Gransnet forums

Health

Ebola

(280 Posts)
Terrafirma1 Wed 30-Jul-14 10:59:31

Should we be worried about Ebola? When I first heard about it , it seemed a long way away but now there is a case of someone who was able to travel across 3 countries by international airlines before dying in Nigeria.
As a disease it is 90% fatal and has a long incubation period - up to 21 days. With the increased ease of international and intercontinental travel - is there a real risk of it reaching Europe and the UK?

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 04-Jan-15 18:33:15

Perhaps you need to phrase things a little more carefully soontobe.

Mishap Sun 04-Jan-15 18:34:36

It is not a matter of ostracising, but taking sensible precautions, which medical and nursing professionals would understand the need for and not be upset about. Quarantine is a different thing from ostracising.

She would not have been to fellow passengers on her journey home, but possibly to her family and her partner who would have closer contact with her and potentially her bodily fluids when she arrived home.

One of my concerns was that she said she felt unwell at the airport but still was sent on her way. It might have been better to play it safe for the sake of her family.

When you say that everything was done correctly, that was correctly according to the current protocols. I am querying those protocols in the light of what has happened. There is no hysteria, but the protocols should be kept under review.

soontobe Sun 04-Jan-15 18:38:53

I do try jingl. I will try harder.

Mishap Sun 04-Jan-15 18:39:32

"been a danger"