Gransnet forums

Gardening

Mandevilla

(17 Posts)
POGS Wed 15-Apr-15 23:15:17

Can anyone advise me please.

I purchased a good, strong, 3' high Mandevilla plant from Lidl today.

I have never grown one before so I thought I would give it a go.

I have looked on sites and all I can gather is it might not over winter, needs a good cutting back, likes a sandy, well drained soil and needs a trellis of some description and prefers sun, dappled shade.

Now I would like to know 1) Does it grow well in a garden? Will frost kill it stone dead?

I can grow bottle brush and Hibiscus in my garden so will Mandevilla do equally as well or is it a much more delicate plant altogether.

Thank you.

rosequartz Wed 15-Apr-15 23:25:13

I don't know, and managed to kill off my bottle brush, but perhaps if you mulch it, put straw/sacking or horticultural fleece around it in the winter it should be OK.

janerowena Wed 15-Apr-15 23:38:26

I've grown it, but never managed to make it last more than a couple of years. I was always quite surprised if it popped up again. It emerges quite late, and is very easy to break off when it emerges to any protection you can give it would be good, and mark it well. Yes, mulch it to keep it warm. If you can grow bottle brush you should be fine.

whitewave Thu 16-Apr-15 16:36:08

I bought one from Hampton Court to grow in the conservatory and promptly killed it.

POGS Thu 16-Apr-15 17:10:23

grin

This is all very reassuring.

I think I will shove it in a hole in the sunny side of the garden and hope for the best.

Thanks confused

rosequartz Thu 16-Apr-15 17:58:37

Someone was on the tv recently - he had made his garden (somewhere in the south-east I think) into a tropical paradise!

POGS Thu 16-Apr-15 19:17:43

rosequartz

It only cost me £9.99 I don't think moving to the South East will be worth it. grin

rosequartz Thu 16-Apr-15 20:13:03

Much too congested and busy there as well grin

(now I will have all the Gnetters who live in peaceful and quiet areas of Surrey and Kent posting indignantly.

£9.99 is nearly £10 though, so you will have to look after it!

boboranne Wed 29-Jul-15 12:43:15

I grew a huge pink one covering a wall , it flowered profusely , in a very hot , sunny frostfree position. This was in Queensland Australia !!

POGS Wed 29-Jul-15 20:48:24

Australia !!!!!!

I planted in a pot and I have had my monies worth already, a lovely plant.

Anne58 Wed 29-Jul-15 21:49:10

Mandevilla

It is a little known fact among gardeners that this plant is actually propagated from the toe nail cuttings of Peter Mandelson. This plant was originally grown in 1953, but seemed to be a less than strong specimen at that time, however a moderate amount of growth over the years seemed to indicate that the plant might be worth further horticultural interest and investment.

After intense cultivation by Blairidii Antonidicus, the initially seemingly unpromising Mandelson plant, did start to make some progress. Of course, a lot of organic matter was needed, mainly large quantities of bullshit. This did indeed stimulate growth, and for a while the plant did seem as if it might make some sort of contribution to mixed beds and borders, but would most likely need staking to maintain an upright habit and prevent drooping onto nearby plants.

There is also a bearded variety available, however it has been reported that this is particularly unreliable with regard to flowering times, and may therefore leave a gap in ones border.

dustyangel Wed 29-Jul-15 21:53:17

Well I was going to post that they do well on a north wall here in Portugal but your version is much more interesting. wink

Anne58 Wed 29-Jul-15 22:04:49

Sorry, got a bit carried away, I'll get me coat. (as they used to say in that comedy show)

Really sorry everyone, I should know better than to interfere in a serious thread, just a bit over excited tonight.
Sorry again!

POGS Wed 29-Jul-15 22:47:57

Phoenix

Thank goodness for humour.

grin

Nelliemoser Wed 29-Jul-15 23:20:20

Very pretty. I have never heard of them before, they look as if they would be tender.

Nelliemoser Wed 29-Jul-15 23:23:13

Phoenix grin grin grin
You have just given me something to smile about.

dustyangel Thu 30-Jul-15 11:39:33

Made me laugh again this morning Phoenix. grin