Gransnet forums

Food

Great British Bake Off

(188 Posts)
LyndaW Thu 23-Jul-15 09:29:19

...is on in less than 2 weeks. Thank goodness - telly has been dire of late.

merlotgran Fri 09-Oct-15 18:35:57

I thought the Daily Mail was singing Nadiya's praises. hmm

Ana Fri 09-Oct-15 18:40:58

Me too. Don't know what granjura's going on about.

rosequartz Fri 09-Oct-15 18:42:10

The Sun and Daily Mail are vile
Can't speak for the Sun, but I thought the same as merlotgran and that the DM was singing Nadiya's praises (and I thought I posted above about that).

Without reading the publication how can anyone tell? Like commenting on tv programmes no-one has watched [hmm

rosequartz Fri 09-Oct-15 18:44:37

hmm in fact and a bit confused

Then again, some people may think that some left-wing publications are 'vile' and 'dangerous' because of some of the people they consort with and obtain information from (now escaped to the communist zone) and their naive editors.

WilmaKnickersfit Sat 10-Oct-15 00:05:45

Far be it for me to defend the DM, but I don't see the problem with the article about the final. The Amanda Platell article earlier in the week was awful, but nothing new there.

Deedaa Sat 10-Oct-15 21:16:43

I think it's sad that everything I've read about the final has referred to Tamal as "The Gay Anaesthetist" I can't see why people have to be labelled like this, he's just a nice young man who you'd be pleased to see when you were wheeled into the operating theatre. As his sister said, he's clever and good looking - why do we need to know more?

Anniebach Sat 10-Oct-15 22:19:21

What has sex and religion to do with a cookery programme ?

Nelliemoser Sat 10-Oct-15 23:03:43

SuzieB that is terrible, but not atypical of the DM.

However if the DM was hoping to suggest that Tamal, and Nadiya were only included to be PC it is complete rubbish.
As the show went on everyone could see they were well ahead of the game.
I would be interested to know how they do their heats.

TriciaF Sun 11-Oct-15 19:30:28

I watched the final this afternoon - sad it's all over.
From this session I would have put Tamal as the winner, I thought his spider's web creation was brilliant, way above the other two.
But overall probably Nadiya was the more consistent.
I really enjoyed the whole series.

rosequartz Sun 11-Oct-15 19:36:56

I would have put Tamal as the winner, I thought his spider's web creation was brilliant, way above the other two

It was, but the brief was for a 'classic British cake' and actually I thought it looked a bit messy although very clever, (looked as if it would be delicious nonetheless) and his theme was a deserted Chinese village I think. hmm

Ian's carrot cakes were typically British, I think, but Nadiya followed the brief very wittily with her 'Big Fat British Wedding Cake'!

rosequartz Sun 11-Oct-15 19:37:31

And it wasn't just the showstopper that they were judged on - she was consistently good all the way through the final.

rosequartz Sun 11-Oct-15 20:06:32

Sorry - you already said that Tricia smile