Gransnet forums

Food

Favourite Jam

(65 Posts)
Antjexix Thu 05-May-16 08:23:32

I have bought a jar of Mackays Seedless Bramble Preserve and openend it this morning to have on my toast...I'm in heaven. I normally buy Hartleys but thought I try something different. Which is other gransnetters favourite jam or preserve?

angmhay Fri 06-May-16 19:27:19

I make lemon curd and I have to say it's pretty darned good! It's expensive and not so easy to find here in the States, and everyone loves my home made!

Daddima Fri 06-May-16 19:45:20

My mother used to make a cocktail marmalade with oranges, lemons, and grapefruit. It was delicious.

Auntieflo Fri 06-May-16 20:33:11

Leonora47, do you have a recipe for your Lime marmalade, that you would be willing to pass on? I make marmalade, but admit to using the tins of Mamade, blush making a batch yesterday, only with less sugar than they suggest. I'd love to have a go at your Lime marmalade.

Indinana Fri 06-May-16 20:47:55

I too use tins of Mamade Auntieflo - I usually substitute at least a quarter of the liquid for whisky. Absolutely delicious! We have a lot of whisky in the cupboard, some inherited from PiL and some that DH bought, but no longer drinks, so this is a great way to use it up smile.
My favourite jam is my homemade seedless blackberry. Has to be wild blackberries for the best flavour - I made some a couple of years ago using cultivated berries from my DS's garden, and it was nowhere near as nice.

MammaN Fri 06-May-16 22:19:17

My rhubarb and ginger.

Bijou Fri 06-May-16 23:35:50

Dalfour, made in France with no extra sugar, especially the thick orange.

Jalima Fri 06-May-16 23:48:18

I used to love DM's home-made damson jam but I don't know where to find damsons these days.

henetha have you tried Tesco Key Lime Curd - quite sharp and nice on toast!
I haven't found the Lidl sour cherry preserve, must look for that.

Yes, the Dalfour is good, made with no sugar, but a jar doesn't last very long. DGD likes that on her toast when she comes for breakfast, especially the strawberry.

Synonymous Sat 07-May-16 00:21:51

I love all home made jams as they seem to have a better taste than the commercial ones.
I have a particular love for Tiptrees Pineapple jam since a certain boyfriend loved it so much that my mother always made sure there was some in the cupboard in case he came. DH always insists that he was snared by pineapple jam! grin

tiredoldwoman Sat 07-May-16 03:19:52

Morrisons used to have an own brand ginger marmalade but don't seem to stock it now - I loved it as it tasted like my granny's . Now they've got a poorer quality tasting one ( but more expensive) which I don't like . She used to make gooseberry jam , too . I'm going to have to buy jam tomorrow - slobber, slobber ! Quite like Duerr's jams .

anne53 Sat 07-May-16 20:06:11

Love Bramble jelly, but recently bought a jar of Bilberry Jam at a NT house but can't remember which. It was delicious.

phizz Sat 07-May-16 21:47:54

I love the low sugar Polish cherry jam which I buy online from Wallys deli in Welsh Wales.

tanith Sat 07-May-16 22:09:17

I love Tiptree Orange and Tangerine Marmalade the taste is very special and we were bought a Fortnum and Mason hamper which contained Strawberry Preserve I don't think I've ever tasted better its expensive but when its gone I'm going to buy some more..

Antjexix Sun 08-May-16 07:03:32

I think the saying "You get what you pay for" really applies with a lot of food tanith smile

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 08-May-16 09:25:18

Hmm. Odd how those high class London stores always fare so badly in the taste testings.

Tiptree is the only jam I know of that uses exactly the same ingredients as homemade, fruit,, sugar, and water. No glucose which, I think gives jam that artificial, oversweet, flavour.