Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

mini-cheddars cheesy biscuits

(76 Posts)
Kowl Tue 02-Apr-24 09:30:47

Daughter feeds my grandchildren mini-cheddar cheesy biscuits constantly. When they come here she literally lasts 5 minutes before she's opening a packet and sticking them in their mouths. 'snacks' she calls them and thinks the children can't last long without eating some. I could write an essay on what I think about this, but I'll just post it without comment.

GrannyIvy Tue 02-Apr-24 09:52:23

I must confess I absolutely love mini cheddars myself😂 I have noticed my small GC have endless snacks between meals some healthy some unhealthy. If they are naughty mid morning or afternoon it is because they are hungry so another snack emerges!! No wonder they never eat a proper meal at mealtimes. Apparently that is the normal parenting now from what I see……

Sago Tue 02-Apr-24 09:56:13

The work of the devil!
Addictive and full of bad stuff.
The tastiest things always are.
A good alternative are pop chips.

NotSpaghetti Tue 02-Apr-24 10:17:59

I would offer other things.
My grandchildren love fruit skewers and things you can stab with a cocktail stick for example such as cucumber, avocado and cheese chunks.

Chestnut Tue 02-Apr-24 10:25:47

I don't think Mini Cheddars are as bad as some snacks, but maybe one packet a day. I looked up Popchips and they are not completely good. Highly processed foods are damaging to the body and brain, and the golden rule is whether you have any of the ingredients in your kitchen.

Ingredients of Popchips are:
Dried Potato, Rice Flour, Sunflower Oil, Potato Starch, Sour Cream & Onion Flavour [Dried Sour Cream (Milk), Dried Onion, Sugar, Yeast Extract, Potassium Chloride, Dried Whey (Milk), Dried Garlic, Maltodextrin, Salt, Natural Flavourings (contain Milk), Acid: Citric Acid, Dried Parsley], Salt

Ingredients of Mini-cheddars are:
Flour (Wheat Flour, Calcium, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin), Vegetable Oils (Palm, Sunflower), Dried Cheese (10%) (Milk) [Dried Powdered Cheese (Milk), Natural Flavouring], Sugar, Glucose Syrup, Salt, Dried Whey (Milk), Barley Malt Extract, Raising Agents (Ammonium Bicarbonate, Sodium Bicarbonate), Acid (Lactic Acid), Natural Flavourings

Grandmabatty Tue 02-Apr-24 10:26:40

Are they overweight? My grandsons, one in particular, is a grazer and can eat often but little all day. Both boys are very active and run about and play all day. I would never comment on what my daughter feeds her children. After all, she and Dsil have to manage their meals most of the time

Juliet27 Tue 02-Apr-24 10:34:04

When I was first pregnant cheeselets were the only things that stopped me feeling sick. I ate loads of them.

Georgesgran Tue 02-Apr-24 10:34:29

I agree with GBatty. I’ve noticed that both DDs have been told by Nurseries that ‘snack times’ are very important. Luckily mine are both fruit fans, although one would ‘kill’ for a bagel, while the other prefers croissants.
I wouldn’t criticise, but when they’re visiting you, perhaps have an alternative for them to try.

Pittcity Tue 02-Apr-24 10:42:16

I bought a multipack of the Aldi version. There are 10 to 12 mini cheese biscuits in a pack. I could easily eat the whole multipack.
It's healthier to eat small amounts whenever hungry than large amounts at set times. That said, variety is the spice of life.
I agree with Georgesgran don't criticise but don't indulge them when they're with you.

Coronation Tue 02-Apr-24 10:44:55

Are your grandchildren overweight and otherwise eating a healthy diet?

Callistemon21 Tue 02-Apr-24 10:52:18

I hadn't thought about mini-Cheddars for years until I read this.
Now I want some.

I used to give my DC a packet in their lunchboxes (not every day) as well as sandwiches and piece of fruit.
My DS was always hungry and a skinny bean pole.

Better than sweets, I would think.

Beechnut Tue 02-Apr-24 11:01:04

The Red Leicester ones are nice * Callistemon* 🙂

Callistemon21 Tue 02-Apr-24 11:02:42

Oh don't!

The scales tell me I shouldn't 🙂

Beechnut Tue 02-Apr-24 11:04:19

Sorry 🤣🤣

Callistemon21 Tue 02-Apr-24 11:04:52

I could buy some in case the DGC visit ....

Aveline Tue 02-Apr-24 11:13:17

I love Mini Cheddars but Twiglets are my favourite. So crunchy and satisfying. And bad sad

Callistemon21 Tue 02-Apr-24 11:16:51

Oh yes, one DD preferred Twiglets

JaneJudge Tue 02-Apr-24 11:19:20

the red leicester ones are like the crack cocaine of the mini cracker world...

Callistemon21 Tue 02-Apr-24 11:20:51

There is no hope
We're a bad influence

JaneJudge Tue 02-Apr-24 11:23:41

I can't help shoving them into my own mouth within 5 minutes of being in the same vicinity as them grin

Sarnia Tue 02-Apr-24 11:25:55

Mentioning anything to do with the way our children feed theirs is a hot potato. Processed food is not good especially if they are eating them constantly. Suggestions from you won't be welcome, so don't make any. If you have your grandchildren on your own perhaps you could be out of Mini Cheddars and have a healthier alternative. My youngest granddaughter (9) likes making a face out of fruit then eating the finished article. Worth a try.

Callistemon21 Tue 02-Apr-24 11:27:02

JaneJudge

I can't help shoving them into my own mouth within 5 minutes of being in the same vicinity as them grin

Oh, stop it
I feel the urge coming on

JaneJudge Tue 02-Apr-24 11:40:58

I've just eaten a packet sad

Kowl Tue 02-Apr-24 11:42:56

Funny replies!

My daughter is very overweight but neither of the children are (so far). I feel as if it's her 'thing' rather than the children needing to graze. It's the complaints about them not eating their meals very well that makes me roll my eyes. I don't know where my daughter's obesity comes from. I am the same size 8 that I was when I was 18. She seems to have a very unhealthy relationship with junk food and I do hate to see her obsession with sticking things in the children's mouths, literally, but I do stay quiet mostly! One thing I won't put up with is that we have a lot of musical instruments here that the children like to play, but I do say that greasy crumbly fingers do not mix with musical instruments and it does make me cross that I even need to say that.

Callistemon21 Tue 02-Apr-24 11:44:49

JaneJudge

I've just eaten a packet sad

Oooh, you are awful!
But I like you 😁