beans are easy and don’t have superfluous waste with them.

silverlining48 Sat 19-Aug-23 09:09:23

I also don’t buy protein bars, just check ingredients and see why, even the so called healthy ones.
Would agree with above advice? fresh food is always best.

Abitbarmy Sat 19-Aug-23 09:20:19

Nutritional yeast is high in protein and B vitamins.

Casdon Sat 19-Aug-23 09:20:58

I make my own healthy bars, and store them wrapped up in grease proof paper in the freezer. I don’t like eating an early breakfast, so if I’m out and about I take one with me to eat about 10.30. This is the recipe I used last time.
www.healthygreenkitchen.com/homemade-protein-bars/
I don’t add protein powder to mine, but you can if you want to.

Abitbarmy Sat 19-Aug-23 09:22:00

Oh and Greek yogurt.

BigBertha1 Sat 19-Aug-23 09:51:51

I do have protein bars for golf as they are easier to eat during a four hour round which goes over lunchtime. I think the ones I like (Haven't got any in the cupboard at the moment) are All Natural - I like something with low sugar but lots of nuts. If I'm at home I like a Dr Kargs crispbread with peanut butter on for lunch or a snack.

Lathyrus Sat 19-Aug-23 10:31:26

If it’s a snack like a protein bar you can’t beat a handful of nuts.

High protein, no sugar or added fat, minimal processing.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 19-Aug-23 10:33:49

A good mixed diet should be sufficient for your nutritional requirements - unless you are on a diet if some sort.

growstuff Sat 19-Aug-23 10:43:08

I do eat meat, but not much. I don't eat many carbs, so I eat more protein and low saturated fat than generally recommended.

I eat fish (including tinned), yoghurt, nuts, avocados, lentils, eggs. One of my "go to lunches" is full fat cottage cheese, a chopped up apple, chopped celery and walnuts with a sprinkling of chia seeds.

Katie59 Sat 19-Aug-23 10:44:16

You havn’t said why you want more protein, as you get older you don’t need as much so don’t over do it you will get stomach problems. Not protein bars, nuts, beans, chick peas, fish, meat, all in a balanced diet, don’t forget enough fibre.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 19-Aug-23 10:47:24

I have cut down on meat (carbon aware) and now only eat meat every third day - fish and veggie other days. I am now thinking of extending that to every fourth day by introducing cheese/egg meals. Waiting for a gall bladder extraction, so will have to wait for that (saturated fat a no no) but I think that is what we will move to asap.

foxie48 Sat 19-Aug-23 10:47:28

BigBertha1

I do have protein bars for golf as they are easier to eat during a four hour round which goes over lunchtime. I think the ones I like (Haven't got any in the cupboard at the moment) are All Natural - I like something with low sugar but lots of nuts. If I'm at home I like a Dr Kargs crispbread with peanut butter on for lunch or a snack.

Dr Kargs crispbreads are my go to for a quick easy lunch. I either add cheese, use as a dip for hummus or whipped feta and they are also good with almond butter. They are low gi and high in protein but very importantly, they taste good and have a great crunch!

NanKate Sat 19-Aug-23 16:15:58

Really helpful info. Thanks All.

I had a hard boiled egg, avocado, tiny piece of cheese and two oat cakes for lunch as an experiment and I still feel full.

I bought a sugar free protein bar today and just ate about an inch’s worth with my morning coffee. I don’t intend to use the bars as meals just instead of an occasional biscuit.

I need to lose stomach fat, the rest of me is ok. I’m finding restricted eating helpful too only eating in a 10 hour window. I need to lose about 6lbs.

MerylStreep Sat 19-Aug-23 16:23:07

NanKate
Did you check the fat content of the bar. If it says palm oil, it’s a no no, very high in unsaturated fat.

NanKate Sat 19-Aug-23 17:34:11

Yes MarylStreep I always check for palm oil because of the deforestation.

The Nakd cocoa hazelnut bar had dates, peanuts, chicory fibre, hazelnuts and fat reduced cocoa powder and natural flavourings. I’m only likely to have a bar like this once a week.

MerylStreep Sat 19-Aug-23 17:41:13

NanKate

Yes MarylStreep I always check for palm oil because of the deforestation.

The Nakd cocoa hazelnut bar had dates, peanuts, chicory fibre, hazelnuts and fat reduced cocoa powder and natural flavourings. I’m only likely to have a bar like this once a week.

Have fillet steak every week 😊

Norah Sat 19-Aug-23 17:58:50

We eat nuts, pulses, lentils, quinoa, tofu, nut butters, humous (chick peas), soy beans, chia - some in our family add eggs, cheese, and fish. Others add beef, chicken, pork, lamb and jambon. Lots of choices.

I make protein bars for the children: oats, bananas, spices, nuts, chia and seeds, nut butters, and dried fruits.

Norah Sat 19-Aug-23 18:56:49

Nut butters or hummus on rice cakes, crunchy, low calorie depending on amount spread, Beans on rice cakes if tolerable (I can't but one of the middles loves beans on rice cakes with that hot sauce).

Shirleyw Sun 20-Aug-23 07:57:48

snack wise i have a jar of 100% nut butter, almond atm, no added sugars, oils etc. just organic almond butter, so i have a quick teaspoon full when i feel like something. sometimes i ground my own to a butter.