Gransnet forums

Food

Great British Bake Off

(187 Posts)
LyndaW Thu 23-Jul-15 09:29:19

...is on in less than 2 weeks. Thank goodness - telly has been dire of late.

NanaDenise Thu 23-Jul-15 09:34:39

So many channels - so many unwatchable programs! Bake off is one we all sit down and watch.

annodomini Thu 23-Jul-15 10:20:56

And when it starts at least they can stop using that cringe-inducing trailer with its parody of The Sound of Music.

vegasmags Thu 23-Jul-15 10:35:06

I do enjoy watching GBBO, but it's given me mixer envy. I still use the hand held beater I've had for many years, but I would love one of those giant mixers they use - just can't justify the horrendous expense. Wouldn't it be good if GNHQ offered one as a competition prize?

whenim64 Thu 23-Jul-15 11:07:50

I cringe at that trailer, too. GBBO doesn't need hype, just show it as usual and we'll be there.

vegas I've got that KitchenAid Artisan mixer and use it most days. It looks good out on the worktop and has earned its cost many times over. Worth taking the plunge! grin

tanith Thu 23-Jul-15 11:12:23

I have a Kenwood mixer OH bought me even though I told him we have no where to put it. I love it and its very useful even for pastry as my hands are arthritic and it hurts, but it has to sit on top of the microwave and its quite heavy so doesn't get used as often as I would like as I just can't be @rsed to lift it down onto the work top.

We love GBBO too but I did get a bit tired of Paul whatsisname.. he gets on my nerves a bit.

aggie Thu 23-Jul-15 11:19:19

I love the ad !!!!!!

aggie Thu 23-Jul-15 11:21:49

hope the sewing comes back , I love it , even though it is years since I did proper sewing , you can't really count sewing Scout Badges on his uniform , for my GS

ninathenana Thu 23-Jul-15 13:24:39

I would far rather watch the sewing programme than GBBO. I have only ever watched snippets whilst adds are on commercial channels.
I'm enjoying watching the new season of Hair.

aggie Thu 23-Jul-15 13:26:28

I saw Hair for the first time last night , when did it start ? It looked good from the bit I caught

AshTree Thu 23-Jul-15 13:30:18

Oh I'm glad I'm not the only one who loves the ad, aggie - I was beginning to doubt my judgement!

I have a Kenwood Chef which my DS bought me last Christmas. I bought one soon after I got married, but stupidly gave it away when I got seduced by the multi-functioned food processors that started to flood the market. I bought a Moulinex processor, found I didn't use a quarter of its functionality, and it fell to bits after a few years. And oh how I wished I'd kept the Chef - and how glad I am to have one again! It sits on the worktop so it's accessible all the time and it gets used often!

annodomini Thu 23-Jul-15 13:38:11

aggie the Scout shop on line sells badge glue which has let me off the hook of sewing on the Beaver and Cub badges.

Probably the reason I find that trailer nauseating is that I also can't stand The Sound of Music. (anno dives for cover to hide from multitude of enraged grans).

whitewave Thu 23-Jul-15 13:56:19

Love it, but unhapppilycan't make any of it-constant dietsad

whitewave Thu 23-Jul-15 14:09:09

just thinking - another reason not to get rid of the bbc

vegasmags Thu 23-Jul-15 14:11:26

anno - that film is known in our family as The Sound of Mucus grin

whenim64 Thu 23-Jul-15 14:27:22

I've only managed to endure a few minutes of The Sound Of Music before turning it off.

ninathenana Thu 23-Jul-15 15:01:20

anno I will have to tell DD to look out for badge glue. She's a guide leader and rubbish at sewing grin

sweetpea Fri 24-Jul-15 15:42:27

I was a Brownie Guider for over 30 years, and our Brownies all had a go at sewing on badges , the ones that were 'glued' on by parents looked awful, and I don't think we are doing ourselves or our children any favours by selling Badge Glue, come on Scout Association it doesn't hurt boys one little bit having a try at sewing themselves!

Nelliemoser Fri 24-Jul-15 17:16:26

The television is always pretty bad in the summer. I look forward to Bake off. There is a heck of a lot of skill and invention seen on that program.

I like the add for GBBO as well.

Nelliemoser Fri 24-Jul-15 17:19:34

anno I find the "Sound of Music" far to cheesy to enjoy but using the song in the advert made me laugh.

annodomini Fri 24-Jul-15 17:33:59

By the time I left the Brownies I was sewing on my own badges. I'm not sure I would let my youngest GS loose with a needle.

aggie Fri 24-Jul-15 17:39:59

Well I never ! Badge glue ? My hands don't work like they used to and I am sure glued on badges would have looked better than my cobbling , the so called Scout is 12 and can knit , but I managed to catch him early to pass on that craft , he looked at me in horror when I offered him a needle and thread . Might have had something to do with the muttered yelps as I managed to sew my fingers to the shirt !

sarah2000h Sun 26-Jul-15 12:47:39

I can't wait for GBBO to start. It gives me such good ideas for baking - just a shame they don't materialise though

merlotgran Tue 28-Jul-15 09:00:45

Here are the contestants

shysal Tue 28-Jul-15 09:14:56

An interesting bunch! The female body builder doesn't seem to have defined muscles that showed in the photo!