Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

DIL posh family - advice needed

(307 Posts)
Silverberry Thu 28-Dec-23 17:08:21

Just wanted some advice. I have one DS who is married with children. Whilst we are comfortable, my DIL comes from a much richer and more upper class family. My son is incredibly bright, going to Oxford and has a really well paid good career. He married a lovely girl who he met there who is always very polite and welcoming but there has always been an undercurrent of knowing that we are not the normal type of people she is used to. She isn’t snobby or rude and is welcoming but it’s just an unacknowledged obvious thing.

Her family are much richer then ours, her father is incredibly successful (they own 5 houses) and are obviously very generous with the grandchildren which we are not able to be. They are also very generous with ds/DIL which we can’t be. For example I found out her parents give her £5000 as a gift to buy something nice for Christmas. Again they are never anything but polite to us, but it’s clear that we aren’t their sort of people.

My grandchildren are just so different to us, they have been sent to private school and whilst they do seem to love us, are quite clearly much closer to her family. Over Christmas I used the words settee and lounge and was corrected by my GD, my DIL winced with embarrassment as she obviously wants me to feel welcome but obviously my GC are being taught not to use ‘lower-class’ words like us. Another example is stockings. We still do stockings for our children (2) which are cheap and cheerful, but I recently found out that when my DS has Christmas with his in laws they do him a stocking with really nice presents. Now I feel like it was rude for me not to do one for my DIL, but she wouldn’t want our cheap one anyway. When we’ve bought her presents in the past she’s always been very polite but they don’t get used. For example we bought her a footstool we thought she would like, but DS said we shouldn’t have as she is very into interiors and likes to pick everything herself. I’ve only seen it used once and obviously that was to be polite.

I probably sound jealous and of course it would be nice to have more money, but I think it boils down to knowing in my heart we will never measure up to her family in generosity and that they are already so much closer. It doesn’t help we are the ‘paternal grandparents’.

Am very proud of my DS for moving on up in the world and we have a great relationship, but am I just destined to be a poor relation and is there anything I can do.

ginny Thu 28-Dec-23 17:15:52

You don’t need to do anything. Your DIL is obviously fond of you and makes you welcome. Her parents are just being themselves . You say your GC love you and you have a great relationship with your son. What’s the problem ?

Joseann Thu 28-Dec-23 17:16:52

For goodness sake! Do you go looking for things that upset you on purpose? Life's too short for that. I would just live and let live.

Judy54 Thu 28-Dec-23 17:17:36

No there is nothing you can do except accept that this is the Person your Son chose to marry. Your DIL sounds as though she is a lovely person and is kind and caring towards you. Please don't let differences in backgrounds and her Parents wealth spoil the relationship you have with her, your Son and Grandchildren. Everyone is different and class or lack of it should never become an issue in family relationships. Love what you have and be yourself and most of all please don't put yourself down as the poor relation, you are worth more that that!

Callistemon21 Thu 28-Dec-23 17:19:53

Just be yourselves, it sounds as if you all have an amicable relationship.

Personally, I wouldn't buy any furniture for my DIL unless she chose it.

And - is settee Non-U? I call it a settee, what is the correct word?
I also say sitting-room, that's probably worse still!

rafichagran Thu 28-Dec-23 17:24:45

What words should you use instead of setee and lounge.

OldFrill Thu 28-Dec-23 17:25:44

Dear oh dear serve up cockles and winkles and wear your pinny on Sundays you can be the characture you think they see.
Or just accept yourself for who you are and enjoy the time you have with them. You're overthinking it.

Shelflife Thu 28-Dec-23 17:26:22

Your son's in laws seem to be lovely people who like you. Don't try to measure up , just accept the differences and rejoice in your son and his family. Be true to your self and stop worrying! Good luck.

welbeck Thu 28-Dec-23 17:26:38

settee and lounge ?? really, in one sentence ?

Stansgran Thu 28-Dec-23 17:28:03

Chaise longue and drawing roomgrin

welbeck Thu 28-Dec-23 17:30:19

well you better keep reading U and non-U terms, and see what will come up next.

RosiesMaw Thu 28-Dec-23 17:32:30

Just checking the date of your post, yes, 2023 not 1923 or 1823!

