Gransnet forums

Food

Mushrooms on toast, anyone?

(63 Posts)
NotTooOld Fri 02-Oct-15 22:02:53

I happened to mention yesterday that DH and I had made fried mushrooms on toast for our lunch. This is a normal dish for us, one both our mothers produced occasionally, but the friends we were speaking to expressed amazement as they'd never heard of such a thing. Do other GN-ers eat mushrooms on toast?

loopylou Mon 05-Oct-15 18:19:16

Yum, yum!

Riverwalk Mon 05-Oct-15 17:14:16

As she's vegetarian you daughter can replace the Lea & Perrins with a bit more Dijon or paprika to add to the piquancy.

It's also a great omelette filling.

loopylou Mon 05-Oct-15 17:05:39

Thank you! DD will love it too (she's vegetarian). It would be good in jacket potatoes too.

Riverwalk Mon 05-Oct-15 17:02:09

Loopy very easy, nothing fancy!

Chestnut mushrooms, quartered
Red onion, finely sliced
Clove garlic
Tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp paprika
Couple of tbs cream or yoghurt
Dash of Lea & Perrins
Salt & pepper

Saute the onion and garlic for at least 10 minutes in olive oil and butter, add mushrooms, Lea & Perrins and paprika, when it looks cooked, about 5 minutes, add mustard and yoghurt/cream, season.

granjura Mon 05-Oct-15 16:45:22

So funny how things change with the times. When I was a kid, having shop bought 'Paris' mushrooms was seen as really posh and sophisticated- and those eating wild foraged mushrooms 'poor' - and now it is totally t'other way round. You say you like wild self picked mushrooms and people thing 'oooo how fancy' - hilarious.

loopylou Mon 05-Oct-15 16:42:06

That does looks delish Riverwalk, how do you make it?

Riverwalk Mon 05-Oct-15 16:38:10

Lunch today - devilled mushrooms.

shysal Mon 05-Oct-15 09:10:10

I sometimes use a can of condensed mushroom soup as a cook-in sauce for a couple of chicken thighs. I add extra sliced mushrooms and bake in the oven.

thatbags Mon 05-Oct-15 06:39:50

My sister-in-law said she didn't feel empty nest syndrome because the kids gone meant she and my brother could eat mushrooms with everything.

Elizabeth1 Mon 05-Oct-15 02:35:56

I just love mushrooms on toast, mushroom soup, mushrooms in all sorts of food. smile

Galen Sun 04-Oct-15 20:13:18

Condensed cream of mushroom soup with a tin of salmon and quartered tomatoes, salt and pepper to taste.
Microwave and seve with lemon wedges, rice, pasta, or bread and butter!
Yummy
Quick
Healthy
Delicious!

My comfort recipe

loopylou Sun 04-Oct-15 20:12:57

I never peel mushrooms Shysal, quick wipe over if necessary, that's all. My mum used to throw away the stems, but then I think she peels any veg that she gets hold of, including broccoli stalks.

rosequartz Sun 04-Oct-15 19:54:25

That sounds good Elegran
I make mushroom soup sometimes, I'll try that!

I can remember DF coming home on Saturday lunch-times (he worked on Saturday mornings and went in for half a pint on the way home - his weekly treat) and then he went to the market to buy what veg he didn't grow; he would show me the mushrooms he had bought - they were a special treat in those days.
Now I just pick them up as routine every week in the supermarket.

Elegran Sun 04-Oct-15 19:48:23

I improved my mushroom soup no end with 2 tablespoons of brandy.

Elegran Sun 04-Oct-15 19:47:03

Not small ones with thin peel that curls in tight to the stem, but I peel the large flat ones with thick easy-peel skin (and more taste - if I am eating mushrooms I like to know that they are mushrooms, not just blobs)

shysal Sun 04-Oct-15 19:10:41

Does anyone peel mushrooms? My parents' generation always used to, and wouldn't be told that it was unnecessary. I still know a few older people who insist on it. Same applies to new potatoes!

M0nica Sun 04-Oct-15 18:45:28

We used to have them on toast as a special treat some Sundays when I was a child in the 1950s. Mushrooms were relatively expensive then but we lived near a mushroom farm and my father used to visit the farm and buy a big bag of mushroom stalks because, not only were they more tasty, but he got more for his money as they were cheaper than whole mushrooms.

granjura Sun 04-Oct-15 09:22:11

ahahahah Maggie- my man is a bit different and wouldn't dream of doing so - I am definitely the mushroom expert in our house (and for miles around)... perhaps his professional experience kicks in here.

granjura Sun 04-Oct-15 09:20:23

ah Mamie, yes the competition is fierce here! And people very secretive and protective about their best 'coins' (spots)- I go to all my dad's old favourites and am incensed if I see another car parked thers- how dare they, lol (or mdr as we say in French).

Met a really nice British guy yesterday who lives in around neck of the woods, over here for a big 'absinthe' fest- very nice, and thought about you.

I collect about 30 different types of mushrooms- morels in early Spring, St Georges mousserons (which gave the English word 'mushrrom) in May (we are lucky to have a massive ring of them in our field- so not far to go- picked and straight in the pan) and the others about now. I have the Phillips book in both French (bought it for dad's bd many many moons ago) and in English.

Leah50 Sun 04-Oct-15 08:53:27

We love mushrooms and eat them everyday, I worked as a picker on a big commercial farm and never tired of them...the fungus of the Gods.

BiNtHeReDuNiT14 Sun 04-Oct-15 08:33:11

Mushrooms on 'eggy bread' Mmmm.

Marelli Sun 04-Oct-15 07:23:10

Elrel, could you post the recipe for mushroom soup, please? I've been given a really large amount of mushrooms (factory-picked), which I've frozen. The recipe I use at the moment isn't all that good.

Mamie Sun 04-Oct-15 07:18:04

When we first started picking mushrooms we joined a local fungus foray group and did a few seasons with them. We also used to look at different books (Roger Phillips the favourite) to cross-check the identification. OH is very keen and used to pick masses (within the required limits) in the depths of the New Forest; we always had a big store in the freezer and huge jars of dried ceps.
Here in France we find it more difficult because so many people do it. OH went out at first light the other morning and bumped into loads of other people.
We mostly pick ceps, hedgehogs and summer and winter chanterelles.

thatbags Sun 04-Oct-15 07:01:03

I don't think I like mushrooms on their own or only with toast. I love them mixed in with other foods. Chanterelles on toast with toasted cheese on top I could do or field mushrooms on top of a toasted chop or burger.

Elrel Sun 04-Oct-15 01:48:46

Mushrooms on Toast?! My favourite tea as a child. Oddly my mother always threw away the stems. Completely agree about mushroom soup, quick, easy and delicious, I use the SW recipe and, for preference, porcini stock cubes which can be hard to find.