Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Apparent Lack of care shown

(57 Posts)
NannySue45 Wed 14-Feb-24 16:05:31

My husband has prostate cancer and he (and I) get upset that our daughter shows no concern for his health. She never asks either of us how he is. She is so wrapped up in her own life that she doesn't appear to give us any consideration. It's hurtful.

Primrose53 Wed 14-Feb-24 16:17:19

Some people are just like that sadly. I don’t think there is much you can do apart from asking her directly why she seems not at all bothered. Take care.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 14-Feb-24 16:19:38

She may find it difficult to process and not mentioning it could be her way of dealing with it, almost pretending it’s not happening.

Marydoll Wed 14-Feb-24 16:20:45

Perhaps she is afraid to ask, because she knows the news may not be positive.

I'm not saying I condone it, but sometimes our children don't want to accept that we will eventually not be here.

BlueBelle Wed 14-Feb-24 16:36:38

I agree with GSMand marydoll she may not know what to say and if you don’t acknowledge something it ‘may not be true’ she may be very frightened to hear of her dads frailty and not know what to say and by saying nothing she’s swept it under the carpet and doesn’t have to think about it
It may not be thoughtless or unkind she may be trying to preserve herself

Georgesgran Wed 14-Feb-24 16:44:41

Don’t know if this might help, but the DDs and I had a family WhatsApp and I posted on DH’s condition regularly, especially after Hospital appointments and various treatments. They then used to text/ring/visit depending on my bulletin.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 14-Feb-24 16:45:18

You’ve put it so much better than I did Marydoll and BlueBelle. If I don’t mention it, it’s not real.

Marydoll Wed 14-Feb-24 16:57:29

Germanshepherdsmum

You’ve put it so much better than I did Marydoll and BlueBelle. If I don’t mention it, it’s not real.

I know, because I have been there with my own children. It isn't that they don't care, they are afraid of the future.

DH has a WhatsApp with them, to keep them up to date if I am in hospital. I then WhatApp them myself and give the correct version. wink

Norah Wed 14-Feb-24 17:03:58

Perhaps, because parents say "I'm fine" -- she believes that? We never tell our children much of the full truth until things are over.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 14-Feb-24 17:05:36

That’s so true, Norah.

Georgesgran Wed 14-Feb-24 17:13:35

DH always told the DDs he was better than he was (except when he obviously wasn’t) so the WhatsApp group came in handy to keep them properly informed.

dragonfly46 Wed 14-Feb-24 17:19:41

When I was diagnosed with breast cancer my DD dropped everything, was there for my op nd came to chemo with me. My DS still cannot talk about it as it scares him.

GrannySomerset Wed 14-Feb-24 17:25:41

It took our DD several years to accept her father’s Parkinson’s, and only in his final months did she acknowledge how ill he was. She has always avoided the unpleasant so this was just her way of handling a frightening and depressing reality. DS, like me, prefers to face things head on and was a great support. We just have to accept that our children won’t necessarily react like us.

Tenko Wed 14-Feb-24 17:42:57

It may be her way of dealing with it and trying to process her fathers illness. Many AC think we’re invincible and will always be there and it’s hard for them to get their heads around illness.
Also many of us say we’re fine and don’t tell our kids the truth.
Is she like this normally and shows no interest or is it since your DH became ill?

Oreo Wed 14-Feb-24 17:44:10

I think OP that if this is so concerning for you, then say something to her.Discuss your own worry about your DH and his health and see what she says? She may think you don’t want to be reminded about it, it’s unlikely she doesn’t actually care.

Grams2five Wed 14-Feb-24 18:59:26

I doubt she doesn’t care. It’s likely just a defense mechanism as she tries to process her own grief at the diagnosis. If she otherwise engages I wouldn’t take it personally or try to force information about it on her. While I’m sure some support from her would feel good we have to accept that sometimes our ac aren’t the support we need or that they’re able to give. Some people are fully engage and face it head on , take charge people and others need to disassociate somewhat to manage their own emotions. Neither is wrong just different

flappergirl Wed 14-Feb-24 19:50:00

Of course it's hurtful and whether it's her coping mechanism or not, I don't think it would do her any harm to be told. Obviously you don't want to start an enormous row, but my mother would have said something like "aren't you going to ask how your dad is".

It's all very well her having a coping mechanism (if that is indeed what it is) but that totally disregards your sensibilities which is selfish.

Norah Wed 14-Feb-24 20:12:59

Grams2five

I doubt she doesn’t care. It’s likely just a defense mechanism as she tries to process her own grief at the diagnosis. If she otherwise engages I wouldn’t take it personally or try to force information about it on her. While I’m sure some support from her would feel good we have to accept that sometimes our ac aren’t the support we need or that they’re able to give. Some people are fully engage and face it head on , take charge people and others need to disassociate somewhat to manage their own emotions. Neither is wrong just different

I agree.

Everyone processes in their own way and not everyone wants to talk on and on. I'd never assume poorly. I'm quiet, taught our children same, and would think they were just pondering alone.

Eg: I answered a post, today. Later thought after "how in the world do I know anything that personal, why was I told?"

Privacy and managing one's own emotions - well done.

V3ra Wed 14-Feb-24 20:36:53

Sometimes it's the other way round: I phoned my Mum at home for a normal routine chat one evening many years ago, and Dad told me she was in hospital for an operation.
That was the first I'd heard she'd got that particular medical issue!
Their reasoning was that there was nothing I could have done and they hadn't liked to worry me 🤷

Grams2five Wed 14-Feb-24 20:49:05

flappergirl

Of course it's hurtful and whether it's her coping mechanism or not, I don't think it would do her any harm to be told. Obviously you don't want to start an enormous row, but my mother would have said something like "aren't you going to ask how your dad is".

It's all very well her having a coping mechanism (if that is indeed what it is) but that totally disregards your sensibilities which is selfish.

It’s perfectly fine to ask how if they’d like to know how dads doing ? Etc. I was simply saying that I wouldn’t force into a WhatsApp type thing if they’d expressing or showing they don’t want to know the day to day details yet. It may be too much for them at that time. But maybe that’s just me - I wouldn’t want to force anyone into something they weren’t ready to deal with

Grams2five Wed 14-Feb-24 20:50:06

I’m also not saying the op is forcing anyone etc I was just clarifying what I meant; which is that it’s likely just how her daughter is coping right now and it’s best to respect all of ur rights to do that as works best for us

VioletSky Wed 14-Feb-24 21:15:22

She could be struggling herself and trying not to let you see

She could be thinking you don't want to talk about it

She could be trying to keep things light and normal for your sake

Why don't you just ask her?

Madgran77 Wed 14-Feb-24 22:29:41

I think the only way to move forward is to talk to her really. There could be so many different reasons for her lack of asking about her dad. So say that you have noticed that she tends not to ask how he is and you are wondering why. Not in an accusatory or angry way; just a gentle enquiry...then see where it goes and encourage her to open up. You can talk about how you feel too in the conversation if you think that it is appropriate, depending on her answers. flowers

Shelflife Wed 14-Feb-24 23:57:43

Family dinamics can become very complex in situations like this , everyone trying to protect each other. AC often find it difficult to accept a serious illness in a parent. All I agree with Violet Sky , speak to your DD be honest with her about her father's diognosis and remember if you tell her you are fine and managing she will believe you because that is what she wants to hear. 💐

Mamasperspective Sun 18-Feb-24 11:12:31

She may think that the topic is upsetting for you and your husband or she may feel like bringing it up turns the conversation really negative and may want to try to keep the mood positive for your husband. I have a family member with the same thing and we try not to talk about it and instead create happy memories with him.