Gransnet forums

Gardening

I'll never trust Monty Don again

(26 Posts)
Wobblybits Sun 23-Oct-16 13:41:40

Following Monty Don's advice this week, I have been removing the immature figs from my trees.

I now have burns and blisters up my arms and the itch like hell, now I find that the latex sap is dangerous. I had to shave my arms to get it off, dosed up with anti histamine and liberally applied AH creme, has helped but still red and blistered.

whitewave Sun 23-Oct-16 13:48:34

Oh wobble that's bad luck it doesn't affect me.

Anniebach Sun 23-Oct-16 13:50:52

Aww, poor you,M hope it clears soon

Anya Sun 23-Oct-16 13:56:21

Blimey! Just as well you didn't eat any shock

merlotgran Sun 23-Oct-16 14:04:38

Heavens. I didn't know that. I must have tough old skin because I've done my fig tree as well (prompted by Monty)

The only thing that affects me is accidentally brushing past Giant Hogweed. Nasty stuff.

Wobblybits Sun 23-Oct-16 15:27:20

Eating them is fine, just as well we love them. it is the sap that is the irritant. It has eased off now, just a few blisters. Normally I don't have many immature fruits to take off, this year there are hundreds, will wear gloves and an old shirt for the rest.

rosesarered Sun 23-Oct-16 21:54:12

You need to be careful about all sorts of things in the garden and wear long sleeves and gloves.Ivy, for instance, and all plants that exude sap.

phoenix Sun 23-Oct-16 22:06:43

My fig tree sets fruits that then drop off while still small! Have never managed to get even a single one to eat.

Penstemmon Sun 23-Oct-16 22:39:05

Wobbly was it sunny when yo ere taking the figs off? It is a UV reaction with the sap that causes the blistering. Happens with other sappy plants. No reaction without sunshine!!

Eloethan Sun 23-Oct-16 23:49:35

That sounds horrible wobbly. Hope you're feeling better now.

Tizliz Mon 24-Oct-16 12:10:28

Giant Hogweed is very nasty stuff and should be got rid of asap. Get touched by it then go out in the sun and you will get very nasty blisters. The Victorians have a lot to answer for.

HildaW Mon 24-Oct-16 13:31:37

What a shame....but its not really Monty's fault....sorry I won't have a word said against him.

Hope you get better soon!

PRINTMISS Mon 24-Oct-16 15:24:13

Sorry, this is nothing to do with the OP, but reminded me of a teacher at school, who taught music and singing and insisted on the correct pronunciation of every word of the hymn because when she was little and belonged to the Salvation Army, she wondered why they all wanted to the given the "Figtree" - "And give us the Victory"!.

merlotgran Mon 24-Oct-16 15:33:56

Your post has made me chuckle, HildaW. I remember Alan Titchmarsh probably going home with his ego well and truly pricked after his live webchat on here.

He seemed quite put out that you prefer Monty. grin

Falconbird Mon 24-Oct-16 15:39:26

Sorry to hear about the burns and blisters Wobbly. Gardens can be dangerous place. I pulled a hamstring when my dh was alive. I could hardly walk for 6 weeks. I did it pulling up Monbretia. Don't have a garden now and quite relived. I have a nice park nearby and a cycle track with lots of wild roses and other things I don't know the names of - very pretty.

Auntieflo Mon 24-Oct-16 16:33:21

Wobbly, hope the burns and blisters heal soon. I got the same sort of thing, many years ago now, from pulling up some Rue. It took ages to get better, sorry, you don't want that sort of chat. Gardens can be wonderful,but do bite back at times. I broke my wrist while wrestling with a shrub that didn't want to be moved.

Wobblybits Mon 24-Oct-16 16:57:32

Much better today, still a bit itchy, but fine. Monty might have warned us, but I do like him.

HildaW Mon 24-Oct-16 19:46:10

So glad Wobblybits......allergic reactions are deeply unpleasant - no laughing matter really.

etheltbags1 Mon 24-Oct-16 22:44:48

Darling Monty, I love him, I too have done my brown turkey figs but I left the immature ones on like he said, they are next year's fruit, I have enjoyed the big ones I picked. He said to leave the ones less than the size of a pea and I did. I've recorded GW so I will check whatever actually said.

Wobblybits Tue 25-Oct-16 07:09:50

Yes that's right, take off all the immature fruits apart from those smaller than a pea. Monty said that if you don;t it will inhibit the production of next years fruit. Such a shame, I have already removed hundreds of fruits and I have only done 1/3 of the two trees.

Synonymous Fri 18-Nov-16 22:34:28

Wobbly So sorry for you that you have this awful problem. shock

I don't know how to post the link and hope I have it right but if you look at this it will explain it. www.flyingdoc.co.uk/fig_tree_revenge.htm

Synonymous Fri 18-Nov-16 22:36:00

PS I wonder if Monty is aware of this danger!

Nelliemoser Sat 19-Nov-16 10:28:21

Rosesared is right. Not every one is affected by such things people react to all different sorts of plants.

The latex type sap is one of the more common offenders.
Euphorbia is a particular offender. and it's a quite widely used plant.

Here you go a list to make you feel itchy.

www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=524

Luckylegs9 Wed 14-Dec-16 06:42:13

I think Monty, bring a sensitive soul, should come round and look after you until you are quite recovered, he could attend to your garden at the same time.

Granarchist Thu 22-Dec-16 13:04:55

If I had taken Monty's advice I would never had had the fabulous sweet peas for my daughter's wedding. He said sowing in early spring is just as good as October/November. This is utter rubbish. I do both every year. The wedding was second weekend in June and the wedding sweetpeas were magnificent. Those sown in the spring were nothing like ready to cut.