Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Face or Figure?

(65 Posts)
BigBertha1 Tue 17-Oct-23 15:46:47

If losing more weight was going to increase the number of wrinkles on your face and 'age' you further which way would you go? Asking for a friend. Thank you.

BlueBelle Tue 17-Oct-23 16:11:38

Tell your friend I d stay the way I was 😏

M0nica Tue 17-Oct-23 16:31:15

Why should it? A decision on a question like this is so dependent on so many factors: start weight, planned finished weight, height, family aging history, skin care routines.

The answer can onlbe as long as a piece of string

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 17-Oct-23 16:33:50

I would think your friend 😊 would have to get very scrawny for weight loss to have an adverse effect on the face (and neck).

BlueBelle Tue 17-Oct-23 16:56:20

Not necessary GSM different people lose it off different areas My friends husband has just lost weight and it went straight off his neck and face making him look years older (he wasn’t much overweight)

Casdon Tue 17-Oct-23 17:03:16

I’d go for figure, because I’d rather be healthy than overweight even if it meant a few more wrinkles.

crazyH Tue 17-Oct-23 17:08:05

BigBertha - your friend is right. The prettiest girl I know/knew was a big girl I worked with. She had the darkest of hair, flawless skin, pretty nose, pretty eyes , dark well shaped eyebrows . It wasn’t just me who thought that - she was the envy of everyone at the workplace. I wouldn’t call myself big , but I am certainly not slim. I have often been told , that I look young for my age . I’ll take that !!!

Oreo Tue 17-Oct-23 17:24:30

Face, my Mum has a lovely face and a rounded body, I hope I’ll be like her one day.She has a very slim friend who has a thin wrinkly face and neck who looks unattractive poor woman.

Lovetopaint037 Tue 17-Oct-23 17:37:34

Not overweight but also not too thin. My SIL has had to diet due to diabetes. She has now stopped as she looked so much older. Iwas shocked when I saw her last as she has always looked so attractive but dieting hadn’t done her any favours.

Granmarderby10 Tue 17-Oct-23 19:22:51

If your neck is wrinkled, there is very little can be done about it. ( unless one is fabulously rich d a a a r l i n g )
Perhaps this is why so many women wear swathes of scarfs. My neck has been looking horrible on photos for ages (to me anyway) I blame the photographers

I agree though that people who have been very overweight for most of their life and then lose weight do end up looking a bit scraggy but often it has been to save their lives.

I was thinking in particular about Tommy Walsh when I see him on Homes Under The Hammer on Tv.
It’s not just women

MerylStreep Tue 17-Oct-23 19:26:55

Casdon

I’d go for figure, because I’d rather be healthy than overweight even if it meant a few more wrinkles.

Same here. You can work wonders with good makeup, where as it’s hard to hide 1/2stone.

Whiff Tue 17-Oct-23 19:52:26

I lost 7st and my triple chin. Face isn't very wrinkly but my body is baggy and saggy but I don't care. I went from over 19st size 32 to a 16. Started to diet in 2017 and kept the 7 st off 2 years. But have been trying to lose the last stone during those 2 years. But if it takes me another 2 years one day I will get to 11st.

Sago Tue 17-Oct-23 20:05:26

I would concentrate on my mental health and have a happy face and body.

M0nica Tue 17-Oct-23 21:27:36

Whiff Congratulations. I put on 2 stone over the menopause years and finally lost it when I was 70. I have kept it off since. Small beer compared with your achievement, but it means I do appreciate the magnitude of your success.

Whiff Tue 17-Oct-23 23:07:05

MOnica don't put down your achievement in losing the weight. Losing weight as we get older is harder. Losing that 2 st is brilliant but not just the weight but the inches as well. And bet you feel like a new woman.

Until I lost the weight I never wore trousers. My daughter encouraged me to try a pair and now wear them everyday . Same with PJ's.

I never wore bright colours as it was the old mind set of if I wear black I would look slimmer. Which was stupid. I love to wear bright colours and patterns.

Bet there are things you wouldn't wear before your weight loss but do now.

M0nica Wed 18-Oct-23 08:55:54

Whiff Isn't it strange how larger people think wearing black wil, yes, make them look slimmer, but often, I think, make them invisible, when all it actually does is draw attention to their size. They are usually the one person dressed in black in the room, and just as people suffering from anorexia will try to hide under layers of loose bulky clothing, it actally draws attention to their size or lack of it rather than the alternative.

Dress like everybody else and people will be aware that you are big, but then you just blend into the landscape with everyone else.

Tenko Wed 18-Oct-23 09:32:55

I’d go for losing weight as being overweight affects your health and well-being as it’s harder to exercise with the extra pounds . My dh list 2st last year and felt so much better . He could walk the dog without getting out of breath and his knees didn’t hurt . Yes he lost weight from his face but didn’t look scrawny . However my friends dh has lost weight recently and looks very drawn and older than he is . So there are a lot of other factors .

GrannyGravy13 Wed 18-Oct-23 09:58:20

Definitely weight before face.

Being overweight causes excess pressure in heart, lungs, joints, more chance of diabetes etc.

downtoearth Wed 18-Oct-23 10:09:49

I just try to keep an even weight,which is around 11.5 stone,I dont weigh myself.

I became obsessed with lowering my target slimming world,until I got to a very unhealthy 7st 10,I looked awful,all I could focus on was that I could wear size 6 clothes,having been a petite size 16,my skin hung off of me,people asked if I had been ill,a
long term relationship broke down that didnt help,I became scared to eat,and as my life spiralled out of control,the only thing I could control was my weight.

I now eat small portions of everything,but days happen that I will try to eat as little as I can,or I will skip meals,I dont eat bread,cereal,and pasta/rice and very little potato.

People say I look healthier,I am neither fat nor thin,just average,I think I am probably just right now,
my grandaughter hated me being that thin she felt I would snap when she hugged me.

PinkCosmos Wed 18-Oct-23 10:23:53

I think it depends on where you carry your weight.

A friend of mine is very pear shaped but has a lovely face with no double chin at all. She is perceived as being slimmer than she is because she does not have a fat face.

Another friend is quite slim but has a double chin and fatter face. She is perceived as being bigger than she is because of her double chin.

I think if you have a double chin and lose weight you can look OK and not too scrawny.

If you don't have a fat face to go with your bigger body, then you can end up looking drawn and more wrinkly if you lose weight. It's like a balloon after it has been blown up and is then deflated.

I have been to slimming clubs on and off over the years and I seen this as other members have lost weight. It seems to be worse in older women as their skin does not have the ability to bounce back.

Unfortunately, I have a fat face and a fat body hmm

henetha Wed 18-Oct-23 10:27:45

How about a compromise? Lose a bit of weight, it's good for us, but not too much so that we then look wrinkled or haggard.

PinkCosmos Wed 18-Oct-23 10:29:42

I agree Henetha. If I lost two stones I would look and feel much better, would lose most of my double chin and not end up to wrinkly in the face.

Just need to crack and do it now grin

LauraNorderr Wed 18-Oct-23 10:30:29

Healthy weight and wrinkly face v unhealthy weight and flawless face.
No brainer.

henetha Wed 18-Oct-23 10:45:54

Not easy, is it PinkCosmos. I'm endlessly trying to achieve this compromise! grin

BigBertha1 Wed 18-Oct-23 13:37:49

Thank you for your reponses. Lots of food for thought. smile
I think I'll go with Henetha's plan I think I can only honestly stay on a diet for a short length of time so hopefully err the side of compromise.