Be yourselves- anybody who is so snooty as to judge people because they say “settee” instead of “sofa” or “lounge” instead of “sitting room “ is still in the Dark Ages . This is no longer the U and Non-U world of Nancy Mitford. Remember how the Princess of Wales’s mother had to put up with “Doors to manual” when Kate was courting Prince William? She rose above it and didn’t let herself be put down.
Don’t apologise or cringe or blush. Your DIL chose your son and he is the product of your upbringing.

Callistemon21 Thu 28-Dec-23 17:34:20

Well, I don't like the word 'sofa' so I shall continue to use the word settee.

Sorry, Nancy Mitford

Hope this helps:
www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/3qF356d7d2D6h98CdCWxf8z/ten-words-that-prove-you-arent-posh

CoolCoco Thu 28-Dec-23 17:36:09

Your DiL sounds lovely and she obviously has a lot of great qualities and your son loves her - What’s not to like? Don’t buy her presents which may not be to her taste - always difficult to judge. Maybe ask your DS for suggestions - it doesn’t have to be expensive - her favourite hand cream, for example? There’s no point in beating yourself up - be happy for them !

biglouis Thu 28-Dec-23 17:38:55

Settee = sofa

Lounge = sitting room or drawing room (comes from the old fashioned "withdrawing room" away from the public entertaining rooms in great houses.

Part of my study of historic costume led me to study etiquette. I even learned to curtsy correctly when I did amateur dramatics.

sodapop Thu 28-Dec-23 17:51:52

Inverted snobbery Silverberry your daughter in law comes from a different background. No rights or wrongs just different. Accept the differences and be happy your son has found someone he loves.
As Shelflife said be true to yourself and stop worrying.

Grandma70s Thu 28-Dec-23 17:52:11

Callistemon21

Well, I don't like the word 'sofa' so I shall continue to use the word settee.

Sorry, Nancy Mitford

Hope this helps:
www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/3qF356d7d2D6h98CdCWxf8z/ten-words-that-prove-you-arent-posh

I don’t use any of the words on that BBC list, so I must be posh!

ronib Thu 28-Dec-23 18:02:44

You don’t know how very lucky you are to have children who are not divorced/divorcing. I would thank your lucky stars that your son seems to have found the perfect soul mate - long may it last.
The trend now in modern life is to have low tolerance and very little give and take or so it seems to me …. Perhaps having real wealth in your dil’s family has contributed to higher contentment and security? Long may the relationship thrive!

MerylStreep Thu 28-Dec-23 18:09:25

The problem is all in your head, not your daughter in laws.
A footstool is a strange present to buy for someone you obviously don’t know very well.

pascal30 Thu 28-Dec-23 18:16:16

Have you noticed the difference between Zara Tindell and her husband in terms of original wealth. It hasn't apparently affected the relationship between the Princess Royal and the other MIL.. and it certainly hasn't affected their marriage...you can see how happy they are.. they are all family now.. as are you.. Just be yourself ... we are all uniquely special in our own way..

VioletSky Thu 28-Dec-23 18:16:31

This completely sounds like a you problem...

You really need to stop overthinking it

Love is free

GrannyGrunter Thu 28-Dec-23 18:18:50

As long as you don't say toilet, because that would upset them because the Royal family always say Lavatory.

Be grateful that your son has married into money instead of having to scrimp and scrape like many people's sons and daughters. You did this, sending him to Oxford because if he had not gone there perhaps he would not be in the fantastic position he is in now. I would be over the moon for him, as long as they are happy, then so should you.

Casdon Thu 28-Dec-23 18:21:26

I can give some gift advice - buy artisan food products, small batch local alcohol, and handmade crafts as presents for your DiL, and seek out the more wacky stocking fillers for your grandchildren (peashooters, fart cushions, flipping fish etc. that they can have fun with, and you can too). Something edible and/or unusual always goes down well with adults, cost is unimportant. I think if you lighten up and stop worrying you’ll be much happier, and have some fun with your family.

mumofmadboys Thu 28-Dec-23 18:26:14

No-one should judge another person on how much money they have. Best to judge people on qualities such as kindness, gentleness,compassion and awareness of others needs. Far more important

Theexwife Thu 28-Dec-23 18:27:16

You cannot change the situation so you have to work on changing your attitude and stop comparing yourself to others.

There are always going to be others that are in a different situation to you, it does not make them better or worse.

I am sure you do not feel superior to those that you would consider financially or socially not on your level.