Gransnet forums

Health

Vaginal atrophy

(110 Posts)
Marelli Wed 09-Jan-13 17:21:35

I've just had a phone call from my friend who was really upset. She's been diagnosed with Vaginal Atrophy and her GP (female) says she'll just have to put up with it - it's her age....hmm. My friend (E) has had breast cancer so cannot have HRT.
She asked me to look on the internet to see if I could find out about any treatment that might be suitable for her. However, I feel that she has been treated very badly by her GP and should ask to see another doctor in the practice. She's reluctant to do this as all of the others are male.
I feel as if she has been really badly treated.

Iam64 Thu 08-Jan-15 14:26:47

Thanks Rowantree for resurrecting this thread. I missed it last time around, don't know how and am 'looking forward' to learning even more about vaginal atrophy sad

kittylester Thu 08-Jan-15 14:54:09

At the moment these threads about vaginal dryness are followed by the Dry January one which just makes me feel uncomfortable!

janerowena Thu 08-Jan-15 15:06:35

grin

I found the other newer thread first, so thanks for reviving this one. Forewarned is forearmed. I'm not surprised there is so little help, so many women used to be brought up not to speak of 'such things'. Their own parents were only perpetuating the misery, so sad. If no-one asks Drs about it, why would they bother to keep their knowledge up to date?

Coolgran65 Thu 08-Jan-15 15:18:43

Thanks for reviving this thread.....Just what I need to read.

Rowantree Thu 08-Jan-15 18:24:04

I've recently plucked up courage to see my GP about this very subject. It's been causing me misery for ages. She prescribed Canesten, followed by Vagifem. I'd been wary of using them for ages because they caused spotting and I've been told they can cause thickening of the uterus, but I don't know how big a risk that is. I am terrified of cancer - my mother died of it aged 66, which was far too young - but the GP wasn't convinced there was a risk and encouraged me to try these pessaries for a few weeks at least and to return if the breakthrough spotting continued after the first week or so. I'd just like to feel a bit more 'normal' and not suffer from the constant soreness and sometimes cracked and bleeding skin. The canesten seems to have improved the situation but it remains to be seen about the Vagifem - only just started using it! - and I still don't know what risks I'm running cancer-wise. It's useful reading what other people have posted here and in another thread though.

Crafting Thu 08-Jan-15 18:30:51

Sorry not read through all this thread so it might have been mentioned already but what about Replens. Can be bought in most chemists, has an applicator, you can use it 3 times a week or more and can also just dab a bit on (or in) anytime of the day. It works well as far as I'm concerned.

Iam64 Thu 08-Jan-15 18:36:32

Rowantree, I had to stop using Vagifam after a small bleed. It was great, while it lasted and the bleed meant I had a check up at Women's Health - which was very reassuring.

Crafting - I returned to using Replens, it's available on prescription, free for those of us old enough to qualify for free prescriptions. It helps so much with all the discomfort others have described so well smile

Rowantree Thu 08-Jan-15 18:38:06

Thanks. Iam64 and Crafting for the reference about Replens. I will definitely try that smile

Lapwing Thu 08-Jan-15 18:47:30

Crafting - replens was discussed on the 'Skin thinning - down below' thread - the last posting was at 14.26 pm. There were some helpful posts on there.