Gransnet forums

Food

Mushrooms on toast, anyone?

(62 Posts)
NotTooOld Fri 02-Oct-15 22:02:53

I happened to mention yesterday that DH and I had made fried mushrooms on toast for our lunch. This is a normal dish for us, one both our mothers produced occasionally, but the friends we were speaking to expressed amazement as they'd never heard of such a thing. Do other GN-ers eat mushrooms on toast?

Ana Fri 02-Oct-15 22:05:46

Yes! One of my favourite things for breakfast or lunch.

ffinnochio Fri 02-Oct-15 22:08:03

Yes! Particularly at this time of year. Swished around in a pan of butter, with some salt and pepper. My Mum used to make it, too. smile

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 02-Oct-15 22:18:05

I have made and eaten it on occasion, but it's not exactly sustaining. No protein. Now, with a rasher or two of bacon....

merlotgran Fri 02-Oct-15 22:25:39

DH loves mushrooms on toast for breakfast so I have mine on a slice of gluten free....Topped with a rasher of bacon grin

rosequartz Fri 02-Oct-15 22:27:43

Only with scrambled egg - very nice!

Isn't vegetarian meat substitute made from fungus?
Oh! Just googled it - mixed with egg albumen apparently, so would not be suitable for vegans hmm

granjura Fri 02-Oct-15 22:32:26

Love creamy mushrooms on toast- but normally home picked wild mushrooms at this time of year. Went for bit mushroom foray today- and it's been far too dry lately and found nothing. If I have a small 'catch' will mix with bought 'Paris' mushrooms. Must have a little cream and a good crush of pepper and herbs.

annodomini Fri 02-Oct-15 22:58:16

For lunch today - sliced mushrooms (picked in Waitrose) sautéed with garlic and served on buttered toast. Yum!

NotTooOld Fri 02-Oct-15 23:06:34

Hurray! We are not the only ones, then. anno - our mushrooms were supermarket picked, too. The older I get the more I appreciate the help of Messrs Sainsbury, Morrison, Tesco and Waitrose.
PS I like marmite on the toast under my mushrooms.

Indinana Fri 02-Oct-15 23:06:44

Mushrooms (fried in butter with a little garlic and herbs) on toast used to be one of my favourite lunches, but I've had to give up eating mushrooms as they play havoc with my insides sad. DH goes out foraging for mushrooms at this time of year - a couple of weeks ago he came back with loads. These days he has to eat them all himself, but he's not complaining grin

Maggiemaybe Fri 02-Oct-15 23:32:36

Oh, yes, lovely! smile I'm a wimp when it comes to foraging. My mother used to dispose of the mushrooms I brought home from the fields, in case any were dangerous, and I'm afraid I did the same to the box full DH presented me with the other day. There were some very odd shapes and colours in there, and he has been asking about my life assurance provision.... grin

hildajenniJ Sat 03-Oct-15 08:03:56

I like mushrooms on toast, with a little grated cheese on top, and toasted under the grill until brown and bubbling. Lovely.

rubysong Sat 03-Oct-15 08:53:49

We had mushrooms on toast the other day, in a creamy sauce, lovely! We hadn't had it for years and said how much we enjoyed it and must do it more often.

Teetime Sat 03-Oct-15 08:59:29

DH loves all kinds of mushrooms and will happily have them on toast but I cook them in a dash of olive oil (chilli sometimes) with some garlic. I'm not a mushroom floor - tastes like eating soil to me.

Teetime Sat 03-Oct-15 08:59:48

mushroom lover!

shysal Sat 03-Oct-15 09:34:00

I have a pack of mushrooms waiting to be cooked with marmite toast for lunch today. Years ago I used to buy the cans of creamed mushrooms. They were delicious on toast too.

Charleygirl Sat 03-Oct-15 09:48:42

Yummy- I also love it.

Anne58 Sat 03-Oct-15 09:53:51

Years ago we had a glut of wild mushrooms, my heart would sink when they boys came in proudly bearing another boxful, but then I discovered that mushroom soup is very easy to make, tastes far better than any shop bought one and freezes beautifully, problem solved grin

PS Condensed cream of mushroom soup mixed with left over cooked chicken or turkey makes a very good quick pie filling wink

Gagagran Sat 03-Oct-15 10:12:00

I am a mushroom lover and we often have the big Portobello mushrooms stuffed with cheese, onion and breadcrumbs + Worcestershire sauce or Marmite, as a main meal. Also like mushrooms on toast!

granjura Sat 03-Oct-15 10:15:28

maggiebaby- criminal oh dear shock.

What a shame. Does you DH not know his mushrooms then and just picked willy nilly? I grew up foraging with my parents, and I know my wild mushrooms really well- and where we lived some called me 'the mushroom lady'. I often met some older Polish guys in the woods and fields- they seemed to be the only ones to know what's what.

Now you are right to be careful- and I never ever pick or eat anything I am not totally 100% sure- but some you really can't mistake for anything else. Like parasols, or blewitts or bluelegs or inkcaps, or ceps, and many more. If DH hasn't got a clue, fair enough, but if he does know then ...

Had DH thrown away a basket full of shrooms I'd lovelingly picked- I'd have gone berserk!

whitewave Sat 03-Oct-15 10:27:31

I can remember as a teenager my mother used to buy tinned creamed mushrooms, and used to give them to me on toast for tea.

loopylou Sat 03-Oct-15 10:44:30

I love mushrooms on toast or just about any other way. DH will only eat them if heavily disguised.

henetha Sat 03-Oct-15 10:46:48

Yay! Mushrooms on toast is yummy. Sometimes with fried tomatoes too.
Cheers for mushrooms, one of the tastiest things on the planet.

Maggiemaybe Sat 03-Oct-15 16:24:07

No, granjura, he hasn't a clue, and neither have I! Having googled some images of harmful fungi, I'm pretty certain some of them were destined for my plate that day. And having looked at the images, he has conceded that those who know nowt about mushroom picking should only do so at recognised shops. grin

durhamjen Sat 03-Oct-15 16:30:48

I like them with sesame seeds.