Gransnet forums

Health

thank you

(39 Posts)
willsandco Mon 01-Sep-14 17:04:23

A year ago, I was on this forum trying to understand why my health was playing me up, Eventually in mid March 2014 I was diagnosed with bulbar onset motor neurone disease and will never forget the support I got from so many of you. The Icebucket Challenge is all around us and if anyone of you did the challenge or donated, I would just like to thank you on behalf of all us folk with MND, our carers and our family and friends. I have almost lost my ability to speak now, I have a text to speech application on my IPAD, I have a magic stick to help propel me along and a wheelchair waiting in the garage for the future. But I am not downhearted. While I am relatively mobile, we have been dashing up and down the country visiting special family and friends and special places. In fact, we have had a really good time with lots of fun and laughter. So, for anyone who has got involved, thank you so much xx

Mishap Mon 01-Sep-14 17:06:46

So good to hear from you wills and to know that you are enjoying life. And isn't technology wonderful? - so pleased that it is working for you.

Charleygirl Mon 01-Sep-14 17:09:23

I agree, delighted to hear that you are making the most out of each day.

kittylester Mon 01-Sep-14 17:15:32

Thank you for letting us know how you are! flowers

Lona Mon 01-Sep-14 17:18:29

Good to know that you are making the most of every moment wills.flowers and sunshine

MiniMouse Mon 01-Sep-14 17:25:29

Hope you continue to enjoy your gallivanting & making the most of things smile flowers

annodomini Mon 01-Sep-14 18:00:03

So pleased to hear from you again, wills. You are an inspiration. I'm sure you have heard that before, but it's true. sunshine flowers

Marelli Mon 01-Sep-14 18:08:25

It's so good of you to get in touch again, wills. The best of wishes to you for the future. flowersx

merlotgran Mon 01-Sep-14 18:16:48

My very best wishes, wills. Your positive attitude is an inspiration.

Eloethan Mon 01-Sep-14 18:31:02

wills As others have said, what an inspiration you are. I'm glad that you're having fun and meeting up with friends and family. I hope you will keep in touch with us on Gransnet now and again to let us know how you are and what you're doing.

nightowl Mon 01-Sep-14 18:59:39

wills you are one if the most amazing people I have ever encountered. Thank you so much for coming back to let us know how you are. I hope the progress of this horrible illness will be slow for you ((hugs))

glassortwo Mon 01-Sep-14 19:16:40

Its good to see you on Gn again wills thanks for keeping us in the picture. sunshine

shysal Mon 01-Sep-14 19:47:20

Pleased to hear that your travels went well, wills. Hope that wheelchair won't be needed for some time!

willsandco Mon 01-Sep-14 20:14:11

will keep in touch on this thread so look out for it! We have been away for three weeks touring around Scotland, just now at daughters at Consett and going home tomorrow. Haven't stopped really since I was diagnosed, just wanted to go around and see family and friends before it kicked in. But it hasn't kicked in yet.........! speak soon xx

Grannyknot Mon 01-Sep-14 20:22:42

wills you are amazing! Wonderful to have an update flowers

Keep popping back. smile

POGS Mon 01-Sep-14 20:23:07

Willsandco

Your new post is like a breath of fresh air. It is a pleasure to reply to you.

You sound an absolutely lovely person and if you are finding fun with all your woes that must be purely down to your view on life and that has rubbed off onto those who meet you. You have to give out love, humour and kindness to get it back and it sounds as though you do just that by the bucket full.

It is rare to find someone who shows no outward sign of self pity and facing up to the hardship life has cruelly dealt them with such an obviously amazing courage alongside the ability to find laughter, joy and good friendships which keep you going I'm sure.

I have a dear friend with a similar outlook, although different health issues. She inspires us all and I am so proud to be her friend and I can only assume that is how your friends and family think of you.

I think those of us who have either taken part in the Ice Bucket Challenge or donated to your charity will be so pleased they took part.

flowers. wine

willsandco Mon 01-Sep-14 21:42:38

POGS this terminal illness has focussed my whole being on the joys of what is around me and intensified the love I have for family and friends. I feel somehow privileged that God has given me this time to thank Him for all the happiness I have had in my life and for the tremendous relationships I have with everyone. Not everyone has that time. Sometimes in life, death comes so fast no one has time to tell anyone how they feel. Everyone in my life knows exactly how much I love them. xx

janerowena Mon 01-Sep-14 21:46:23

Wonderful to have heard from you, and may your final months be peaceful ones. x

penguinpaperback Mon 01-Sep-14 22:01:49

I remember you wills smile I have a different terminal illness and have been fortunate to have had a long time to get used to things. I still struggle at times so I'm full of admiration and can relate to your thoughts. I wish you many happy times to come. flowers

durhamjen Mon 01-Sep-14 22:36:19

wills, I'm 8 miles away from your daughter, along the Lanchester Valley railway.

My husband had cerebellar ataxia, which has the same prognosis as MND. Like MND, you do not have to die of it, and you can live for years, not months. Hope you do.

POGS Mon 01-Sep-14 22:37:21

Dear Willsandco

You are truly a person with a most generous heart. I think your words are beautiful.

Soutra Mon 01-Sep-14 22:50:19

Willsandco how lovely to hear from you. I was just thinking the other dsx of xour beautiful wedding pics! You are one heck of a lady and I can only wish you and your family all the joy and love in the world. flowers

harrigran Tue 02-Sep-14 00:19:30

My very best wishes to you willsandco. DS and DIL live just up the road from your DD.

willsandco Tue 02-Sep-14 10:01:06

Hello all. Just replying to Durhamjen really. The strain I have of MND is bulbar onset MND. It is fast moving and definitely terminal. I will die probably within months, not years. (Some people struggle along with MND for years, like Stephen Hawkinge, but he has a different strain from mine) There is no treatment and absolutely no cure. The professionals say that the average life expectancy from diagnosis averages out at 16 months. I was diagnosed mid March 2014 so I should see this Christmas out but probably not the next one. But, whatever, I am not despondent, not gnashing my teeth. God sends you these challenges and I am just decided to live with MND, not die with it. Today I feel really well and I thank God for every day that I do. Thank you so much all for your good wishes. xx

KatyK Tue 02-Sep-14 10:05:56

willsandco what a truly inspirational and wonderful woman you are. flowers We have a hospital appointment today to find out when my husband's radiotherapy will begin for his prostate cancer. I woke this morning full of apprehension and fear. Your post has made me realise how lucky we are and that our troubles are not so bad. You are amazing. flowers